V-DAC II and pre out
Jul 24, 2017 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rodeschicht

New Head-Fier
Hi, I run a Musical Fidelity V-DAC II, V-CAN II and V-PSU combination in my office, but a while ago I noticed the coaxial input of the V-DAC II doesn't work anymore. USB-input is fine, but switching to coaxial I only get a very faint glare from the green LED - and no sound. My Audioquest coaxial cable is OK, though. What could be the problem? I'm puzzled, since the DAC works fine with USB. The thing is four years old, so I do not intend to spend a fortune on repairing it. Maybe somebody has an idea what could be wrong?

Secondly, at home I have a Little Dot MkII on order, to connect to the pre-out output of my Ayon tube amp. Suddenly I realize that I do not want to leave the tube amp on all the time when listening to the Little Dot (because of tube life). So, does the pre out function when the amplifier is off? Or is there no other solution than to squeeze the Little Dot in between my cd-player (also Ayon) and the line input of the amp? If so, can I leave the Little Dot off when listening to speakers? What about quality loss? The Little Dot is not in the same league as the Ayon, I'm afraid (but I thought I'd try it anyhow, because of the nice reviews).

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi, I run a Musical Fidelity V-DAC II, V-CAN II and V-PSU combination in my office, but a while ago I noticed the coaxial input of the V-DAC II doesn't work anymore. USB-input is fine, but switching to coaxial I only get a very faint glare from the green LED - and no sound. My Audioquest coaxial cable is OK, though. What could be the problem? I'm puzzled, since the DAC works fine with USB. The thing is four years old, so I do not intend to spend a fortune on repairing it. Maybe somebody has an idea what could be wrong?

Probably a busted SPDIF receiver chip.

Secondly, at home I have a Little Dot MkII on order, to connect to the pre-out output of my Ayon tube amp. Suddenly I realize that I do not want to leave the tube amp on all the time when listening to the Little Dot (because of tube life). So, does the pre out function when the amplifier is off? Or is there no other solution than to squeeze the Little Dot in between my cd-player (also Ayon) and the line input of the amp? If so, can I leave the Little Dot off when listening to speakers? What about quality loss? The Little Dot is not in the same league as the Ayon, I'm afraid (but I thought I'd try it anyhow, because of the nice reviews).

Get a passive preamp with switcher like the Schiit Sys and hook up the two amps to the two inputs and the CDP to the output (ie a passive preamp works both ways; it's just a label on it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back