Transport (DAP) for Mojo
Jul 11, 2016 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Man-ili

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,
I currently use my Chord Mojo with iPhone 5s via Onkyo HF player.
But now I have decided to go for a separate DAP and use it as a transport for Mojo.
So there are two questions:
1) Which DAP will be a good partner to Mojo?
2) Currently I fall in love with AK3* DAPs. So if its worth to pay for dual DAC AK320 or AK300 will be fine as a transport?
Thank you!

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 19
Hi Everyone,
I currently use my Chord Mojo with iPhone 5s via Onkyo HF player.
But now I have decided to go for a separate DAP and use it as a transport for Mojo.
So there are two questions:
1) Which DAP will be a good partner to Mojo?
2) Currently I fall in love with AK3* DAPs. So if its worth to pay for dual DAC AK320 or AK300 will be fine as a transport?
Thank you!
With a AK 320 I don't think there is a need for the Mojo. What are you trying to drive i.e. Headphones?

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 19
I hope you won't mind if I give you a slightly different advise. Rule of thumb, to get the most for the money you spend, always invest in a good set of headphones before spending on a good source. You already have a very good source, the Mojo.

In case you are wondering if AK320 will sound better through the Mojo than the AK300, because of dual DACs, the answer is No. Mojo does the Digital to Audio conversion. So it doesn't matter how many DAC chips are inside the transport. But if you will be using the DAP as a standalone player, then Yes, the dual DAC on the AK320 may sound better. 

If you are able to put down the money for an AK320, then you may want to look into getting a good IEM for $1000 and spend the remaining for the transport, may be the AK300. In fact DAPs like Fiio X3ii act as a good and reliable transport for Mojo and would save you a lot of money. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 19
Mojo works best with Bit-Perfect signals. AK70 does not do bit-perfect unless the files are 24/192 format.

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 19
I hope you won't mind if I give you a slightly different advise. Rule of thumb, to get the most for the money you spend, always invest in a good set of headphones before spending on a good source. You already have a very good source, the Mojo.

In case you are wondering if AK320 will sound better through the Mojo than the AK300, because of dual DACs, the answer is No. Mojo does the Digital to Audio conversion. So it doesn't matter how many DAC chips are inside the transport. But if you will be using the DAP as a standalone player, then Yes, the dual DAC on the AK320 may sound better. 

If you are able to put down the money for an AK320, then you may want to look into getting a good IEM for $1000 and spend the remaining for the transport, may be the AK300. In fact DAPs like Fiio X3ii act as a good and reliable transport for Mojo and would save you a lot of money. 

Actually, I recommend that you try it out because I find that differences in sound of different sources used with the mojo can make a stark difference because of the way the digital side is implemented. You may not believe it but do try it for yourself.

I never believed it. I was extremely skeptical when I tried but the difference was too large to be denied.

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 19
Actually, I recommend that you try it out because I find that differences in sound of different sources used with the mojo can make a stark difference because of the way the digital side is implemented. You may not believe it but do try it for yourself.

I never believed it. I was extremely skeptical when I tried but the difference was too large to be denied.

@WCDchee, given that I have not tried all those sources myself, I am not in a position to disagree with your statement. In fact, I look forward to trying an AK player’s optical input someday.

But between the AK320 and AK300, the OP had asked, if the dual DACs on the AK320 would make any difference when feeding the Mojo, for which I said No. But assuming, the AK320 used components of higher quality, that makes AK320 sounding slightly better than the AK300, would the OP be able to tell that difference using a $200 IEM? Wouldn’t you say the OP would be better off with a AK300+Mojo+$1000 IEM setup instead of a A320+Mojo+$200 IEM?

In my experience, when it comes to IEMs and sources, the difference in SQ from an IEM upgrade is more profound than a source upgrade.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 19
@WCDchee
, given that I have not tried all those sources myself, I am not in a position to disagree with your statement. In fact, I look forward to trying an AK player’s optical input someday.

But between the AK320 and AK300, the OP had asked, if the dual DACs on the AK320 would make any difference when feeding the Mojo, for which I said No. But assuming, the AK320 used components of higher quality, that makes AK320 sounding slightly better than the AK300, would the OP be able to tell that difference using a $200 IEM? Wouldn’t you say the OP would be better off with a AK300+Mojo+$1000 IEM setup instead of a A320+Mojo+$200 IEM?

In my experience, when it comes to IEMs and sources, the difference in SQ from an IEM upgrade is more profound than a source upgrade.

You are right there.

One player I would highly recommend which stands as among the best of the best players in its own right as well as, to my ears, the best DAP transport better than even the ak380, is the soundaware esther m1pro, it's not got that much hype but do give it a shot, I haven't heard a negative response to it on its sound quality alone. It's also cheaper than the ak300.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 19
Hi Everyone,
Thank a lot for you replies. I'll go to listen AK3*, Fiio, iBasso DAPs on this weekend. Also I'll try to find m1pro, haven't heard previously about it.
I'm going to listen for some IEMs as well, as I fully agree that with Mojo IEMs should give more SQ increase rather then DAP (as a transport).

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 19
Hi Everyone,
Finally I've bought Hidizs AP100. And now have an enjoyable time with the Mojo and AP100 as a transport.
Moreover I've saved some money for new IEMs. But that's will be a new story
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 19
Would a fiio x3ii be a decent transport for the Mojo?

I think it's really depends on what are the factors you rated as having higher importance level.

My own use cases as example, I have Mojo at the same time 3 DAPs: X3ii, DP-X1 and Opus#2

In terms of size, UI, total weight and convenience, I will vote for X3ii. I am believing lots of people like me are still not able to give up the jog-dial control wheel.

In terms of SQ, I will vote for Opus#2 to go with Mojo. Opus#2 can only use optical output to link with Mojo, X3ii the coaxial output and DP-X1 the USB port. Basically, some may assumes that SQ among these different combinations are more or less the same as D/A conversions are all going to be done by Mojo. But honestly, I can tell the SQ are different. You just don't what had been done before the audio data is being feed to the digital output chain. SQ of these combinations , 1) OPUS#2 with Furutech Optical cable 2) X3ii with a good coaxial cable, 3) DP-X1 with Furutech OTG cable

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 19

I think it's really depends on what are the factors you rated as having higher importance level.

My own use cases as example, I have Mojo at the same time 3 DAPs: X3ii, DP-X1 and Opus#2

In terms of size, UI, total weight and convenience, I will vote for X3ii. I am believing lots of people like me are still not able to give up the jog-dial control wheel.

In terms of SQ, I will vote for Opus#2 to go with Mojo. Opus#2 can only use optical output to link with Mojo, X3ii the coaxial output and DP-X1 the USB port. Basically, some may assumes that SQ among these different combinations are more or less the same as D/A conversions are all going to be done by Mojo. But honestly, I can tell the SQ are different. You just don't what had been done before the audio data is being feed to the digital output chain. SQ of these combinations , 1) OPUS#2 with Furutech Optical cable 2) X3ii with a good coaxial cable, 3) DP-X1 with Furutech OTG cable

You are absolutely correct. It is not just about the type of connection. I've tried so many Coax DAP transports and I have found the soundaware Esther m1pro to be by far the best. The 380 is actually a nice sounding transport, but the soundaware handily bests it. Here's a pic of my stack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back