$100 Budget Gaming Card?
Nov 18, 2008 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zzbloopzz

Head-Fier
I'm back into PC gaming after many years. I suspect my onboard Realtek ALC889A will need replacing
icon10.gif
. What is a good PCI sound card for under $100, primarily for gaming. Don't mind buying used. I have seen the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty sell for as low as $80 shipped, which is what I am currently leaning towards. Looking for the best bang for my buck.

I won't be watching any movies, just casual electronica/hip hop music. I take it that most modern cards will be good enough for music thus my focus is best for gaming. I mainly play shooters so accuracy is important to judge where other players are located.

I will be using Windows XP until this summer where I will finally migrate to Vista. My issue is the Creative driver support with Vista, and if EAX is even worth it for games for headphones. I will be using only headphones while gaming.

Source:

Sound Card > Logitech Z-560 > Fiio E5 (Once it's released) > AD700's.

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 8
I played many a year of competitive 1.6 and can say that judging where players are is mostly dependant upon yourself with your setup and on that map. Some cards may offer you a bit of extra seperation and soundstaging but realistically dont expect a huge difference in your play with a new card.
That x-fi does seem like a great deal, seems you may want to snap that up. You would probably see greater gains by going:
Soundcard lineout -> fiio -> headphones
or Soundcard headphone out -> headphones in the interum instead of going through the speakers.

My input.
Dave

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 8
Nov 19, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Great, thanks guys.

I'm going to grab the X-Fi XtremeGamer, non Fatal1ty. Since we are so close to around black friday I am going to wait a bit for sales. I remember seeing the same card brand new for $50 shipped once.

I also forgot my case has front audio ports, so I will hook that up to the X-Fi and use that for headphones instead of going through the Logitechs.

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by leberserkfury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For 50 bucks, it sounds pretty good. I might hit up the black friday sale too.

Just check slickdeals.net everyday. :c)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back