What's the best recording of Holst: The Planets?
Apr 25, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #46 of 79
Susskind has Arrived, also have Mehta with the Los Angeles Philharmonic just for good measure. May have to give in to peer pressure and get the Lloyd-Jones and Dutoit, just to hear all the top players. Funny. Not really any trully "bad" Planets, just different levels, and slightly different apporaches.

Scott

Apr 25, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #47 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Susskind has Arrived, also have Mehta with the Los Angeles Philharmonic just for good measure. May have to give in to peer pressure and get the Lloyd-Jones and Dutoit, just to hear all the top players. Funny. Not really any trully "bad" Planets, just different levels, and slightly different apporaches.
Scott

"bad" is too strong a term but after you collect many great versions some will begin to seem average or uninspired......these eventually need to be pruned away like a vigilant gardner so others may grow and prosper.

I have several orchestral show pieces I really like and collect many many versions of:
Holst - Planets
Berlioz - Symphony Fantastique
Mussorgsky - Pictures at Exhibition
Rimsky K. - Scheherazade

Apr 26, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #48 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray
Ihave listened to most of the planets recordings,but my fave(and probably not that well known)is on Deutsche Grammophon,namely James Levine conducting the Chicago symphony orchestra.It was recorded in 1990,and if still available is on cat. number 429 730-2.
Highly recommended,it has a huge dynamic range,and inspired playing from the orchestra.It is a very clear recording as well.Just about demonstration quality i would say!!

Thank for the tip Gray. I actually went and bought it
tongue.gif

I don't have an opinion on the artistic value of it, but as far as sound quality is concerned, it is a good one IMO. For it to have been near "perfect" I would have liked more 3D in the soundstage. It has a very good left-right dimension with easily destinguishable instruments and an unforced, quite close but airy, presentation. The lowest bass could also been more prominent. In other words it's a fine recording, and typical DG for that period IMHO.

Apr 26, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #49 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
"bad" is too strong a term but after you collect many great versions some will begin to seem average or uninspired......these eventually need to be pruned away like a vigilant gardner so others may grow and prosper.

Exactly, I think we mean the same thing here just saying it different ways. I think at times the Planets suffer by the blah content (I'm looking at you "Pluto") that is bundled with it. They feel the need to fill out the disc, which is fine, I just wish at times the pieces were more worthwhile. Next on the list to order....Lloyd-Jones (may just bite the bullet and get the SACD, at least it ommits Pluto).

Quote:

I have several orchestral show pieces I really like and collect many many versions of:
Holst - Planets
Berlioz - Symphony Fantastique
Mussorgsky - Pictures at Exhibition
Rimsky K. - Scheherazade

I am quickly becoming a "Planets" collector, but I too may prune soon, there are just some I doubt will get the same amount of play as others.

I'd be interested to know who you like on the Berlioz.

Scott

May 6, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #50 of 79
Lloyd-Jones and Bernstein arrived today.

Scott

May 8, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #51 of 79
After listening most of them (I loved The Planets around 15 years ago and I still like it) I would go for Dutoit/Montreal. Best performance by far (IMHO) and quite good sound.

Cheers

May 22, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #53 of 79
I only have one recording of it, but I'm surpised it wasn't mentioned yet:

Dennis Russell Davies: Conductor
Bruckner Orchester Linz: Orchestra
David Chesky: Executive Producer

Recording Date: Oct 2, 2001-Oct 4, 2001
Recording Location: Brucknerhaus, Linz, Austria

EDIT: No pluto, either.

May 22, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #54 of 79
Have not seen or heard that Boughton/Nimbus Planets before, I wonder if it will eventually end up available as a Briliant Classics release at super budget price..........BC has reissued many Nimbus recordings already. I have very few recordings by Boughton so no wonder it is under the radar screen.

Also have not heard Davies/Chesky which is a newer SACD recording......but I really don't like the fact that you pay very high price for disc and have no coupling pieces included?????
(has not been mentioned before because it is newer recording from a small boutique label Chesky not widely distributed like other versions)

DC & Feanor
Since no one has heard these versions besides yourselves we need some perspective, how do they compare to the other widely known versions discussed here?

May 22, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #55 of 79
Quote:

Also have not heard Davies/Chesky which is a newer SACD recording......but I really don't like the fact that you pay very high price for disc and have no coupling pieces included?????
(has not been mentioned before because it is newer recording from a small boutique label Chesky not widely distributed like other versions)

DC & Feanor
Since no one has heard these versions besides yourselves we need some perspective, how do they compare to the other widely known versions discussed here?

I'm sorry DarkAngel, my knowledge of such matters is nowhere compared to that of the classical gurus on this thread. This is the only recording I have heard of Planets, and I am not skilled enough to compare it to the few other classicals I have. The recording/mastering quality is great though. The placement of intruments is fantastic and the way notes just appear is superb.
You are correct, there are no coupling pieces on the sacd, but it is a multitrack recording. Too bad I can only listen to the regular cd part. If you are interested, I can email you an mp3 of one of the planets.

May 22, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #56 of 79
Quote:

Hey lets face it, most of the stuff they pair with the Planets it's rather mediocre anyway, filler.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #57 of 79
Quote:

Hey lets face it, most of the stuff they pair with the Planets it's rather mediocre anyway, filler.
smily_headphones1.gif

If it is more Holst works yes there is not much you need......but often they use related English composer works by Elgar etc. to include with Planets. (Solti & Bernstein for instance give you fine Pomp & Circumstance marches, the Solti marches are especially vibrant)

There are other Planets that offer no coupling pieces also, but just seems more miserly when considering the high purchase price of Chesky that they didn't offer any other minor tid bits..

Bunny must be taking a few days off.......
Perhaps she cut up her credit card after getting recent visa bill statement with all the CD purchases
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 22, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #58 of 79
I picked Susskind's version at the Stereophile show but haven't had the chance to listen to it. You guys are making me nuts with all the different recordings out there
redface.gif

May 22, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #59 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
I picked Susskind's version at the Stereophile show but haven't had the chance to listen to it. You guys are making me nuts with all the different recordings out there
redface.gif

But do you have the Bernstein or Lloyd-Jones yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #60 of 79
Quote:

But do you have the Bernstein or Lloyd-Jones yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

lol...god no. I'll get to them eventually after listening to Susskind for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back