Where to get thin sheets of memory foam / gel foam / visco-elastic foam for diy ear pads?
Nov 27, 2016 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ericj

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a number of old planar headphones that are best with thin ear pads. That i can't get new ear pads for. 

I'd like to experiment with memory foam but i can't seem to find anywhere that i can buy sheets of it that are only say 3/8" or 1/2" thick. There's one listing on amazon but the reviews are heavily negative and indicate that it isn't memory foam at all. 

I don't really want to have to try to slice the stuff from larger pieces myself. 

Any ideas? 

Edit: Actually, I just bought the crappiest memory foam bath mat on eBay. I'll pick it apart and see what i've got. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 3
Heh, this is a subject I have avoided.  I'd like to see your handywork when you finish- I generally go with shapes that already kinda fit.  I used to sew a lot for non-headphone projects, but upon seeing legit sewn pads on nice cans I figured that's a build I'll leave to machines.  Not that sewing is required; heat sealable fabrics could be an option.  glue/cloth has worked in other scenarios.  Foams encased with firmer materials (think grado with a ring around it's foam edge) supposedly can be created.  Good luck!

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 3
fwiw, i received said bath mat, and it has two problems. 

1: It's not memory foam. It's just regular old urethane foam rubber. 

2: It's a laminated material with fabric on one side and grippy fabric on the other that can't be disassembled. No reason to believe one made of actual memory foam would be different. 

So that was $5 wasted. 

Heh, this is a subject I have avoided.  I'd like to see your handywork when you finish- I generally go with shapes that already kinda fit.  I used to sew a lot for non-headphone projects, but upon seeing legit sewn pads on nice cans I figured that's a build I'll leave to machines.  Not that sewing is required; heat sealable fabrics could be an option.  glue/cloth has worked in other scenarios.  Foams encased with firmer materials (think grado with a ring around it's foam edge) supposedly can be created.  Good luck!

I have a sewing machine and some sewing skill. I'm aware that some people have made pads with leather and silicone glue but, not very well. 

Like i said the cans in question need thin pads. They are also odd shapes. 

Here's some Stax SR-80 pads, 30 euros + ship assuming they would ship to the USA. 

They're about 65mm by about 75mm and less than 1cm thick. 

Might be worth the money. I don't know that any are available in japan. I guess i could ask Yamas if they are still available, but i know i won't like their price. 

B&O U70. Similar shape, much smaller. The original pads were never good, and spares haven't been available for decades. It's that horrible sticky kind of pleather that flakes off. All of it has flaked off of all of them by now. 

Pioneer SE-500 -- similar to the B&O (could probably make one pad that works for both)

It looks like I'm going to have to use normal foam padding. I'll head out to JoAnn some day soon to look for a thin black vinyl for the back side. I have some lambskin for the fronts. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back