β24: A discrete, cascoded, fully-differential power amplifier
Mar 31, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #301 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the PS schematic the center taps are connected to ground. Does your transformer have center tapped secondaries?

If not, then don't connect any part of your dual secondaries to ground, anywhere.

EDIT: My bad if you're talking about 4 wires(in series) for only one secondary of one transformer, and using the two wires as center tap. Maybe I need to shower and hit the sack now.

They are separate secondaries but since they are in series, it's basically a center-tap. At least that's my current (har har) understanding.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #302 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iniamyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are separate secondaries but since they are in series, it's basically a center-tap. At least that's my current (har har) understanding.

I see now. My bad.

May I say that I think you have a great looking build going there. I am anxious to know what you think of it when it's finished and you're listening to it.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #303 of 309
I must say after having brought my beta24 into my apt from the car, I have a much greater appreciation of the efforts of Amb to bring his amp to the last CanJam I went to.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #304 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AMB, I tried to find the information, but didn't succeed...

With standard biasing, how many whats are biased into class A at idle?

Sorry for the late reply, I missed this post somehow.
Anyway, "standard" biasing is 200mA quiescent on each bank of output MOSFETs. A push-pull output topology will remain in class A as long as the peak output current is less than twice the quiescent. Into 8 ohms, this means about 1/3W peak. You could turn up the bias to make the transition to class AB higher, but the MOSFETs will run very hot.

Quote:

Is there any problem with making this a "full" class A amplifier by increasing the biasing, apart from the need of much larger heat sinking?

Not without drastically reducing the supply voltage and power output.
A pure class A speaker amp of an equivalent size and heatsinking to my β24 should realistically be a 40W/channel amp, not 180W/ch.

The TO-247 MOSFETs in this amp cannot take a huge amount of increased heat dissipation, even if the heatsink size is increased. A traditional method of increasing heat dissipation capability is to parallel multiple sets of output devices, but the PCB design doesn't lend to such a modification, and the gate capacitances of the output MOSFETs will be multiplied by the number of added sets, which is not desirable.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #305 of 309
Made some progress today after not touching this for weeks.

Front panel:
4491992409_626f3da135.jpg

4492625652_18bae0161b.jpg

Boards mounted on heat sinks:
4491988033_931e464122.jpg

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #309 of 309
Nice looking job on the case...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back