Vendors that let you try IEMs and headphones and return them if you don't like them?
Apr 29, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 19
I'm not sure that any vendor would want to be known as a try before you buy option. I think there is a responsibility on the part of the buyer to do their research and understand that the vendor is running a business.
ideally go to a meet to listen to stuff or find a local dealer that has demonstration facilities.
Having said that some dealers are remarkably helpful if you make a mistake.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 19
I'm not sure that any vendor would want to be known as a try before you buy option. I think there is a responsibility on the part of the buyer to do their research and understand that the vendor is running a business.
ideally go to a meet to listen to stuff or find a local dealer that has demonstration facilities.
Having said that some dealers are remarkably helpful if you make a mistake.

I live in a country with no meetups and local shops have a very small and limited variety.

Apr 29, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 19
If you live far from Hong Kong, you will have to pay a lot in shipping fee to send it back. Also, when ordering stuff from abroad, you will also most likely have to pay taxes for the item too. I think it's much better to do your research first and make certain of your purchase before buying from them. If you seriously can't stand the headphone after receiving them, then you can return it. I wouldn't go using them as your personal headphone tester.

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 19
If you live far from Hong Kong, you will have to pay a lot in shipping fee to send it back. Also, when ordering stuff from abroad, you will also most likely have to pay taxes for the item too. I think it's much better to do your research first and make certain of your purchase before buying from them. If you seriously can't stand the headphone after receiving them, then you can return it. I wouldn't go using them as your personal headphone tester.

Shipping it back isn't that pricey and I might get a tax return, I need to check (it might also be missed in customs, they can't check every package).

There's a problem with research without listening, the last time I did my research on the creative aurvana live, all I saw were people praising it as nothing less than amazing, but they're very much the opposite, I prefer a 7 bucks IEMs over them. Same with the TTPOD T1, same with the Takstar pro 80 ( the last one is ok, but not amazing).
Those not clearly defined subjective terms people here use can't really convey how the headphones will really sound.
I don't want to waste my money like that again, I want a pair that won't disappoint.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 19
Shipping it back isn't that pricey and I might get a tax return, I need to check (it might also be missed in customs, they can't check every package).

There's a problem with research without listening, the last time I did my research on the creative aurvana live, all I saw were people praising it as nothing less than amazing, but they're very much the opposite, I prefer a 7 bucks IEMs over them. Same with the TTPOD T1, same with the Takstar pro 80 ( the last one is ok, but not amazing).
Those not clearly defined subjective terms people here use can't really convey how the headphones will really sound.
I don't want to waste my money like that again, I want a pair that won't disappoint.

Just my advice, but it's probably better to find people who have similar listening preferences and sound signature taste to you and ask for recommendations from them instead of just following every online reviewer. Different people have different tastes so obviously you might not enjoy something one person really likes, the best you can do is try to get as close as you can before making that purchase. If you really don't enjoy them, after all that effort, then the return option is a good safeguard but my point is not to abuse the return policy.

Apr 29, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 19
There is also the option of buying and selling secondhand. I don't have much conscience about returning stuff to Amazon. It is unlikely that anyone will accept returns on IEM's though.

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 19
I live in a country with no meetups and local shops have a very small and limited variety.

They don't just mean official Head-Fi CanJams. Go to the off topic subforum, start a thread that goes something like, "Any Head-Fiers in (Latveria, Wakanda, etc)?"

If you find other members in the same country then narrow it down to the city. If you find any, then try to organize something.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #9 of 19
They don't just mean official Head-Fi CanJams. Go to the off topic subforum, start a thread that goes something like, "Any Head-Fiers in (Latveria, Wakanda, etc)?"

If you find other members in the same country then narrow it down to the city. If you find any, then try to organize something.

I don't have time to organize anything for next few months, and I doubt there are more than 10 people from my country on this site, and even less from my area.
No point in a meetup with 3 people.

Apr 30, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 19
If I were a vender I would not let someone try everything I have to see what they like unless they came to a store where they were available to audition. Once someone tries it it is no longer new and can not get the premium of new price. I'm in the states and there is no place close for me to listen to a lot of iem's or decent headphones for that matter. I'm sorry your going to have to do like the rest of us depend on reviews and impressions or go to meets. The other poster who said they have no conscience about returning to Amazon shame on you. They have already dropped 2 day shipping for us that have paid for Prime and it will only get worse with that attitude as I've seen others banned from Amazon for too many returns. Companies pay money to make things for others and should get something back for thier efforts as a lot in this hobby are not huge companies. Rant off :

May 1, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 19
I don't have time to organize anything for next few months, and I doubt there are more than 10 people from my country on this site, and even less from my area.
No point in a meetup with 3 people.

We've done with just two people here from time to time. And by "organize" I don't mean "rent a venue and get catering," I mean "this guy's house, bring beer, order pizza." Or if purely headphones and no speakers, "that quiet coffee shop that isn't Starbucks/CoffeeBean that even when full is just full of med, law, and grad students with each of their faces buried in a book."

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #15 of 19

That's not so remote (nor impoverished to not have people who can spend on audio), there are more people there who are into audio than you think. And there's probably a quiet enough cafe somewhere if you're in Tel Aviv or in an area like that, more so when the Iron Dome keeps the kabooms far up in the sky than on the street. Checkpoints also got more effective that people going kaboom on the street changed tactics to knife attacks, possibly because one can reason that they're butchers a lot more easily than claim they're miners or construction workers who somehow have strap-on C4 instead of a crate of dynamite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back