Which headphones under $1500 have the most resolution / amount of details?
Jun 19, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #46 of 52
Yes, there is a certain well documented peak at 6khz, and it may be somewhat masking the higher treble for you.
It bothers some people, and others it don't, especially with brighter recordings.
That is why I installed super DuPont resonators. This reduces the peak and makes them more enjoyable to me, especially with brighter recordings.
Also, your source and amp could be making them sound peakier than they should. They are source and amp picky.
This is also why Sennheiser introduced the HD800 S...
It has built in acoustic absorbers that reduce the 6khz peak, plus they have slightly more bass than the hd 800.
I liked the HD800 S, but still prefer my HD800 with SDR mod.
I feel my HD800 + sdr is somewhat cleaner in the bass, a tad clearer, and very slightly more "wide open" than the Sennheiser HD800 S, but some people do prefer the HD800 S.
The HD800 S is slightly warmer, very slightly bassier than the HD800, but not much.
You ought to try the SDR mod or borrow a pair of HD800 S from The Cable Company's lending library, and try them.
You might just prefer them.
Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #47 of 52
Thanks for another detailed answer!
The SDR is something I have in mind, but I want to listen to and get used to the stock HD800 sound first.

Also, your source and amp could be making them sound peakier than they should. They are source and amp picky.
That is something I have considered, and while I don't really believe that's the case, I will look into this. Will try to find where to borrow a high-end amp or DAC+amp, or maybe visit the only shop in the town that sells them and get a listen.

So far I'm listening from a laptop via ASIO into EMU 0404 USB using either its built-in amp, or my O2 (haven't noticed any difference yet, other than O2 achieves higher power with these 300 Ohm phones).

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #48 of 52
No problem.
That's a good idea about getting used to the sound signature and trying other amps and dacs.
Best of luck.

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #49 of 52
Thanks for another detailed answer!
The SDR is something I have in mind, but I want to listen to and get used to the stock HD800 sound first.

That is something I have considered, and while I don't really believe that's the case, I will look into this. Will try to find where to borrow a high-end amp or DAC+amp, or maybe visit the only shop in the town that sells them and get a listen.

So far I'm listening from a laptop via ASIO into EMU 0404 USB using either its built-in amp, or my O2 (haven't noticed any difference yet, other than O2 achieves higher power with these 300 Ohm phones).
The O2's can be bright and the 800's would do better with something warmer. The 0404 is not as bright but does lack the power to run them the dac in it is pretty good though had one awhile back for years.

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #50 of 52
The O2's can be bright and the 800's would do better with something warmer. The 0404 is not as bright but does lack the power to run them the dac in it is pretty good though had one awhile back for years.
Interesting, I have never seen O2 being accused of tonal imbalance. That's the last thing I would expect from an amp rated at +/- 0.1 dB 20 Hz to 20 kHz. I'll start by finding other reports of this flaw, very curious as to how this is possible (a solid state amplifier is not such a complex thing, it's hard to screw it up so badly!). Thanks for the heads up.
Also, I have on numerous occasions attempted to hear any difference between O2 and the built-in 0404 amp using my HE-400. I have failed to do so. The only time I did hear something, it turned out that L and R channels were swapped (and I was listening to IDM so it wasn't immediately obvious).

0404's amp is usable with HD800, but not on highest tolerable volume settings (which it simply can't reach). I suppose that does amount to not having enough power.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #52 of 52
Interesting, I have never seen O2 being accused of tonal imbalance. That's the last thing I would expect from an amp rated at +/- 0.1 dB 20 Hz to 20 kHz. I'll start by finding other reports of this flaw, very curious as to how this is possible (a solid state amplifier is not such a complex thing, it's hard to screw it up so badly!). Thanks for the heads up.
Also, I have on numerous occasions attempted to hear any difference between O2 and the built-in 0404 amp using my HE-400. I have failed to do so. The only time I did hear something, it turned out that L and R channels were swapped (and I was listening to IDM so it wasn't immediately obvious).

0404's amp is usable with HD800, but not on highest tolerable volume settings (which it simply can't reach). I suppose that does amount to not having enough power.
I guess the better way to have put it is if your headphones are bright your going to know it on the O2. It is just the way I guess I preceive it that way as most of my Amps are on the warmer side being I like my tube amps and my Cavalli Liquid Carbon is solid state but also is warmer sounding. For me it is not just how loud they sound it is how good they sound to me.
Not always but a more powerful amp can make a lot of difference is some headphones as long as it of some quality not meaning the most expensive is best but sometimes you have to pay a little extra for good quality gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back