XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jun 16, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #3,676 of 3,865
i wanted the psa lanrover. psa tech told me it has issues with both win 10 and jriver22, the combination may not work at all. does anyone have that running? otherwise is there another device you would recommend? startech is the same thing and i already know it is a huge pita to use it.

btw, i have not been here because the site is horrid!

oh, i hope this is not the wrong thread. i had it running on win8, sold it. afraid of $600 to try it out since startech has big issues. at least i already have the lps-1 for it.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #3,678 of 3,865
I just had chanced to listen Weiliang ES9018 with Weiliang XU208 with Crystek CCHD-575 (Unluckily, its 24Mhz oscillator is SCTF) and Leaf Audio Amanero Combo384 with 3 JYEC TCXO. I got second version of Combo384 though.
The first version DSDOE pin is around USB connector and has 5 pin I2S connector
Second version it's became 6 pin I2S connector DSDOE pin was added under DATA pin.
Third version using 12 pin I2S connector.

Combo384 sound more transparent, thin, and wide but lack dynamic while XU208 are more dynamic, thick, and narrow. Combo384 are more laid back to listen but some would found boring. I prefer Combo384 though.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #3,680 of 3,865
So for any new viewers here is my 'Epitome' USB chain:

PC>Startech (GB LAN Ethernet USB extender)>W4S Recovery>iDefender>iPur2>Singxer F-1

Note:

* The PC has an ext SSD for the OS powered by an ext LPS
* Startech (or Icron they are the OEM for Startech) Has two boxes - a LEX and a REX connected by CAT6 ethernet cable (hence galvanically isolated from PC USB Bus).
* Use of Jitterbug VBUS blockers between the PC and LEX, and REX and Recovery
* Music files play from a SLC mSD card in the REX
* LPS feeds the SSD, LEX, REX, and RuR with custom made LT3045 (ultra low noise, super high PSRR) DC to DC voltage drop down boxes. Also note all DC cables use quad star silver teflon copper braid shielding.
OK to update the 'List' and rankings to reflect the new 'Epitome' USB chain:

Here would be my current ratings and rankings (the numbers are just a relative number - they are not percentages). The Breeze Audio (Talema) DU-U8 = 100

Obviously these are my subjective ratings YMMV - and yes I have owned (had a loaner) all these for an extended period of time:

'Epitome' Hybrid USB/Ethernet GB LAN chain 500 - YES it's that good!
'Ultra' Hybrid USB/Ethernet GB LAN chain (details to long to list) 370
BURL B2B DAC with DANTE Brooklyn II/ modded w/LPS power 285
REDNET 3/Cerious Graphene/Mutec 3+ USB (SPDIF)/Antelope OCX (RN wClock) 270
REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB/Audience au24 se digital cable 250
REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB (SPDIF reclocker)/AS Sliver Statement dig cable 240 - Right about here is where I felt my old $30k Analog rig was finally surpassed (VPI Super Scout Master Signature/Dynavector XV1-S/all Nordost Vahalla cabling including the VPI tonearm/Bent Audio Silver Step-Up transformers/Conrad Johnson totl tubed Phono Pre-amp/Siemens CCa early '60s NOS tubes).
REDNET 3/Cerious Power Cord 220
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2/Startech GB LAN Iso USB 170
Mutec 3+ Smart Clock USB/Cerious Power Cord 155
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2 145
PUC2 Lite TeraDak DC30W/Cerious/Regen 135
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious 135
DXIO Silver/TeraDak DC-30W/Cerious 130
Singxer X-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/iPur2 125
PUC2 Lite - USB power 110
Singxer F-1 Stock feed 110
Breeze/Cerious Graph/WBT RCA Nexgen 109
Breeze DU-U8 with Cerious Graphene 108
Breeze DU-U8 (Talema version) 100
Breeze DU-U8 (BingZi version) 95
Hydra Z with LPS 92
Melodious MX-U8 (upgraded caps) 85
Melodious MX-U8 (stock) 81
Gustard U12 (upgraded caps) 76
Gustard U12 stock 72
iDAC DAC2 (used as a DDC) 65
Musiland USB3.0 US Dragon 65
M2Tech EVO with LPS 60
Audiophileo 2 USB Power 50
M2Tech Hiface 40
PC(WIN10 on ext SSD powered by LT3045/LPS)>JB(modded to VBUS blocker)>LH Labs 2G (data leg to JB/PC - power to LT3045)>LEX(powered by LT3045/LPS)>BJC CAT6a>REX(powered by LPS)>JB(modded to VBUS blocker)>2G(data leg only)>RuR(powered by LT3045/LPS)>iDefender>iPur2>F-1.

Important: Music files played from SLC mSD card (USB 3.0 adapter) in the REX or 256GB USB sticks.

That's it. I have another 20VDC LT3045 coming to use on the REX. Hopefully a bit of a step up.
Other possible improvements ISO Regen in lieu of the RuR. Matrix SPDIF-2 in lieu of the F-1.

PS I should note this chain was not put together randomly - but painstakingly assembled after many months of listening experiments with different devices and configurations. I counted over 50 different chain configurations and power supply configurations. More then a few devices were sold or sent back to the retailer - like the iSilencer, etc...

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #3,681 of 3,865
I've got the new Matrix X-SPDIF 2 in house now, and it's an improvement over the Singxer SU-1. It's (surprisingly) competitive when using USB power (cleaner sources work better), and superior when running a linear power supply. I'm feeding it from a basic Surface Pro 3 using the BMC PureUSB active cable, and it's at least on par with the Singxer despite the lack of external power. Using a regular USB cable instead of the BMC takes it down a notch, though still not far behind the SU-1.

With a nice PSU in play - the Wyred 4 Sound PS-1, or the new Keces P8 which I'll post about soon - it's a step up from anything I've heard, including the Berkeley Alpha and the Singxer. I wouldn't call it a super-obvious upgrade but I'm not really prone to use those terms anyway. I still love the SU-1 but will be recommending the Matrix from now on.

I started a thread HERE as well. Pics coming shortly.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,682 of 3,865
Sorry for the poor pic, but here's a shot of the X-SPDIF 2 in action:

Zenion.jpg

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #3,683 of 3,865
Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #3,684 of 3,865
F-1 appeals to me the most as it can be powered from USB, or else modified to be powered from external 5.5V input, and has reclocking after the isolation. I'm not sure how the DIYINHK works - i mean maybe the clocks and output are isolated, but kind of seems like that would be adding the jitter from the isolation twice and kind of defeat the purpose to me. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

C-1 had nice clocks - I think NDK's like the DIYINHK, and is nice and compact. I guess it depends how much room you have. F-1 also has an already well established reputation.

I can't speak from reputation, I still need to implement my card, and replace some new ceramic caps that I burnt, but I kind of dread the SMD work. May as well not waste it though, as well as the hundreds of hours I put into designing the PSU, bracket, cabling etc.

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #3,685 of 3,865
Hello,

i am to choose my USB->I2S interface. I will use a DIY LPS to power in.

My shortlist:
- Singxer F-1
- Singxer C-1 FEMTO version
(i guess same as F-1 without output isolation)
https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxer-c1-as318b/
- DIYINHK Isolated XMOS 768kHz DXD DSD512
http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-k...12dsd1024-high-quality-usb-to-i2sdsd-pcb.html

From your experience, which one offers the best Q/P and best SQ?

Thanks

I have the Singxer SU-1 and the F1. The difference is pretty clear before you add aftermarket or DIY power to the F1. It's still nice though. The Matrix X-SPDIF 2 is better than both, and gets even better when used with a nice PSU. The F1 with DIY PSU is a great value though.

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #3,689 of 3,865
Hi, Using a microRendu streamer I've compared an Singxer F-1/coax input with USB input on my Job INTegrated amp. With this amp I'll stick with USB. So I got a Singxer F-1 available. Located in the EU. PM me if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back