The Wire Headphone Amplifier
Jun 16, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #91 of 102
Good, you have blind test results to support this?

w

No. I haven't. I do not have the right conditions to perform the appropriate test. Sure my opinion is subjective. I am science guy too that is why I tell you to check it for your self.  For a little bigger price than commerce version of O2. There is nothing to talk about, go and check for yourself.  :)

At the same time, I had the opportunity to compare Hifimediy U2 with ODAC and I can heard the diffrence too.  :)

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #92 of 102
Does anyone know the username of the builder? Or contact info? I know no one has posted on this thread in a long time, just curious. Thanks

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #94 of 102
 Does anyone know the username of the builder

The builder of 'The Wire'? That would be member OPC over at Diyaudio. 
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #96 of 102
It is a very nice amp. It's very similar in its design ethos to the O2 amp. Vanishingly low harmonic distortion. Effectively a wire with current gain. Unity gain for voltage.

Normally your volume pot would go into where the RGL inputs are on the pictured board. My guess is the inputs are going thru those posts to the left and right of the tube section.

I will be using another Wire amp / PSU in an upcoming All In One project I'm working on. Beagle Bone Black using Volumio as music renderer attached via WiFi or Ethernet -> Acko AKL-S03 isolator/reclocker -> Acko AKD23P (ESS ES9023) DAC -> The Wire -> headphones or The Wire -> RCAs to separate amp.

Both of my Wire implementations have a gain of 3 vs. Unity.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #97 of 102
Still wonder why this DIY amp does not get much love in the forum.
Maybe because it looks to simple?
Although soldering smd parts looks challenging.

Balanced a hype or not.
But there are second to none (portable) amps with balanced in and out.

Still wonder why the amplifier market doesn't jump in to this.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #98 of 102
It is simple, yet it requires a minimum of a ±12V power supply to run it properly, which complicates things for a DIY beginner. In some ways the O2 amp is a much easier project to deal with as a beginner. Also it's not sold as a kit or a complete solution. There were/are versions of this amp that were BAL -> BAL or BAL -> SE... the most typical is the SE -> SE.

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #99 of 102
It is simple, yet it requires a minimum of a ±12V power supply to run it properly, which complicates things for a DIY beginner. In some ways the O2 amp is a much easier project to deal with as a beginner. Also it's not sold as a kit or a complete solution. There were/are versions of this amp that were BAL -> BAL or BAL -> SE... the most typical is the SE -> SE.

I don't see why it is more complicated with 12v power supplies?

I really like the idea of Bal-Bal.... Put in a 12v battery . Small case and can enjoy everywhere in the house or on the go.

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #100 of 102
It has to be a bi-polar supply. OPC makes an accompanying supply that works. No it's not too complicated. Just an extra level of setup/configuration.

Feb 1, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #102 of 102

Users who are viewing this thread

Back