TrekStor vibez going flash.
Aug 19, 2007 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

RubenNYC

100+ Head-Fier
Just though some folks here might be interested.

A week ago I noticed Trekstor added an "Introduction" tab to their vibez product page which stated the following:

Quote:

Whether jogging or skiing: the built-in flash memory is not affected by shakes or jolts. The high-contrast full-color TFT display is protected from impact by hardened plastic, and its robust and stylish back casing of high-grade steel makes vibez the perfect leisure companion.

(emphasis added).

I emailed support.us@trekstor.de and support@datastation.us about it and the status of the next firmware update, and after a couple of back and forth replies got the following:

Quote:

Dear customer,

thank you for requesting information from your TrekStor Service Team.

Sadly, at this moment we cannot provide you a definite publishing date for the vibez's firmware update. Of course we always try to enhance the MP3 player's firmware stability. We ask for your understanding.

TrekStor will indeed unveil a new model of the vibez at IFA 2007 in Berlin ("Internationale Funkausstellung", from August 31 to September 5). This new version disposes of a flash memory only and will be available with a memory capacity of 4 GB and 8 GB. The model name will be "vibez 4 GB F", "vibez 8 GB F".

Kind regards,

Marie Müller

TrekStor Service Team

Dominic who is the newest member of the staff over at DAPReview got the same thing.

Here's the original Riovolution thread LINKY and the story Dominic posted at DAPReview LINKY.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 38
Too bad they are topping out at 8gb. I love my Vibez but don't want to go backwards on available space. At least they are continuing development so higher capacities will hopefully be forthcoming.

Thanks for this bit of news. Very cool indeed!

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 38
This is still good news though. Hopefully the flash version will be relatively cheap. I have always wanted a karma, but held off because of their many problems. This might be my best chance at long last. I can't wait to see what else comes out of IFA.

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 38
I expect the flash players to be a bit mpre expensive than the HDD based players.

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I expect the flash players to be a bit mpre expensive than the HDD based players.

That's probably a safe bet, especially seeing as the prices on the HDD versions have already come down some. J&R lists the 12 GB for $189.99 down from $229.99. Best case scenario, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 8 GB flash vibez start at $229.99. And I really really really hope this includes a firmware update to fix some of the well known bugs.

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 38
I agree with you. It seems still a bit expensive to me (as well as the first Vibez).

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone made a nice carrying case with belt buckle yet, the reason I can never buy the Vibez (for the gym).

By far the best thing out there is the Noreve vibez case. I posted a review of it HERE.

housse_trekstor_Vibez_case_.jpg

May not be the most ideal for the gym, but it does the trick. I also picked up a Bally universal armband case at the Big K for $10 that's perfect for the gym so long as you don't need to mess around with it much.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 38
I guess I will be waiting for the flash version of this to come down. I have to find a way to test one out sometime though. I guess if I am in the city sometime I need to stop at J&R. I really don't understand how the flash version of these players can cost so much more than a HD player. Flash memory seems to be a lot cheaper than HD memory (at least in smaller sizes right now).

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any word on a flash Vibez?

Been poking around but haven't seen any mention of it anywhere, outside of the email they sent me, so who knows.

Feb 19, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 38
Anyone have a flash-Vibez already?

I'm probably buying a Vibez, but can't decide whether I'm grabbing the 12 Gb HD (138,9€), 8GB Flash (131,9€) or 4GB Flash (97,2€) version... 4GB would be more than enough for my day-to-day use, but larger capacity might come handy when I do field recordings with it.

So, are there any performance or other differences between the flash and the HD-versions? Differences in durability, battery life, reliability, anything? Does the HD-model skip or something if you go jogging with it?

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 38
Hey RubenNYC I have been thinking about getting the vibez and you are the man who knows everything about this dap. I want a player that supports gapless cause I listen to live concerts and whole albums which is why the vibez is high on my list. I have a set of akg k81dj headphones, how would the vibez sound driving these phones?

Feb 19, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 38
visara, I didn't think the flash versions were even available, yet.

moosehead, I don't know how it would sound with your akg's. All I can say is that it's not the most powerful dap out there, but it is plenty strong enough to drive my PX100s and SR-60s comfortably, FWIW.

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 38
thanks Ruben I think I will get the vibez. I am excited to have a dap that supports gapless and has a user adjustable EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back