Wireless Surround Headphones - Sony, AKG, Pioneer, Philips?
May 26, 2006 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

If you would buy a set of wireless surround headphones, which pair would it be?

Pioneer SE-DIR800C

Philips SBCHD 1500 U

Sony MDR-DS4000

Which one would you pick? Or would you pick another set up wireless surround headphones?

I did not list the AKG Hearo 787, since they do not transfer the signal digitally. The other Hearos are simply too expensive.

Thanks,
smuh

May 26, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 22
I'm not sure how good I/R is for transferring music.

I've heard good things about the Sennheisser wireless models. DRC 50 or something?

May 26, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 22
AKG HEARO 888 DIGITAL just rule the wireless world man, yeah.
eggosmile.gif

May 26, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 22
Get one that uses Dolby Headphone. There are plenty that do, especially in Japan. Philips, Pioneer, Onkyo, Audio Technica, and JVC/Victor all do. JVC also make a small DH processor that you can use with any headphones.

Remember that all being equal, wired will always sound better than wireless.

May 26, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 22
I would like to go for the AKG HEARO 888, but as Carl said, wired headphones sound better and the Hearo 888 costs twice as much as the other wireless surround headphones I mentioned.

I am going to use them for movies only, for music I will still use my ATH-A900LTD, DT880 or ER4Ps.

May 26, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh
I would like to go for the AKG HEARO 888, but as Carl said, wired headphones sound better and the Hearo 888 costs twice as much as the other wireless surround headphones I mentioned.

I am going to use them for movies only, for music I will still use my ATH-A900LTD, DT880 or ER4Ps.

A900ltd/DT880 + JVC DH-S1. Simple.

May 26, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I'm not sure how good I/R is for transferring music.

I've heard good things about the Sennheisser wireless models. DRC 50 or something?

RS-130 and RS-140 -(136 and 146 at FS in Canada) - both considerably cheaper than the 3 in the poll (esp on ebay), but I can't speak to a SQ comparison. And neither are dolby surround.

RS130 is open with velvet pads and SRS surround (SRS being useless IMO)
RS140 is closed with pleather, no SRS, but has optional compression.

Both are RF instead of IR, so you don't need line-of-sight. I opted for the 130s after comparing them at retail (the SQ was ok -- they're reported to sound similar to HD580s) and should have them in a day or two. If they work out, the convenience will be worth the mere $90 I spent on them. There's a good 140 impressions thread kicking around here with pics.

May 26, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #9 of 22
If you go only for movies try AKG HEARO 787, new IR line with a lot of 888 futures and with much less investment. I had AKG HEARO 777 DE LUXE ones, GREAT PHONES, but 787 is a step further.
eggosmile.gif

Look up here

http://www.akg.com/products/powersla...nguage,EN.html

And look up here on Ebay, not bad deal

http://cgi.ebay.de/AKG-HEARO-787-Sur...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote:

May 30, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
the pioneer system is what you want, everything else pales in comparison.

I'd say the Pioneer is one of the worst sounding of the available DH units personally...

May 30, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 22
The Hearo 787 is no option, because it seems that the signal is not transfered digitally and I have seen people complaining about the 787 picking up noise from other devices.

The pioneer (800 something) and sony (ds-4000 or something) systems are okay, but I have seen quite a few postings about bad sound quality.

So far the Philips ... 1500 U (only the U Version transfers the signal digitally) seems to be the system that most people recommend.

I am not really happy about going for another philips device, since my Philips CD/DVD-Player and TV are not really that reliable. But the cheap 45$ philips headphones I bought for my mum a while ago sounded far better then I would have ever imagined from such a cheap set of headphones.

May 30, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

The Hearo 787 is no option, because it seems that the signal is not transfered digitally and I have seen people complaining about the 787 picking up noise from other devices.

The pioneer (800 something) and sony (ds-4000 or something) systems are okay, but I have seen quite a few postings about bad sound quality.

So far the Philips ... 1500 U (only the U Version transfers the signal digitally) seems to be the system that most people recommend.

I think the higher end Sony models also use digital transmission, but I'd recommend you get a Dolby Headphone one. Sony's VPT just isn't as good.

Analogue IR transmission doesn't pick up noise, only analogue RF.

Quote:

I am not really happy about going for another philips device, since my Philips CD/DVD-Player and TV are not really that reliable. But the cheap 45$ philips headphones I bought for my mum a while ago sounded far better then I would have ever imagined from such a cheap set of headphones.

I know where you're coming from. The HD1500U is basically a "fixed" version of the HD1500 (no breaking headphones now), and I haven't heard any problems with its reliability.

The best way to go is a wired system whatever the case. It's not just a matter of transmission. Wireless headphones need to have an amplifier inside the headphones, and just won't sound as good.

The AH1000 + W5000 combo is fantastic, by the way.

May 30, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #14 of 22
I know and I did not like the idea of using wirless surround headphones at all at the beginning, but as I realized that I will be using those phones only for watching movies, I came to the conclusion that they should be alright.

I just order the Philips ... 1500 U from Amazon, if I do not like them, I will be able to return them within the next 14 days.

If anybody wants to know how well they perform, I can write up a short review and take some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back