~100$ Closed, bassy, immersive, comfortable over ear ? And a sound card ?!
Jul 2, 2013 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HiCZoK

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. I am new here and it's my first post so Hi !
I am 24yo graduate of University in Poland. IT and Econometrics with IT speciality is my degree. I am a gamer since 1997, as my parents got myself first pc. After that I was building my pc's myself. Right now I've built pc about 6 months ago. It's pretty good win7x64 machine with 2500k clocked at 4.6, 7870 from gigabyte, 8gb of ram, etc etc etc. Everything enclosed in a good fractal case so it does a very good job of shielding (on my last case I could hear my pc processing in hadphones). I also have a gf. She is 23 and we are together for 5years now. Time goes fast like crazy. ANYWAY - That's enough of silly introductions :p Let me go straight to the question now, and there are actually several of questions.

I never cared too much about sound in my pc. I had live! 5.1 and audigy se but I dont have a sound card, amplifier or anything besides onboard alc892 for years now. I have dtt2200 cambridge speakers for 12years and they are nice and will outlive me. It's a 5.1 setup and I've removed 3 speakers so it is a pretty good 2.1 setup. I don't use speakers much anyway. It is all about headphones for me.

I was always getting this gamer grade stuff (i know). Now I have Creative Tactic Sigma. I think they are pretty good headphone but bass is all muddy, cable is terrible and they are not isolation inside and outside at all. Comfort is good but the plastic and squeeking of it is a bit too much.

I am looking for Closed, over-ear headphone around 100$. nothing too fancy. I would like it to at least feel durable and have detachable cable. I want the isolation because of my gf at evenings. I don't want to disturb her too much and i like to immerse myself in movie/game. Also - i don't think I like velour pads. Those get dirty and sweaty quickly. i prefer rubber/skin pads.
As far as the sound goes - I am not expecting miracles for 100 bucks. I am mainly gaming (singleplayer - immersion), watching movies and listening to soundtracks of all kind. I like some vibrant bass but not to destroy the sound with stupid amounts of it. I want to be "in the game" and feel the atmosphere. Comfort is on first place here.
As for the sound card/amp or anything. I did some reading and wanted to get fiio e7 at first, Then changed my mind for xonard dg... Now I think I will get Sound Blaster Z as it have additional amped headphone output and seems to be a good sound card overall. I also have a 360 and I am still not sure how I will connect 360 and pc to the same speakers and hp, without removing cables.. I was never good at those things :p

Help is appreciated. please look mostly on those 2 sites and keep the price below 400pln if possible, Thanks :)
Ceneo.pl
Allegro.pl

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 9
The XB700s are a super bass heavy headphone. SRH440 will have great mids and highs, but a lot of bass roll off starting in the midbass.

See if the Creative Aurvana Live! are available in your area. Here is a review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

Jul 3, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks. All 3 headphones recommended above are available at good prices here with cal being cheapest.

My findings about above.
Cal!- good sq and reasonable bass. People say that comfort is ok but durability is weak.
Cable is not detachable but it is v style with no mic so reataching it should be easy if singing happens.

Xb700 - comfort and bass. Pour cable and weirdly attached. To the buds. Also rather hard to find but available.

Razer - most razer look comfortable but i don't know about sq. Isn't it usb ? If so getting sbz is pointless

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 9
And how about XB-600 ?

Price is lower than cal.
have memory foams, people say it is very comfortable

And about sound quality - some say those are much better than xb500 and some say those crap compared to xb500. They look kinda comfy and price is appealing tho. 

btw - any good wireless stuff ?

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 9
The CAL is going to be your best bet for gaming (and enjoying music) under $100 - under $50 you may want to look into the Koss PortaPro.  The CAL is going to be the more comfortable out of the two.  I have experience with both, so I can easily recommend them depending on your preferred price point.  The CAL is currently on Amazon for $60, which is insanely good for how well they perform IMO.  The bass on the Sony XB series is going to be way over emphasized and bloated, which will have a negative affect bleeding into the mids.  The CAL uses a fairly rare bio-cellulose driver - the OEM is Fostex (also the OEM for Denon) and the technology was developed by Sony and used in some of their high-end headphones, including the highly-lauded R10.  The application is different of course, but every headphone that uses the technology seems to be favorable one way or another.  Because of the nature of this driver material, you need to give them at least 100 hours for the driver to fully break in.  I've experienced this with both my former CAL (now owned by my brother) and my current GR07, which uses the same technology.  Beyond the science behind it, I think the CAL is one of the best performers under $100 for those that like a warm signature (i.e. bass tilt) that does so without negatively impacting the rest of the frequency range.

I can't comment on any wireless solutions, but MLE over on his gaming headphone thread has given praise to the Skullcandy PLYR 1 wireless headset, but it will be a bit above your price range.

Hope that helps!

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Very informative post. Thanks!

I am only worried about cal build quality. As far as sound and price goes, i am more than willing to get em !
Just notice there are also skullcandy hesh 2 headphones. Price is a bit higher than cal but other characteristics fit. I will read some reviews on them but I predict poor sq :lol: its skullcandy afterall

edit: actually that skullcandy wireles plyr headset seems kinda interesting - reading on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back