USB output difference?
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mhkw

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys, quick question here:

Concerning: USB output audio quality difference on a regular galaxy phone J7 vs a LGv20 (for example)

Want to : Play Spotify from a phone on my car's Uconnect Harmon Kardon system via USB cable

Is it worth getting a expensive phone when connecting with USB? I understand that the USB bypasses the phones DAC. So will the expensive phone still have better sound than the cheaper one?

Thanks for your response

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 4
While it may be possible that USB-C could have some advantages in the future, I'm not aware of any now. Unless one of those phones has a particularly noisy USB port, I doubt it will make much difference. In any case, even if one was slightly better than the other it would probably just have a slightly lower noise floor, which you'll never hear because of road noise.

Short answer, if you're connecting via USB in your car, don't worry about it. That isn't the time or place for the kind of critical listening it would take to actually observe what could at worst be a very, very subtle difference.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi Guys, quick question here:

Concerning: USB output audio quality difference on a regular galaxy phone J7 vs a LGv20 (for example)

Want to : Play Spotify from a phone on my car's Uconnect Harmon Kardon system via USB cable

Is it worth getting a expensive phone when connecting with USB? I understand that the USB bypasses the phones DAC. So will the expensive phone still have better sound than the cheaper one?

No. The only reasons to get expensive phones when it comes to USB audio is that Samsung Galaxy series (everything after Note 1 and S2) support USB audio via OTG. On a system that supports Android Host, it basically just uses the Android phone as a media storage device. It still functions more like an external storage even with streaming than OTG USB to a DAC. On Android Host capable devices OTG to DAC compatibility - particularly with drivers and bit depth/sampling rate (ie my Note3 has fewer issues than Windows 7) - doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back