Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones

4.08824/5,
  1. sunnyheadcase
    Great sound and very comfortable
    Written by sunnyheadcase
    Published Sep 29, 2015
    Pros - Good bass and high end response. Isolation is wonderful. Best for the price range
    Cons - Headband pleather deteriorates easily, over driving can be extremely harsh.
    I bought these headphones while on the road to a field record because I had left mine in a hotel room a few hundred miles away. These were the best a local music store carried and to my surprise they far exceeded my expectation.

I had been using SONY headphones almost exclusively up until I picked these up and although there is a small learning curve to the way they sound, I feel like they are some of the best headphones available when listening to single sound sources like just vocals or particularly in sound design. The isolation provided by wearing them is a remarkable step above most headphones I've used in this price range, providing comfortable isolation to outside sounds as well as not making you completely deaf to the rest of the world. The removable and swap-able cable makes switching from a studio environment to a field environment a pleasure with both long straight and curly cords available, and in general the gauge of the cord is nice and beefy in comparison to some even higher end models.

These have become a go-to headphone for whenever I am out in the field or on a sound stage trying to capture sound that I can tell will be useful in the studio later.

I ended up wrapping the headband in grip tape to prevent further deterioration and flaking.

I would 100% recommend these to anyone in this price range and I have put SHURE down as a company to watch for headphones in the future.
  2. Thymen Frederik
    Nice headphone for beginning audiolovers
    Written by Thymen Frederik
    Published Apr 30, 2015
    Pros - nice soundstage (for a closed headphone), well balanced, nice bass
    Cons - earpads aren't very soft, sometimes a little too bright
    Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to say that this is my first review of a headphone and I am also really new to audio-loving, but I'll try my best :D

Features:
    The Shure SRH 440 comes with a detachable 3 meter coiled cable, a 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm adapter and a carrying pouch.

I got these cans as a birthday gift and I really like them. They are well balanced, but lean a little to the bright side, which isn't always bad in this case.
    When I listened to the Mr. Nobody soundtrack I was able to hear a nice amount of detail and it sounded very bright. Sometimes even a little too bright.
    After listening to some music with a little more bass, I noticed that the bass is nice and a little punchy, maybe not as punchy as some people want, but it is defenitly enjoyable.

Another thing I noticed was that this headphone has a nice soundstage for a closed-back headphone in this price-range. Certainly bigger than the ATH-M40X I compared them too.
    Of course it's soundstage isn't as big as that of an open headphone, but you can't really expect that.

Comfort:
    This is where these cans start to shine a little less. The earpads are nice when you get this headphone out the box, but they degrade rapidly. I have this headphone for a month and already the earcushions
    are starting to dry out, but this could be because I don't properly maintain my headphones.
    The Shure SRH 440, sits decently comfortably on my head and it isn't too heavy.
    One thing I noticed is that this headphone slides off my head when I look up or lie down.

Conclusion:
    These cans are nice for beginning audiolovers (like me), they sound nice, but aren't extremely comfortable. They are fit for portable listening and isolate enough sound to ride a bus with.
    I would recommend the Shure for people who like to listen to classical and jazz, but they do well with any genre.
  3. donniefalcone
    Great studio headphones ( for the money )
    Written by donniefalcone
    Published Sep 20, 2014
    Pros - Excellent mids, clear and crisp sound, great price
    Cons - Not neutral sounding, somewhat uncomfortable.
    First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth testing.

Packaging:

Shure SRH440 headphones come in nicely built box. Inside you can find your warranty, information and safety sheet, leather carrying pouch ( I like it a lot ),3m coil cable and 6.5 mm adapter, and headphones.
    There is nothing more to say about packaging , so I will now talk about some more important things.

First impressions:

When I took Shure SRH440 headphones out of the box,I was amazed at how good they felt in my hand ( when compared to Superlux 668b headphones ). SRH440 is a bit heavy, some people find this to be a bad thing, but I am a fan of heavy stuff, so the weight didnt bother me at all.  Once I put them on my head, they felt very nice and comfortable but not as comfortable as my previous Superlux headphones.
    All in all, I was satisfied.

Comfort:

If you are looking for extreme comfortability, Shure srh440s are not for you. They feel great on my head, clamping force is not too strong, my ears are not touching the drivers, even though the pads are quite shallow. But, there is a problem. My head starts hurting after 2+ hours of wearing these headphones, which is something I didnt experience with Superlux headphones. I will definitely upgrade 440 pads to 880 pads, and that will provide me greater comfort and give me a  little bit better bass, and warmer sound. I would suggest you do the same if you are going to wear these headphones for extended periods of time.

Build quality:

Even though these cans felt great in my hands when I first got them, I cant get rid of the feeling that I will easily break them. They are made from good quality plastic, and the plastic feels quite nice to touch, and I'm sure it cant be broken easily, but , as I said, I cant seem to shake off the feeling that I will break them if I apply the lightest force to them.

Sound quality:

When it comes to sound quality, boy, do these headphones deliver. I was simply stunned while listening to some songs, my jaw fell to the floor. I could basicly hear every single note that has been played. Mids and highs are crisp and clear while bass is a little bit lacking, for my taste. Even though all studio monitoring headphones should sound neutral, these are not that neutral sounding. They tend to boost treble a little bit.  I love songs produced by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, and their songs have one of the bass+guitar parts I have ever heard in my life, and listening to some of their songs on these headphones made me say WOW. Guitar sound was absolutely amazing, so much better than on 668b superlux heaphones, bass was also great , but it could have been better.

Portability:

Even though these headphones can be folded , and carried around in the provided pouch, they are not to be used outside of your home or recording studio. At least in my opinion. You can do whatever you want with your headphones, you can even wear them in a swimming pool for all I care. But if you wear these headphones in public you'll get a lot of strange looks because these headphones look really big on your head. When my girlfriend saw me, while I was wearing these headphones, she said I looked like an astronaut. Weird comparison , yeah I know.

Conclusion:

Great headphones with great price, and even better sound. They will be very uncomfortable for some people, yet for some, they will be very comfortable. It all depends on your head and ear shape. If you have these headphones, upgrade to 880 pads and you'll get even better sound and greater comfort . ( A friend of mine did this to his 440s,and I borrowed them for comparison, so I know what I am talking about ) .
     All in all, these are some really good headphones, and you should definitely check them out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  I hope you like this review, I am a beginner reviewer and English is not my native language, so please have some understanding. Thank you for reading. :)
  4. KonKossKang
    some of the best ones in this price range.
    Written by KonKossKang
    Published Apr 14, 2014
    Pros - The sound is pretty balanced, everything is detailed.The sound quality is almost like the things you hear when not wearing headphones.
    Cons - feels weak because of the little sideways swivel feature they added to it.
    sound quality=great with more detail than the m50 and q40 i owned by a noticeable margin.(they still sound pretty good though considering the EQ settings they have by default.
    the srh840 pads give it a whole different sound.ill stick to the 440 pads because the pads seem to give all headphones their sound, some better some worse.

the srh440 is like a dt770 if you equalize the bass up 5db or so.

build=everything feels strong except the swivel function that is somewhat necessary.they should have extended the amount yo could turn the headphone horizontally, probably would have made it just a dollar more.

no batteries are needed, blocks out sounds at 25% volume, not recommended if you are needed by someone at the time of usage, unless you wear these at night.I advise using studio/computer speakers during hours when you are needed so you can hear whoever trying to get your attention at the moment, despite still being able to hear music at the same time.

comes with 1/4 adapter for better systems, case that's soft and protects from minor conditions such as walking, running etc anything not involving vehicles or aircraft unless you are stationary and not operating anything.

good for sound design.
    good for gaming and meda.
    good for blocking out noise at reasonably low volumes as to prevent damage.
  5. Misterbushido-
    Gem for the buck.
    Written by Misterbushido-
    Published Dec 21, 2013
    Pros - Smooth Mid / High, Good Bass response, Clarity Overall, Awesome Isolation.
    Cons - Need to do little mod for Comfortable, Kinda Heavy, Bass may lack for some.
    This Headphone have Very Good and Smooth Mid / High, Good Bass response.

Cold-side, Analytical, Overall Clarity made this Headphone Shine, Bass may lack on some track or Not enough for some people (I'm not a bass-fan for sure)

Also, have Awesome Isolation sound leak at Zero to Very minimal.

While sound good almost on all track, but never tend to sound awesome nor impress on me. (as expect from monitor)

Easy to drive with iPod, noticeable when plugged on amp.

What, really is Downside of this Headphone is Uncomfortable and Weight.

While Comfortable can easy fix by Place some Circle Under a Driver Guard, I use a Warped Tissue, just to make sure to prevent it from a Driver Hole.

This mod increase a Comfortable a lot for me, While sound not noticeable change at all.

What, I can't really stand is Weight, Kinda heavy for me, for a long listening.

Comfortable is minus, Weight is minus, also Coiled cord made is even worst, make my JAW have Clicking sound for a few days.

That what the whole only reason why I sold this headphone off.
  6. bowei006
    Good headphone for the studio and only for the studio
    Written by bowei006
    Published Oct 17, 2013
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Detailed, clear mids and highs. Accurate string instrument representation
    Cons - Analytical, cold, very little bass, mids are forward but don't have depth.
    See the review post here:

[​IMG]
  7. trane1992
    lasted 2 years and loved them
    Written by trane1992
    Published Sep 28, 2013
    3.5/5,
    Pros - mids and the higgs
    Cons - bass almost nonexistent
    these were my first pro headphones and the left speaker just died 2 days ago i am very sad
    i loved them
    1. pietpuk123
  8. blueangel2323
    Good sounding neutralish headphone for the price, if you can get past a few build quirks
    Written by blueangel2323
    Published Sep 3, 2013
    Pros - Close to neutral, energetic sound, exceptional clarity, value
    Cons - Average comfort, creaky build quality, grainy, small soundstage, bass roll-off
    The SRH440 was the first $100+ full-sized headphone that I ever owned, back before I joined Head-Fi. I was looking for an affordable, closed monitoring headphone for home studio use, and I found the SRH440 and SRH840, which had just recently come out, to be more engaging/exciting sounding compared to the studio standard, the Sony MDR-7506, while still maintaining relative neutrality. Another studio staple, the once Head-Fi favourite Audio-Technica M50, sounded slightly better but cost over 50% more. The SRH840, which sounded even better, cost twice as much, so I ended up buying the SRH440.

Build quality and comfort

Build quality feels decent in the hand, if a bit hollow and plasticky. The coiled cable is thick, rubbery, and detachable. The little wires leading from the cups to the headband, while exposed, are reasonably thick compared to the dismally thin ones on the basshead favourite M-Audio Q40, for example, and should hold up fine with many years normal use. The pleather underside of the headband, however, tends to crack and peel after a while.

Once on the head, the creaky structure becomes obvious. The hinges and swivel mechanisms are not smooth at all, and the slightest head movement will cause loud creaks, which is annoying when you’re trying to listen to the music. The ear pads are similarly noisy when rubbing against your jaw, skull, or worse, glasses.

The SRH440 is my go-to benchmark for “average” comfort. Headphones that are less comfortable than the SRH440 (e.g., M-Audio Q40, AKG K81DJ, Sennheiser HD25) are below average in comfort; headphones that are more comfortable than the SRH440 (e.g., Denon D600, Sony MDR-1R, Sennheiser HD600) are above average in comfort. What does this mean? Weight is slightly heavy but not too heavy; pads are reasonably thick but not nearly as soft as the SRH840 pads; the driver grills touch your ears but not in a very bothersome way. Notwithstanding the creaking and your ears getting sweaty inside the pads, they are perfectly tolerable for short listening sessions.

Bass

Bass is very punchy and visceral despite being modest in quantity. In fact, the SRH440 have the sharpest bass impact of any headphone I’ve tried due to its speed. There is a mild mid-bass hump but the bass remains tight, controlled, and textured at all times. However, the low end gradually rolls off below 90Hz. That’s not to say that these headphones can’t produce the lowest sub-bass, which they can. It’s just quieter than the rest of the frequency spectrum and a bit of EQ can improve bass extension without distortion or compromising bass control.

Mids

Clarity is exceptional on these headphones. No matter what music you play or how much you mess with extreme EQ settings, nothing will make them sound muddy or veiled. Timbre is not always ultra-realistic like on an HD600, but everything sounds nice and crisp, and for the price it’s hard to fault. Acoustic guitars in particular are just magical on these headphones due to the slightly forward upper mids. There’s a slight tilt towards the upper mids but the overall midrange presentation is smooth with no obvious peaks or dips. Of particular importance is the fact that I hear no shoutiness at 2 kHz that ruins vocals on many headphones in this price range.

Treble

There’s a large mid-treble peak that’s quite obvious without any burn-in. This initially gave instruments a “shimmery” quality that was quite engaging if not technically accurate. It worked quite well for adding “air” around a few specific instruments, but once the mix got busy all that “shimmery air” became crowded together and turned “cloudy” instead.

In any case, after a hundred hours or so, that peak became less noticeable and the upper treble opened up. Now the treble is just wonderfully energetic and extended. It’s still slightly emphasized, giving the overall sound signature a slight tendency towards brightness, and given the quantity there is a bit of grain, but it’s also never harsh or sibilant.

Soundstage and presentation

The SRH440 remains impressively detailed across the whole spectrum, thanks to the treble extension, midrange clarity, and bass speed. Presentation is pretty forward and in-your-face so soundstage is about average for a closed headphone in this price range; decent, but nothing to write home about. Imaging is again quite decent for the price range. You can pick out individual instruments, but there isn’t a whole lot of space between them. Coming from a higher end, open-back headphone like the HD600, the presentation of the SRH440 sounds downright claustrophobic, but still 3D and immersive. It's almost like you're on stage, with the entire band is playing in a semi circle all around you, but each band member is only a couple feet away.

Conclusion

The Shure SRH440 is one of the best sounding neutral headphones at around $100 and a great buy despite some build quality and comfort issues, most notably the tendency towards creakiness. It’s a better value than the slightly better sounding Audio-Technica M50, as the latter has gone up significantly price as a result of its popularity, and as a bonus the Shure doesn’t have the midrange shout at 2 kHz that the M50 does. Admittedly I haven’t heard the supposedly excellent alternatives from Superlux and Fischer, but of the $100 headphones I’ve heard, only the Sony V6/7506 come close. Recommended.
  9. compubomb
    I would say pretty damn good
    Written by compubomb
    Published Dec 2, 2012
    Pros - Great Mids/Bass/Highs
    Cons - Very Very long burn-in
    I own an m-audio Fast-Track USB Sound card which I use. I bought both these headphones & the sound card for work. My initial reaction to the headphones is they were cheaper than some of the others, but better sound and comfort than the other DJ style headphones. Plus they fit my budget, so I picked them up at the Guitar Center. So after using these guys at work for almost 2.5 years, after not listening to them for a month or so, what I noticed finally is that they have completed the burn-in process. The music, especially the mids/base finally feel like they have smoothed out and not as punchy as before. When i compare the base with these vs my HD600's, they are starting to finally come within range, before the base was very punchy, but not smooth. Also the head-band takes a very long time to relax, as when you buy these, it feels like putting a vice on your head, but with some considerable wear-usage, they are finally relaxed enough to wear for long periods of time.
  10. ahujasid
    Great
    Written by ahujasid
    Published Nov 9, 2012
    Pros - Great sound quality, Rugged
    Cons - Bit uncomfortable, exposed wires
    The mids and highs are amazing. The soundstage isn't very wide but it's pretty good for closed back headphones. The response is almost flat with a bit of a "bright" sound signature. They get uncomfortable after about 30 minutes of listening.
    The sound quality is great. You can clearly hear each instrument separately. These sound absolutely great for closed back headphones.