★★ What is the Top 3-5 portable amps WITHOUT a DAC? ★★
Mar 6, 2017 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PanzerIV

100+ Head-Fier
Here's what I currently use for my portable setup:
Headphone = Beyerdynamic T90
Amp = Fiio E12 "Bass/Cross Disabled, Low Gain usualy at 12'o"
DAP = Fiio X5 II

It seems like there's a lot more choice for desktop amps which I'll be asking in a seperate thread not to confuse the subject, than there is for portable device that can fit in ur pocket. It seems even more rare when you want something that's ONLY a damn amp without a useless DAC when you've already got something great inside ur DAP, and there's nothing for free in this world. I mean, if the Amp has a Dac on it too, it's either gonna have a cheaper amp built-in or else you'll just waste a good chunk of $$$ for extra features you ain't gonna use.

I like to disable every so called "enhancement" and just keep it simple and more pure, as it was meant to be heard by the artirst so I never use software EQs or even the bass boost from my E12. The only potential model I've found as an upgrade was the new (Fiio A5) which use a better opamp "Muse02" for wider soundstage, perhaps less treble which could be a bonus as well since I have the Beyer T90 rather than the T1 so they're already not as neutral/flat and the price is still decent enough at 170$CAD shipped on Amazon.ca, else 175$CAD on HeadphoneBar in Canada too. I'd be open to other suggestions even if I'm a diehard fan of Fiio's product as they usualy have extremly good price/quality ratios, so if I have to pay twice as much to get a small improvement, it won't be worth it imo.

Thanks in advance guys,
Alex

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Check out the portable amps at Ray Samuels Audio. They are not cheap, but the sound is super. Just bought a Shadow two weeks ago for my Campfire Vega IEMs. Either call or email Ray and he will fix you up with what you need. They are not cheap, but you wanted a good one.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 4
Hmm, that's actualy pretty darn expensive, mostly considering that's USD and as usual the shipping from USA to Canada is gonna be ridiculous even in a small box.

I've check the whole website of Ray and it's very confusing, there is way too much choices, no comparaison chart, no guideline to help you choose the right amp, they don't all have a picture of the inside, etc. They are also much thicker than a (Fiio A5) so prolly not the best thing to stack under a DAP :\

I also don't even know if I could use a balanced amp with an adaptor or if I can't replace the cable of my headphone then I'm permanently stuck unbalanced through 3.5mm/RCA inputs?

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 4
If you are concerned about cost and want a very good sound that you can tailor quite a bit, do not leave the JDS Labs cMoy amp off your list.  I replaced a SR71 Ray Samuels amp with one and loved it with my Westones.  And you can use a Muses opamp with it.  Roll some opamps til you find the right one to tame the Beyer edge.

Trust me you may find an amp with a bit more resolution or detail but this cmoy is awefully good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back