Using Chord Mojo as standalone?
Jun 17, 2017 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shortstuff

Head-Fier
Is this possible?

By this I mean using it as a desktop dac/amp, powered into the mains all the time, instead of a portable that requires charging. If it is possible, should you keep the battery charged full or what?

I am thinking of picking one up, there doesn't seem anything this side of £400 that can compete.

Thanks

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 3
Is this possible?

By this I mean using it as a desktop dac/amp, powered into the mains all the time, instead of a portable that requires charging. If it is possible, should you keep the battery charged full or what?

I am thinking of picking one up, there doesn't seem anything this side of £400 that can compete.

Thanks

Possible, yes, and many do exactly that.

Personally I would avoid leaving the battery near full charge constantly for months on end as this is stressful for lithium batteries. Many of the battery failures have been with Mojo's that have been plugged in to power constantly for long periods.

My advice is to charge it to full and then listen until it needs charging again, or charge while listening but disconnect the power when the battery is full. Chord has said it's fine to leave plugged in 24/7 but the past evidence from owners, and the documentation about lithium batteries remaining at a near 100% charge (over 4.10V per cel) for long periods would have me disagree with Chord on this one.

For the Hugo2 Rob has addressed this by not having the battery top up the charge too high when plugged in all the time, and also by having the charging circuit turn off and running from the mains power (bypassing the batteries) when left plugged in longer than 24 hours. Mojo does not have the same charging scheme.

Just a little battery charging management can go a long way to maximize the li-po battery life, plus there is a separate USB for listening and charging so it's very easy to just unplug if the battery does not need charging, again, for maximum longevity.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 3
My advice is to charge it to full and then listen until it needs charging again, or charge while listening but disconnect the power when the battery is full

Great advise, I just had the battery replaced on mine. I'm going to try a mains timer that auto turns off the charger for a few hours every day when I leave it plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back