USB DAC: E10k Olympus 2 vs E17K Alpen 2 or OTHERS?
Jul 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mannheimer

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for the best option to drive my philips fidelio x2 headphones on my computer. I read about the FiiO E10K Olympus 2 and the Fiio E17K Alpen 2 which are both usable as a USB DAC.
Since I don't want to use my headphones on the road portability doesn't matter.

I am only looking for the best audio experience I can get for about max 150€. Which FiiO device would be better in case of sound? Any other suggestions are also welcome, even a soundcard.

I am running Windows 10 if this matters.

Looking forward to read your opinions.

Best regards from germany

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 3
Of the 2 I'd probably go with the Alpen for the better SNR since everything else seems to be the same and it's only a little more $ and has the screen too.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your reply.

I ordered both devices and currently check them out. The sound on both FiiO's is very good and a very noticable improvement over my onboard soundcard. While the sound of the E10k is a bit warmer and fuller the E17k has a bit more clarity. What my ears could tell me is that both are very close to each other and make my Philips Fidelio X2 sound astonishing well.

I like the treble and bass settings on the E17k but the volume wheel is unhandy. It needs tons of scrolling action to reduce the volume from for example 30 to 5. Since I want to use the device only at my pc, the sound is quite similiar and the E10k is 50€ less in price I am going to stick with the E10k and send the E17k back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back