The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Apr 21, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #1,893 of 2,481
I haven't, but I will be talking to them today at AXPONA in Chicago...I will report back later today what I find out. :popcorn:

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #1,895 of 2,481
  Has anyone in the current 40 sent there units back for a replacement?
has the firmware upgrade/software resolved any issues on the units in the wild?

I will be doing so, but the new version is still in prototype, as I understand. Sam and I talked at CanJam, and it sounded like they wanted to get a production run of the new ones out in the wild before replacing the original 45. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #1,896 of 2,481
Hmmmm . . . I didn't receive that email, but Sam did tell us something similar in the Facebook Live session. I'm hoping that mine will arrive in early May. Of course, that will mean I'll need to start learning how Android works and what side-loading is and how to do it! Hopefully, the folks on this forum will help me out!

I'm an Android geek so I can help ya if need be. I've been using my phone with Viper4android (insane app for audio effects and tweaks) pretty much for the last few hears, aside from PC and dedicated amp/dac. Look forward to having a portable music player again!

Side loading isn't too hard and the Android version on Explorer should be pretty self explanatory for most things. You'll just have to get used to swiping down for notifications, adjusting volume in-app vs the Explorer knob itself (don't have mine yet but this was brought up earlier in the thread by someone who has gotten his/hers), navigating settings menus etc.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #1,897 of 2,481
I'm an Android geek so I can help ya if need be. I've been using my phone with Viper4android (insane app for audio effects and tweaks) pretty much for the last few hears, aside from PC and dedicated amp/dac. Look forward to having a portable music player again!

Side loading isn't too hard and the Android version on Explorer should be pretty self explanatory for most things. You'll just have to get used to swiping down for notifications, adjusting volume in-app vs the Explorer knob itself (don't have mine yet but this was brought up earlier in the thread by someone who has gotten his/hers), navigating settings menus etc.

Doesn't V4A require root access? I wouldn't recommend an Android novice attempt to do that even with aot of help.

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #1,899 of 2,481
Is the product available for purchase? How does it fare when compared to a Fiio X5 3rd Gen + fiio A5 stack?

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #1,900 of 2,481
No it is not. I think the latest ETA is June 19. Early shipped products had too many problems to make any comparison meaningful, thus no reviews were posted. Echobox claims to have solved all of the issues and the next shipment of pre-orders is claimed to be a week or two away, but I think that timeline is unlikely.

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #1,901 of 2,481
Doesn't V4A require root access? I wouldn't recommend an Android novice attempt to do that even with aot of help.

I think you misread my post. I was just saying that I've been using my phone with V4a for the last few years as a portable music player, and that I look forward to having a DAP again. I wasn't suggesting to a novice to root the Explorer in any way, or even try.

May 3, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,905 of 2,481
A new expected ETA on the remaining Indiegogo units would be really good - got some pretty cool IEMs heading my way over the next few weeks or in my possession so looking forward to giving then a proper run through with the Explorer when it turns up!

@makethemusic - any good news for us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back