Which headphones under $1500 have the most resolution / amount of details?
May 26, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #16 of 52
I've had a couple of Stax systems in the Lambda series (404 Limited Edition and the 2170 system) and I actually think the build quality is pretty solid. Not bad at all. Peculiar designs, but very durable in my opinion. I also had a SR-5 (built in 1975) that was like new and sounded great. I should have never sold it.

I tend to think that STAX are very durable as well, even though these don't look like it.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 26, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #17 of 52
STAX is in a whole level by itself , very fast controlled detailed headphone i have ever heard and i don't think any dynamic or ortho-dynamic technology can match it ,
but it lack bass quantity and sound stage + they look ugly as hell ,, although they are very comfortable ..

Most say the HD800/800S (I never heard it ) but it need very expensive amp to shine ,, and it lack the bass attack and punch

TH-900 have all the details you need + imaging , sound stage , and the best bass you could have, i highly recommend it ..

May 30, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #19 of 52
I have these two cans for a purpose, granted I modded the heck out of my th900 and upped the cable huge to balanced for my hd800S and yes a good dac amp for sens is necessary but, do you want bass and closed th900 or wide sound stage with exceptional mids hd800S, both at about that price.

May 30, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #20 of 52
At this price range, I am for japanese headphones. Haven't tried Z1R, but both TH900 and se-master1 meet your requirement. If you are tired of dynamic headphones, try some stax, although they do not have as much bass as dynamic ones.

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #22 of 52
I own the HE-560 and think they're an excellent headphone. I listen to a lot of aggressive music (metal, edm, idm etc) and don't find them to be harsh or sibilant at all. Good bass too.

Jun 4, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #23 of 52
Have you heard the T1's at all?
T1 what? Nope, not only have I not heard them, I also don't seem to have heard about them :)

I highly recommend a used Sennheiser HD800 for $600.00 to $800.00 off the Headfi classifieds, according to condition, then mod it with a SDR (Super DuPont Resonator). Google it.
That's interesting, thank you, never heard about that mod! It's a pity most classifieds here are only shipped to US, but I'll keep looking.

I'll have the 950 until Koss goes bankrupt. Any issues and I send it off +$9 for return shipping
I don't think that service is available in my country (or the shipping may cost $90 instead of 9). Do they break often?

So, you didn't try HE-560, I see.
Nope. I can only listen to whatever I buy.
As I mentioned, I've spoken to a person who owns both HE-400 and 560, and he said neither is stellar in terms of resolution.

For iems, the Dita Truth and now the Dream.
Thanks, but I don't like ear plugs. Only over-the-ear headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #24 of 52
doesn't need crazy expensive setup to shine, on the contrary to HD 800.
What about HD800?
Were you talking about TH-900 MK2? That's $1200, more expensive than HD 800 and probably on par with 800S...

I own the HE-560 and think they're an excellent headphone. I listen to a lot of aggressive music (metal, edm, idm etc) and don't find them to be harsh or sibilant at all. Good bass too.
I listen to all kinds of stuff (including hard rock and a lot of IDM), and I like my HE-400 in terms of tonal balance. They are not harsh. But, as I mentioned in my opening post, I have to reasons to doubt the level of detail they provide.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #25 of 52
I would also recommend the Koss ESP-950's with Vespar pads you will not get the bass quantity of the 400's driven well but they are still very good with detail and soundstage. You might also check out the much maligned HD-700's as they have been IMO falsely accused of being a horrible headphone. Very good bass and great soundstage with very good detail retrieval. The 6k spike is only noticeable in very few recordings that I have heard. The problem with them as they lowered the price down to almost $400 and now just under $600 on Amazon you can find them very cheap used on eBay. They are definitely worth a look. Just one more thing if you are not listening to the 400's with Focus A pads and the grill and Sorbothane mods then you are missing a little something just my opinion.

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #26 of 52
What about HD800?
Were you talking about TH-900 MK2? That's $1200, more expensive than HD 800 and probably on par with 800S...

I was talking about TH-900 MK1, though am not sure whether MK2 version has different sound. AFAIK, MK2 has detachable cable, but does it sound differently than MK1, I have no idea.

I haven't heard HD800S, hence I can't really say. As for HD 800, these like expensive amplification. The most affordable amp that goes along nicely with HD 800 is Questyle CMA800R, but still that's not as good as Bakoon HPA-21, which works brilliantly with said Senns. And that's amp only, I haven't even touched DAC topic yet :)

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #27 of 52
I have nothing against buying (or building) a good amp if the need arises, but I would try my O2 first. I'm quite confident in its abilities. Still, good to know these headphones have special needs if I get them after all. Thanks for the info.
Do you have any idea why HD 800 are pickier than average?

Jun 5, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #28 of 52
I have nothing against buying (or building) a good amp if the need arises, but I would try my O2 first. I'm quite confident in its abilities. Still, good to know these headphones have special needs if I get them after all. Thanks for the info.
Do you have any idea why HD 800 are pickier than average?

Well, they're picky because of obvious reason, their inherent sound signature. HD 800 are very spacious, airy, detailed and I'd say quite fast, but also lifeless and sharp on their own and rather thin. Hence amplifiers which sound in such way too... don't work. Senns like amps that won't decrease their most prominent virtues, yet at the same thick. Oddly, current driven bricks meet these needs to some extent. Or perhaps not oddly, I bet that there's someone who could explain this interaction.

Jun 5, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #29 of 52
I wonder if the best sounding amps are those that distort sound in a way that cancels out distortions of HD800, rather than amps that are transparent (have no audible distortion whatsoever). That would not be cool.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #30 of 52
I just bought a used pair of HD800 with the SuperDupont mod installed for a really great price ($750) here, and I have to say that it is the absolute best experience that I have ever had with headphones and listening to music. I've been rediscovering my old music and enjoying the hell out of discovering new music. It is my end game headphone for sure and I couldn't be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back