€200/250 to spend on new computer speakers/monitors
Jan 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TomCo

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for a new pair of speakers (2.0/2.1) for my computer; mainly for games and music (industrial, alt-rock). I've been looking into various models in my price range for about a week now and I don't think I'm any closer to making a descision.

I started off looking at regular computer speakers, logitech and such; but I think I can probably do a lot better for the money. I don't have an amp, so I've moved on to looking at active monitors - this is where I'm stuck.

So far I've considered and in some cases ruled out:

M-Audio AV40 (€139)- lacking in low ends + reliability issues
M-Audio BX5A (€229- lacking in low ends, but less so than the av40 + reliability issues
Mackie MR5 (€290)- at the max of my budget
KRK RP5 G2 (€245)- overhyped? lack of low end.

I think you can see a pattern here :)
I'm afraid the loss of a sub will leave me dissapointed.

The site I'm looking at purchasing from is http://www.thomann.de/ie/active_nearfield_monitors.html , I don't have the opportunity of auditioning locally.

My current set up is a Audigy 2 Platinum Ex with a set of KH395's - http://img.ziply.com/img/us/image/640m-480m/310614.jpg
Headphone wise I own a pair of ATH-A55's, PX200's, and HD497's

Thanks,

EDIT: I'm not averse to a passive speaker setup with an amp etc, but I wouldnt know where to begin. Budget would be the same.

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 2
All the moniters you are looking at will lack low-end they only have 4-5 inch drivers, the rokits sound quiet bright and with rock they will sound quite harsh, the mackies will probley be best as they have boosted bass and sound more like a hi-fi speaker than moniter, the mr8's will have the bass your looking for, edifier make decent 2.1 speakers you should look at the s530 it will have the bass your looking for and have pretty decent sound quality for a 2.1 aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back