Which DAC from Schiit is better? Bifrost Multibit or Modi2 Multibit
Sep 16, 2016 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

marek17

Head-Fier
I own Biftost Multibit.
Modi2 Multibit achieves approximately the same performance as Bifrost Multibit ? Both DAC chips are exactly the same. The prize is there a difference of about € 360. Worth to replace me Bifrost Multibit for Modi 2 Uber?

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 16
I have the Bimby and it is a great piece. I had the Modi v1 and it was good but cannot compete with the newer architecture. Besides the chip, there may be some other ways it was assembled to deliver its function. As a package, I know that the Bimby can be upgraded whereas the Modi MB cannot.

I cannot say for sure but there may be some subtle differences that are making the Bimby better. It is hard to compare units as you have to take them as a whole, and not look at the individual components within.

So from the outside, if costs are your main concern and you are happy with lower option, Modi is your piece.
If costs are not the main driving factor, you already have the Bimby so I am not sure why you'd want to drop to the Modi.
I personally am quite happy with the Bimby and don't see getting rid of it any time soon...just my 3 cents (as I went on here past 2 cents)

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 16
Only you can decide the value. I understand they are similar. I don't care for large wall-wart transformers though. Also the warranty is a lot stronger on the Bifrost, as well as it is upgrade-able. I sold Bifrost recently and took a decent loss financially on it. If this is just about finances I think you would have to get lucky to sell your Bifrost for near what you paid for it, which is the only way it really makes sense. Unless you are in a very tough financial position, in which any DAC would be an unnecessary luxury.

TL/DR: Keep the Bimby.

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 16
Is there any converter which is better than Multibit Bifrost? While me know only about Schiit Gungnir, Multibit but that is 2x more expensive than Bifrost Multibit. It is worth to buy Yggrasil? There is a price 4 times higher than Bifrost Multibit.

Schiit Bifrost Multibit 639€ <- Own
Schiit Gungnir Multibit Ballanced+SE 1250€
Schiit Yggdrasil 2450€

Headphone: Beyerdynamic T1 ( in repair Service)
AMP: Woo Audio WA2 ( RCA cables)

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 16
Is there any converter which is better than Multibit Bifrost? While me know only about Schiit Gungnir, Multibit but that is 2x more expensive than Bifrost Multibit. It is worth to buy Yggrasil? There is a price 4 times higher than Bifrost Multibit.

Schiit Bifrost Multibit 639€ <- Own
Schiit Gungnir Multibit Ballanced+SE 1250€
Schiit Yggdrasil 2450€

Headphone: Beyerdynamic T1 ( in repair Service)
AMP: Woo Audio WA2 ( RCA cables)
The Yggdrasil is worth every bit what I paid. Took a bit of saving up and selling some stuff but so glad I did it. My Liquid Carbon does fine but got to do a little more saving and selling for my next one Ampsandsound Kenzie it sounds so good and I bet even better feed by the Yggy.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 16
I dont want to make another thread so i have quite similar question:
What you advice to pair up with Lyr 2: used Bifrost (non multibit version) - its past guarantee time also OR brand new Modi Multibit? - price is similar.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 16
  I dont want to make another thread so i have quite similar question:
What you advice to pair up with Lyr 2: used Bifrost (non multibit version) - its past guarantee time also OR brand new Modi Multibit? - price is similar.

Used Bifrost then go for the multibit upgrade when you have the spare cash. Modi Multibit is not upgradable while the Bifrost chassis matches your lyr 2 perfectly. I own the Bifrost Multibit myself and I like that both matches the look.

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 16
I would suggest the Bifrost, and not for reasons of audio superiority since I don't have experience with the new Multibit model.

As mentioned above the upgradeability is a rather nice but the biggest advantage is its power supply.

My Modi 2 Uber picks up more audible noise then my gen 1 bifrost ever had. It wasn't an out of the box issue but eventually did happen regardless. I can only assume the current generation Bifrosts are even better.

Secondly it uses a standard IEC Power Cord which means you don't have to scratch your head finding room with crowded strips or outlets since its built into the device.

So even if both were to sound completely alike, the Bifrost would be a better value as it will be less likely to exhibit problems in most systems. Objectively speaking it is better built device, even before you consider how it sounds.

My experiences with the Modi2 are probably not the norm, and my device was most definitely not faulty but I know I've never had those problems when I owned a Bifrost so it must of been doing something right.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 16
Had a chance to listen to both Modi Multibit and Bifrost Multibit side-by-side. Have to say that even with my worst ears in the world, I can still hear the difference, the Bifrost Multibit is much better, in both details and bass :| I bought Modi Multibit in the end because of my budget :| can't forgot how good Bifrost Multibit is, and will definitely go for it once I got the money

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 16
Had a chance to listen to both Modi Multibit and Bifrost Multibit side-by-side. Have to say that even with my worst ears in the world, I can still hear the difference, the Bifrost Multibit is much better, in both details and bass

What headphones and amp were you using? What kind of music do you listen to?

How certain are you that the bifrost wasn't just playing a small amount louder? :)

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 16

How certain are you that the bifrost wasn't just playing a small amount louder? :)
Do you think the Modi is better than the Bifrost?

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 16
Do you think the Modi is better than the Bifrost?

Me? I haven't heard a Bifrost yet, or a Modi DS, for that matter. Over at the other, evil headphone forum, the Bifrost DS has as many followers as the Bimby, it seems FWIW.

My experience is mostly with the Mobit and the ODAC. I prefer the Momby for electronic music, which I listen to most often. But for rock music, I actually like the ODAC. The ODAC is crisper, sharper, while the Momby is more smooth, but neither has better detail or clarity than the other. I see them as more or less equal but different.

However, I will add that most of the electronic music I listen to is [relatively] new to me, while I've been listening to Led Zeppelin or Wilco or the Shins since I was 18. I have a suspicion that the ODAC simply sounds closer to what I'm "used to," and that's influencing my preference. I've only had the Mbit for a month though, and I think I'll sort my opinions in time :)

The only other DAC I've had much experience with is the GOV2+, which I sold the day my ODAC arrived. It's a good DAC if you need something battery powered, but the ODAC was just better at everything, IMO. Before that I used the Hifiman HM601's line out, and that's a classic sound that's still just as good as anything :)

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #14 of 16

Believe me, I'm the kind of person who thought "all DACs are the same" before I listened to both Mimby and Bimby at the same time (by switching between them). With same equipments. At 1st I thought Bimby was better cuz of higher volume, but even when I turn down the volume, Bimby is still much better. I only listen to 2 songs and always use them to compare. Bimby had more details and the sound seemed clearer and tight, no clue how to describe what I heard, but I know Bimby is much better. I don't believe in snake-oil stuffs, but I like what I heard. You should also try and make your own decision :)

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #15 of 16
When you go to top tier of an audio product, you will not experience a 4x times better sound even though the price is 4x times more expensive. The margin is getting smaller and smaller. But, the difference is definitely there. If you have the fund to get yggy, that would be awesome. But, getting a bimby first might be a better idea. Than, you'll appreciate the yggy sound when you upgrade to yggy later. Mimby is awesome for its price and size but since you're undecided to get either bimby or mimby, I would suggest that you go for bimby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back