There has has to be better....
Jul 27, 2017 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SDB777

New Head-Fier
Found my way here from doing endless, irrelevant searches that didn't really answer my questions....
Been reading a maze of topics, and it looks like everything I was led to believe about the equipment I I have purchased is almost useless.....meaning it'll be adequately useful as a paperweight.

6th Generation iPod 160gb Classic
FiiO Q1
Misc earbuds and headphones

Apparently I can not bypass the DAC in the iPod and use the FiiO as a DAC&amp, or am I wrong?

Thanks
Scott (my head hurts from reading) B

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 10
Found my way here from doing endless, irrelevant searches that didn't really answer my questions....
Been reading a maze of topics, and it looks like everything I was led to believe about the equipment I I have purchased is almost useless.....meaning it'll be adequately useful as a paperweight.

6th Generation iPod 160gb Classic
FiiO Q1
Misc earbuds and headphones

Apparently I can not bypass the DAC in the iPod and use the FiiO as a DAC&amp, or am I wrong?

You can't bypass the iTunes iPods' DAC chips without the proprietary chip that allows inside the DAC unit hooked up to it. Some iOS iPods, ie, iPod Touch, can, I think.

You can still use an LOD cable to send a line out signal from that iPod to the amp section of the Q1, then use it as a DAC-HPamp via USB with a computer at home.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 10
Yep I think your screwed on that one. If you get a Dap no need for the Q1.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 10
YOu can bypass the internal amp of the ipod and use a lod into the q1 such as the fiio L9. What you really should have purchased was just an amp and not a dac if just using the 6 gen ipod.
fiio_l9.jpg

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 10
HPamp via home computer....ugh?

Too heavy to carry around....was going for a portable rig.

DAC-HPamp via USB with a computer at home, HPamp via iPod LOD cable to Q1 analogue input portable.

If I upgrade the DAP, then I might not need the FiiO? Back to the paperweight.....

Scott (like flushing cha-Ching right down the bowl) B

Why did you even get the Q1? Even the Q1 MkII is only for iOS and Android, not the ancient iPods.

Speaking of which...if you're using iTunes to sync that and you like how that works, you might want to shave before trying any of them otherwise you risk tearing your hair out in clumps.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 10
It seems I was given a LOT of bad information during my first run at getting something decent.....or possibly information was omitted, either way.....that dude, may karma come and give him a dose.

iPod may be ancient, but it was what I have had for years(and I purchased it used).......and budgets are very strict around here. I don't buy the latest and greatest anything, especially at some of the unrealistic prices I've been seeing..... Not many working class people can afford to go out and drop $3K on something that will be getting used while mowing the lawn, hanging out in the break room at work, or even exercising.

Yes, I am using iTunes.....and I haven't had any issues? And at my age, I don't really need to shave much.....just not that much hair remaining. But I am all ears on another platform that is easy to use, will give me the ability to make great sounding files, and is free(or as close to free as possible)!

Scott (I'm ancient and proud of it) B

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 10
Where can I find one of these?

Scott (thanks for this one) B
Good question as they seem to be discontinued. I might be able to aquire one as i gave one to a friend about a year ago with an ipod and a fiio a5 amp but he dropped the ipod and the hd is dead now. Might not need the cable any longer. Replacing the hd in the ipod might not be in his budget as he can get a fiio x1 for 100.00.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 10
It seems I was given a LOT of bad information during my first run at getting something decent.....or possibly information was omitted, either way.....that dude, may karma come and give him a dose

Most likely what they had in mind was for you to use them via the iPod's dock line out and the Q1's analogue input, and then use the latter's USB when you have a smartphone or a computer.

iPod may be ancient, but it was what I have had for years(and I purchased it used).......and budgets are very strict around here. I don't buy the latest and greatest anything, especially at some of the unrealistic prices I've been seeing..... Not many working class people can afford to go out and drop $3K on something that will be getting used while mowing the lawn, hanging out in the break room at work, or even exercising.

Yes, I am using iTunes.....and I haven't had any issues? And at my age, I don't really need to shave much.....just not that much hair remaining. But I am all ears on another platform that is easy to use, will give me the ability to make great sounding files, and is free(or as close to free as possible)!

If you're fine with iTunes as it is there is no way that you will find another platform that is easy to use, regardless of how much you're willing to spend. The reality is that there are other people who find iTunes hard to use and given that Fiio won't exactly have the kind of software ecosystem as Apple anyway, when the X3 was designed, one of the design parameters people asked for was do not make it work like iTunes. That came with a host of other issues, but there are people who would much rather drag and drop than have software tag what's going in and then delete other content on the device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back