Windows 7 Device Icons for DACs
Jan 31, 2010 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

zelak

New Head-Fier
Windows 7 allows you to configure your audio devices to have a custom icon. I converted a picture of the Nuforce uDAC into an ICO file and set it as the icon for the device. Does anyone else do this, or am I the only one who's obsessive-compulsive about this?
smily_headphones1.gif

srHSN.png

To configure a custom icon, right-click on the volume control icon in the notification area, click "Playback devices", select the device, click "Properties", and then "Change icon".

If you are inspired to create an icon for your DAC, post it in this thread!

The free image editing program Paint.NET can save in ICO format using this plug-in. GIMP (also free, and open source) can handle them natively.

UPDATE 01-FEB-10

Here are all the DACs I have created icons for so far, bundled with larrywild's red NuForce uDAC icon:

SGGqU.png

Included: Apogee Electronics Mini-DAC, Behringer MS40, Benchmark DAC1 USB, Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Creative Xmod, DAC-19MK3, E-MU 0202, E-MU 0404, Firestone Spitfire, FUBAR II, FUBAR III, Headamp Pico (From a drawing by Edwood), HeadRoom Micro, HeadRoom Total BitHead, HiFiMAN EF2, iBasso D2+ Boa, iBasso T4 Mamba, Keces DA-151, M-Audio Transit USB, music hall dac25.2, NuForce uDAC, SoundBlaster X-Fi External

Download here.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by zelak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windows 7 allows you to configure your audio devices to have a custom icon. I converted a picture of the Nuforce uDAC into an ICO file and set it as the icon for the device. Does anyone else do this, or am I the only one who's obsessive-compulsive about this?
smily_headphones1.gif

srHSN.png

To configure a custom icon, right-click on the volume control icon in the notification area, click "Playback devices", select the device, click "Properties", and then "Change icon".

If you are inspired to create an icon for your DAC, post it in this thread!

The free image editing program Paint.NET can save in ICO format using this plug-in. GIMP (also free, and open source) can handle them natively.

I also created a custom NuForce icon, so I'll upload mine too!

Red one, on its side. I tweaked the colours to make it a bit more like how it looks in real life than the pictures on the rest of the web..

udacscrcq.png

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am so going to do this tomorrow. But... the last time I tried ICO with Photoshop, well, I don't have any custom ICO's now
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeh it's terrible at saving ico's. Just save as 256x256 PNG and upload to convertico.com
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 71
I have been to lazy to do this but after reading this I figured why not waste the 20seconds it takes to rename the default name to the name of my DAC. There was already an icon that looked kinda like it in black (mines silver faced) anyways.

Thanks,

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrywild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also created a custom NuForce icon, so I'll upload mine too!

Red one, on its side. I tweaked the colours to make it a bit more like how it looks in real life than the pictures on the rest of the web..

Looks great, definitely better than mine! Thanks!

Well, I enjoyed doing this so I created a bunch of icons for other DACs. Hope people find these useful.

They are:
Benchmark DAC1 USB
E-MU 0202
E-MU 0404
Headroom Total Bithead
iBasso D2+ Boa

ob3Zj.png

You can download them here (too big to include as attachment, so I've uploaded it elsewhere.)

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 71
Could I get a Behringer MS40 icon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back