Upgrade from Swans D1080-IV ?
Jun 19, 2017 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

4to15Characters

New Head-Fier
Why I want to upgrade:
So this is a crummy reason, but the cable interconnecting the two speakers is way too short and I can't find a new one anywhere. It uses these connectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0125YRWDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have three displays on my desk, and am currently keeping my D1080s on either side of the inner monitor. I'd rather move them further apart so their on either side of the outer monitors and I can move all my monitors closer together. However, the cable connecting the Swans is only 3-4 feet and I'd need maybe 12 feet.

I'd just buy what I need to make a new one, but I have no idea how to do that and can't find any video instructions to do so on YouTube.

So basically, I need new speakers that use a more standard connector like banana plugs, and if I'm getting new speakers, why not upgrade?

What I'm thinking of upgrading to ($700 limit):
A little expensive, but I'd be willing the purchase if they're significantly better:
A̶u̶d̶i̶o̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶H̶D̶6̶
K̶E̶F̶ ̶Q̶3̶5̶0̶ ̶
K̶l̶i̶p̶s̶c̶h̶ ̶R̶P̶-̶1̶6̶0̶M̶

Something more in my budget:
A̶u̶d̶i̶o̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶A̶5̶+̶ (But I've heard it's honestly not that much better than the D1080-IV)
A̶u̶d̶i̶o̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶H̶D̶3̶

New considerations since original post:
JBL LSR305 ~ $282
JBL LSR308 ~ $378
Vanatoo Transparent One ~ $500
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s ~ $500
Emotiva Airmotiv 6s ~ $700
Adam Audio F5 ~ $450
Adam Audio F7 ~ $700
Klipsch R-15PM ~ $350
Yamaha HS5 ~ $200
Yamaha HS7 ~ $300
Yamaha HS8 ~ $400

I sit maybe 2 feet from my speaker, and have never turned my D1080s to more than 25% volume, so I don't need anything too loud. There's also plenty of times I'm not listening to anything at all, so a lack of background hiss would be nice. The audio going into the speakers should be pretty clean coming out of my Schiit Modi 2 Uber.

I listen to almost every genre of music, so I'd like something all around good in every aspect, but I'm not opposed to something heavy on the bass.

So which speaker would you suggest? Of the ones I mentioned or any other kind?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 14
The Audioengine HD6 is just an overpriced lifestyle product. For a desktop the JBL LSR305 is great. Also check out the Vanatoo Transparent One if you need something that isn't ugly.The Kef Q350 and Klipsch speaker you posted are not powered btw, so they would need an amplifier.

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 14
I share your sentiment about the HD6, but I thought it was worth including.

The JBL LSR305 seems to have really good reviews and has been coming up a lot in my research, but you're right, the Vanatoo looks way better. I'm considering them now, but this may sound nitbicky: I don't like that their knobs are in the back.

Whoops, wasn't even thinking about how the Kef and Klipsch are passive. I've got a Magni 2 Uber headphone amp, but that probably won't be enough. I'd rather not look into speaker amps and pile on that cost to the cost of the new speakers, so I'm counting those out.

Adam Audio looks like they make good speakers, but they're way to expensive for me. Guess I'll save buying those for when I eventually move up to the high end.

Edifier is another brand I was looking at, but they seem to use similar weird connectors as my D1080s.

I've been looking at the Audioengine A5+ more and more, and I can get them for just $319 refurbished. That seems like a pretty good deal to me considering that they look pretty good, have a convenient knob on the front, and keep coming up in comparisons with all these $500 speakers, so they must be good. Then again, I originally bought my D1080-IVs specifically because they were a cheaper and subjectively better alternative to the A5+.

The Audioengine HD3 is also available for the same refurbished price ($319). Though, there's not enough reviews for me to gauge whether they're a gimped HD6 or a beefed up A2+, and whether they're worth the money or if they'll sound better than my D1080-IV.

Then there's the Swans M50W, which thankfully use a standard 4-pin XLR instead of the 4-pin whatever on the D1080-IV. They seem pretty popular and I'm sure they sound good, but I wonder if that's just because it's a starter 2.1 setup. I'm sure if you added a subwoofer to the A5+ or any of the other speakers mentioned here, there wouldn't be a competition.

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 14
Well the Audioengine A2+ is overpriced trash, so there's that.

The Magni 2 Uber can be used as a preamp volume control through the RCA outputs. The Audioengine A5+ is inferior to both the Vanatoo and JBL speakers. You can ignore the volume knob on the vanatoo and use your magni uber. Adam Audio makes great stuff and not all their monitors are crazy expensive. For the Same price as the Vanatoo also consider the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s.

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 14
Why I want to upgrade:
So this is a crummy reason, but the cable interconnecting the two speakers is way too short and I can't find a new one anywhere. It uses these connectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0125YRWDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have three displays on my desk, and am currently keeping my D1080s on either side of the inner monitor. I'd rather move them further apart so their on either side of the outer monitors and I can move all my monitors closer together. However, the cable connecting the Swans is only 3-4 feet and I'd need maybe 12 feet.
I'd just buy what I need to make a new one, but I have no idea how to do that and can't find any video instructions to do so on YouTube.
So basically, I need new speakers that use a more standard connector like banana plugs, and if I'm getting new speakers, why not upgrade?
I sit maybe 2 feet from my speaker, and have never turned my D1080s to more than 25% volume, so I don't need anything too loud. There's also plenty of times I'm not listening to anything at all, so a lack of background hiss would be nice. The audio going into the speakers should be pretty clean coming out of my Shiit Modi 2 Uber.
I listen to almost every genre of music, so I'd like something all around good in every aspect, but I'm not opposed to something heavy on the bass.

Budget?

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 14
$700 limit. Obviously cheaper is better, but if it's worth the money then I'd be willing to pay more.

Well the Audioengine A2+ is overpriced trash, so there's that.

The Magni 2 Uber can be used as a preamp volume control through the RCA outputs. The Audioengine A5+ is inferior to both the Vanatoo and JBL speakers. You can ignore the volume knob on the vanatoo and use your magni uber. Adam Audio makes great stuff and not all their monitors are crazy expensive. For the Same price as the Vanatoo also consider the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s.
Alright, so Audioengine sucks is the vibe I'm getting from the audiophile community. Well that strikes out the rest of my original list :beyersmile:

You're right about Adam Audio, the F5 ($450) and F7 ($700) seem to be about in my budget.

The Emotive Airmotiv looks good and even the 6s would be in my budget, but I can't help but think that they look suspiciously similar to Adam speakers.

I also just discovered that Klipsch has the R-15PM, so I'm considering that now too, though it's priced a bit on the low end compared to these other speakers I'm looking at.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Adam Audio F7, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger since that's as much as my wallet can handle.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 14
Why I want to upgrade:

http://www.dextmall.com/products/swans-hivi-cable-gold-plated-4-pin-braided.html

Why I want to upgrade:

What I'm thinking of upgrading to ($700 limit):

A little expensive, but I'd be willing the purchase if they're significantly better:
A̶u̶d̶i̶o̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶H̶D̶6̶
K̶E̶F̶ ̶Q̶3̶5̶0̶ ̶
K̶l̶i̶p̶s̶c̶h̶ ̶R̶P̶-̶1̶6̶0̶M̶

Something more in my budget:
A̶u̶d̶i̶o̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶A̶5̶+̶ (But I've heard it's honestly not that much better than the D1080-IV)
A̶u̶d̶i̶o̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶H̶D̶3̶

New considerations since original post:
JBL LSR305 ~ $282
JBL LSR308 ~ $378
Vanatoo Transparent One ~ $500
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s ~ $500
Emotiva Airmotiv 6s ~ $700
Adam Audio F5 ~ $450
Adam Audio F7 ~ $700
Klipsch R-15PM ~ $350

I sit maybe 2 feet from my speaker, and have never turned my D1080s to more than 25% volume, so I don't need anything too loud. There's also plenty of times I'm not listening to anything at all, so a lack of background hiss would be nice. The audio going into the speakers should be pretty clean coming out of my Shiit Modi 2 Uber.

You're gonna need a preamp for those speakers on the list since they are symmetrical design unlike the Master-Slave design on the HiVi. And even if you retain the Hivi, with the Master speaker 6ft from you, you're definitely going to need a preamp unit near your hand. At minimum, you're going to need the Schiit Sys.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 14
I saw that, but I'm hesitant to buy cables from India. Also bizarrely 425,000 rupees is 6,572.34 USD?

You're gonna need a preamp for those speakers on the list since they are symmetrical design unlike the Master-Slave design on the HiVi. And even if you retain the Hivi, with the Master speaker 6ft from you, you're definitely going to need a preamp unit near your hand. At minimum, you're going to need the Schiit Sys.
Well that's not so bad, the Sys is only $50 and I've got room on my Schiit stack for more Schiit.

More speakers to add to my ever growing list of possibilities: The Yamaha HS5, HS7, and HS8.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 14
I saw that, but I'm hesitant to buy cables from India. Also bizarrely 425,000 rupees is 6,572.34 USD?

Well that's not so bad, the Sys is only $50 and I've got room on my Schiit stack for more Schiit.

More speakers to add to my ever growing list of possibilities: The Yamaha HS5, HS7, and HS8.
Again, your Magni 2 Uber functions as a preamp.

The Yamaha HS series is very competent, but I would put it under the JBL LSR series. The Emotiva speakers use an AMT transducer just like the Adam speakers do, but that is where the similarities end. Adam speakers tend to be front ported while the Airmotiv line is rear slot ported.

If your budget is $700 then the best in the price bracket is a used pair of Focal Alpha 65 speakers. The Focal Alpha 50 fits in your price range comfortably, but will obviously have less bass extension. You should also consider the Presonus R65.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 14
If your budget is $700 then the best in the price bracket is a used pair of Focal Alpha 65 speakers. The Focal Alpha 50 fits in your price range comfortably, but will obviously have less bass extension. You should also consider the Presonus R65.
Wow, people are comparing those Presonus R65 against the Adam A7X, a monitor way out of my budget.

I think I'll make a trek to my local Guitar Center and give some of these a listen. Unless the JBLs blow everything else out of the water, I don't think I'll get them. Sorry for hurting anyone's feelings, but those things are way too hideous.

The Presonus Eris E8 is an honorable mention, it just doesn't quite fill out my price range. Easily the most gorgeous speaker within my budget. Hey, I might even get them if I decide they sound good enough for me.

I think right now I'm debating between the JBL LSR305/8, Adam Audio F5/7, Yamaha HS7/8, Focal Alpha 50/(used)65, and Presonus R65/(used)80.

I'm also not sure which size monitor is good for me, if say I get stuck between 5", 6.5", 7", 8", etc. From what I've been reading, bigger is better. If it matters, my room is 13'W x 10'L x 14'H. Also something that I've been reading about is that shielding can be an issue, and if it is then it definitely will be for me since these monitors will be going right next to a router, laptop, display, phone, wireless mouse, wireless headphones, smart lights, a microwave right on the other side of the wall, just about everything that could cause a problem.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 14
Wow, people are comparing those Presonus R65 against the Adam A7X, a monitor way out of my budget.

I think I'll make a trek to my local Guitar Center and give some of these a listen. Unless the JBLs blow everything else out of the water, I don't think I'll get them. Sorry for hurting anyone's feelings, but those things are way too hideous.

The Presonus Eris E8 is an honorable mention, it just doesn't quite fill out my price range. Easily the most gorgeous speaker within my budget. Hey, I might even get them if I decide they sound good enough for me.

I think right now I'm debating between the JBL LSR305/8, Adam Audio F5/7, Yamaha HS7/8, Focal Alpha 50/(used)65, and Presonus R65/(used)80.

I'm also not sure which size monitor is good for me, if say I get stuck between 5", 6.5", 7", 8", etc. From what I've been reading, bigger is better. If it matters, my room is 13'W x 10'L x 14'H. Also something that I've been reading about is that shielding can be an issue, and if it is then it definitely will be for me since these monitors will be going right next to a router, laptop, display, phone, wireless mouse, wireless headphones, smart lights, a microwave right on the other side of the wall, just about everything that could cause a problem.
Bigger is not necessarily better in a 2-way speaker. 5 inches is good, and 6.5" woofers are probably the sweet spot for bass extension and maintaining low distortion since your tweeter doesn't have to play as low/your woofer doesn't have to play as high as a 7 or 8 inch.

The JBL LSR305 sounds better than the LSR308.

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 14
Bigger is not necessarily better in a 2-way speaker. 5 inches is good, and 6.5" woofers are probably the sweet spot for bass extension and maintaining low distortion since your tweeter doesn't have to play as low/your woofer doesn't have to play as high as a 7 or 8 inch.

The JBL LSR305 sounds better than the LSR308.

Makes sense and my wallet would like to agree. For some reason I never looked up the dimensions of 8" speakers and seeing them in person, they're way too big for my desk.

All I was able to determine for sure from my trip to Guitar Center was that the Yamahas are off my list. The JBLs are also way less ugly in person, but still a huge eyesore compared to all these others in my opinion.

It overall wasn't a great listening experience, half the monitors only worked on the right side, including the LSR305s, plus plenty of store noises including an annoying buzz from the neon lights overhead. I was mostly comparing the Adam A7X, LSR308, and M-Audio BX5. The BX5 honestly sounded the best to me, but I'm sure it'd be a completely different story if everything was working and in my quiet office where I'll be using them.

Since I'd rather not be searching for the best monitors for months and based on how great the reviews, I think I'll have to just go for the LSR305s for the same reason I got my D1080s back in the day: They can go toe to toe with speakers more than double their price.

Jun 25, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 14
Alright, so the JBL LSR305s arrived and they're making this hideous buzzing noise. The only way to get rid of it is to turn the speakers off either by the switch on the back or by turning the volume knob on the back all the way down. It's there at all times, constantly in the background, even when playing audio through them, even when no audio input is connected (but it's about 10x worse when there is a connection).

This is completely insufferable. I thought the buzzing I heard at Guitar Center was the neon lights overhead, but maybe it was these. If there's no convenient way to disable or reduce this, I'll have no choice but to return the 305s and get something else. I'd be more happy with my D1080s.

Is this normal? Just from moving my ear around, I can tell it's more from the tweeter, not the woofer. My D1080s had a slight hiss, but not a buzz as loud or obnoxious as this.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 14
Alright, so the JBL LSR305s arrived and they're making this hideous buzzing noise. The only way to get rid of it is to turn the speakers off either by the switch on the back or by turning the volume knob on the back all the way down. It's there at all times, constantly in the background, even when playing audio through them, even when no audio input is connected (but it's about 10x worse when there is a connection).

This is completely insufferable. I thought the buzzing I heard at Guitar Center was the neon lights overhead, but maybe it was these. If there's no convenient way to disable or reduce this, I'll have no choice but to return the 305s and get something else. I'd be more happy with my D1080s.

Is this normal? Just from moving my ear around, I can tell it's more from the tweeter, not the woofer. My D1080s had a slight hiss, but not a buzz as loud or obnoxious as this.

This is one case as to why I don't really suggest that people use an active monitor that only has XLR inputs - they tend to be horrible with noise from some SE outputs. By contrast I can hook up a Macbook to a KRK Rokit via 3.5mm to RCA and get a barely audible buzz that isn't audible at all in the situations where I'd do something like that (like a backyard party). Or just stick with a consumer powered speaker like HiVi and Edifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back