Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
May 14, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #496 of 811
I bought the ue4 as my first "expensive" set of headphones. I know you can spend a lot more - but until then, the most I spent was 100 bucks. I should have auditioned the various models when i got mine - but I thought I would never spend more than 400 bucks. Then I started down the rabbit hole. After using my UE4 - I wanted something that was fuller, crisper and offered a wider sound stage. Made the jump to add the UERR to my collection.

The sound from the UE4 and the UERR in terms of treble mids and bass is very similar. The UERR has slightly fuller and more complete bass but it is not EQ'd to get the bass really thumping. You will find if the track has significant low end bass the UERR will replicate it, but if the track does not - it will not. So now I have learned which tracks have bass built into them and which do not. A headphone eq'd to bass it - left me thinking more tracks had thumping bass.

As far as clarity - the UERR is masterful, the sound staging and separation are great. The clarity is great. Till now have only been playing them using Tidal and FLAC CD through my ipad and MacBook. I am looking for a DAC/AMP combo to realize more of the ability of the UERR. I think that may really help these little guys shine.

The UE4 is a smaller package and actually a bit more comfortable to wear for longer periods. I think that is because they are lighter and have a lower profile. This was a comment that they guys are UE made when I went there for a demo.

The sound is much better from the UERR. Is it $600 of value - I am not sure and have still not been able to answer that. Since I cant return either one - I just don't let my mind go there. Most of my friends think I am crazy. If I have to pick one to listen to - I prefer the UERR for sure. If I leave one set at work an only have the UE4 - I am not disappointed by any means but prefer the UERR overall.

I also auditioned the UE5 when I was at the UE headquarters. If you want a little more bass or generally prefer more bass than the UE4 - I would go that route. I wish I had one pair of UE5's or UE11's (more bass) and the UERR - there are some tracks that I just appreciate the clarity and reference ability of the UERR.... but sometimes I want to be immersed in a difffernt way - with more kick.

Where are you located? I recommend finding a dealer that has the ability to demo the sound of various units. If you are in Southern California - let me know, I can put you in touch with the dealer I used. he was great to work with.
Thanks for the detailed answer , really appreciate it. After some googling I found a UE dealer nearby , will audition them both soon , thanks again

May 20, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #502 of 811
Thanks. That makes sense. The open jaw method of taking ear impressions causes a bit of variance. I wonder how the 3D Scan takes open jaw into account.
You can take the 3D scan similarly to traditional silicone ear impressions: with a bite block. :right_facing_fist: (imagine a brown fist-bump) hehe

May 20, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #504 of 811
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity fellas.
For sure -- I really like the 3D scan, but the end result may not be perfect either, (the monitors are still finished by hand after printing) as I had a tech at their headquarters make a minor fit adjustment on-the-spot (little smoothing out of an angle).

May 20, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #505 of 811
For sure -- I really like the 3D scan, but the end result may not be perfect either, (the monitors are still finished by hand after printing) as I had a tech at their headquarters make a minor fit adjustment on-the-spot (little smoothing out of an angle).

3ds(can) = lower variance
3rd party audiologist = higher variance

I was hoping if I pick up UERR (3d scan) that there may be a slight possibility I can get my UE10 reshelled with 3d scan at the same time, but my current limited knowledge is that UE does not reshell older models.

May 20, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #506 of 811
3ds(can) = lower variance
3rd party audiologist = higher variance

I was hoping if I pick up UERR (3d scan) that there may be a slight possibility I can get my UE10 reshelled with 3d scan at the same time, but my current limited knowledge is that UE does not reshell older models.
I would personally not agree with the equations that were presented. I would say it all comes down to the tech creating the CIEM, regardless of use of 3D scan technology or use of traditional silicone ear impression methods.

You can always use various companies to reshell your UE10 if you find out that UE won't reshell your UE10 for you.

May 20, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #507 of 811
I would personally not agree with the equations that were presented. I would say it all comes down to the tech creating the CIEM, regardless of use of 3D scan technology or use of traditional silicone ear impression methods.

You can always use various companies to reshell your UE10 if you find out that UE won't reshell your UE10 for you.

But the handcrafting takes place after one of the equations? If you get a more accurate mold, the tech has something something less error prone?

Good advice. In no hurry, I'll wait till another UE purchase before a third-party reshell if there is the slightest chance UE can reshell the UE10. Only used the UE10 for a few months due to noob mismanagement, so should justify the effort.

May 20, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #508 of 811
But the handcrafting takes place after one of the equations? If you get a more accurate mold, the tech has something something less error prone?

Good advice. In no hurry, I'll wait till another UE purchase before a third-party reshell if there is the slightest chance UE can reshell the UE10. Only used the UE10 for a few months due to noob mismanagement, so should justify the effort.
As long as the tech receives good impressions, you should be good to go. The tech can review beforehand if your silicone impressions are sufficient to send to him/her. Some of my best fitting CIEMs were made with traditional impressions. 3D scanned/created tips fit can be less than desired as well, partly due to final application - based on my experience.

May 21, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #509 of 811
As long as the tech receives good impressions, you should be good to go. The tech can review beforehand if your silicone impressions are sufficient to send to him/her. Some of my best fitting CIEMs were made with traditional impressions. 3D scanned/created tips fit can be less than desired as well, partly due to final application - based on my experience.

Thanks for your solid advice. Just want a best fitting. Right now it's taped up because the shell is cracked with a large hole and just looking forward one day to the full experience with a solid fit.

May 21, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #510 of 811
I found UE pro customer service to be fantastic. I have very sensitive ears and have had my UE4's adjusted twice. Once by mail and once in person there at the UE office in Irvine. I got them to be where I wanted. UE then took a 3D scan of my ue4 before they made the UERR. The UERR fit pretty well. But I might have one adjustment made on those as well. In any case if you get a set and have issues - just contect UE customer support. They will take care of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back