100$ or under in-ear monitors that are durable and are to be used for a wide variety of genres
Oct 15, 2013 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pinkbunnyhunter

New Head-Fier
Needs:
1.  100 $ max iem
2. Listening on laptop and phone
3. Genres from classical to whatever you wish (aside from hip-hop/rap)
4. Sound should be able to be a bit bassy but balanced overall

Facts:
1. I have bought only 1 pair of headphones up until now (brainwavz m2) which had 1 canal dieing on me after I threw them gently on my bed after only 2 months of use- I'm no flinstone, the bed is not made out of rock
2. I have done some searching but there's a jungle of reviews out there and it's too hard for me
3. I have been fairly satisfied with the quality and sound of those brainwavz m2's
4. There is no way for me to test the headphones before I buy them as i live in romania and there is only 1 (ONE!!!) shop which is dedicated to headphones and such and it sells everything with 25-50% more than what you can order from anywhere else...
5. I think I have not been that abusive to my previous headphones.
6. I do not have money to buy multiple headphones to test them, change them or whatnot. I want to buy one pair and use it for some good 2-3 years as I have used the iem's that came with my previous and current phone (samsung galaxy s and an i9070 s advance) before they get worn out (plastic gets from whit to yellow, loses some of its elastic properties, breaks or one of the canals stop working)

Thank you very much for your help and have a good day!

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 6
  You can get either

Monster Gratitude for $60 (retail price of $229!) 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/559861/monster-gratitude-live-music-iems

or RE-400 for $99
http://www.head-fi.org/t/653370/review-hifiman-re400-waterline-the-new-reference

Both perform well above their current price

Yes when I first searched for IEM's I took everything which was under $100 from the summer buy guide. These two were there.

After little search I found out that Monster Gratitude have a very weak bass and RE-400 is just at the limit of $100, I'm willing to buy these after I'm more sure I'm making the right choice.

They say that RE-400 is fairly neutral in how they sound and i'm not sure what that means. The default samsung iem's don't really emphasize any range but they don't sound that well, they're just like your standard iphone earbuds. The m2 on the other hand had a killer bass, average mids and treble. By killer bass I mean that when a song had some bassy moments the bass was the only thing that could be heard. I did not really like this but the sound quality was still better than what I had before anyway. I'm really uncertain as of how the re-400 sound and of what I can do if I don't like them.

2nd edit: There is also this really odd thing about the Monster Gratitude going from $230 to $60 and being discontinued by the manufacturer fairly early(??) which is weird. Plus the reviews of it are fairly mixed. When I bought the Brainwavz M2 everyone was saying they have great build and nice sound for the price and they still broke in 2 months and sound wasn't that incredible, better but not so great. With the Monster Gratitude the reviews aren't even that one-sided ...if I buy this will it sound horrid and have it die in 1 week after less than 15 hours of use?

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 6

Yes when I first searched for IEM's I took everything which was under $100 from the summer buy guide. These two were there.

After little search I found out that Monster Gratitude have a very weak bass and RE-400 is just at the limit of $100, I'm willing to buy these after I'm more sure I'm making the right choice.

They say that RE-400 is fairly neutral in how they sound and i'm not sure what that means. The default samsung iem's don't really emphasize any range but they don't sound that well, they're just like your standard iphone earbuds. The m2 on the other hand had a killer bass, average mids and treble. By killer bass I mean that when a song had some bassy moments the bass was the only thing that could be heard. I did not really like this but the sound quality was still better than what I had before anyway. I'm really uncertain as of how the re-400 sound and of what I can do if I don't like them.

2nd edit: There is also this really odd thing about the Monster Gratitude going from $230 to $60 and being discontinued by the manufacturer fairly early(??) which is weird. Plus the reviews of it are fairly mixed. When I bought the Brainwavz M2 everyone was saying they have great build and nice sound for the price and they still broke in 2 months and sound wasn't that incredible, better but not so great. With the Monster Gratitude the reviews aren't even that one-sided ...if I buy this will it sound horrid and have it die in 1 week after less than 15 hours of use?

It's in your best interest to repost your concerns on the aforementioned threads as in there the users who have owned the respective IEMs extensively will be able to answer your questions more accurately

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 6

The Monster Gratitude does NOT have weak bass. It's quantity is actually quite a lot, but it's dependent on getting a good seal, which is fairly easy since they give you 16 different tips. It's not overpowering though, it doesn't really cover the rest of the range, but it's definitely more than the RE400. 

I will say I own both, and I would most likely suggest Monster Gratitude based off your posts. It's bassier than the RE-400, and most likely more durable. I will admit that I only got them yesterday, however based of my other Monster DNA's I have which have taken a beating but have no broke on me, I have better luck than my RE-400's that crapped out on me in two and half weeks. The RE400 is a great headphone, but the sound started to crap out in the right ear in two and half weeks (related posts about in the dedicated Head-Fi thread numerous times by others having the same problem). The resolution and clarity of the Gratitude isn't as good as the RE400, but it's pretty darn close.  For $60, they are a steal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back