Tchaikovsky 1812 Neeme Järvi, Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra on DG
Dec 16, 2003 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aeberbach

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone else have this CD? I was just getting to the bottom of the pile in the big FLAC re-encode project and I played this one. What a magnificent recording - it is head and shoulders above my other recording directed by Karajan in all respects, from the beginning vocals to the cannon (specially fired for this recording by the Gothenburg Artillery Division. It is bright, lively and immensely satisfying.

Anyone have another favorite version of this piece?

Dec 17, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 9
I really like my version of 1812 by the Los Angeles Phil/ZubinMehta. The cannons really stress my system, which isnt anything to worry about destroying.

If you like ENERGY in your music you should try Shostakovich/Gergiev symphony No. 7. on Philips. Two orchestra's! Its super loud and I think its a very nice recording. Ther are some times when you may have to turn the volume up to hear the detaiils, but htey are there.

BILL

Dec 17, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 9
check out järvi and the sno's recordings of prokofiev's symphonies on the chandos lable. the 6th is particularly stunning, especially for a digital recording from the 80's.

Dec 18, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by ilikemonkeys
If you like ENERGY in your music you should try Shostakovich/Gergiev symphony No. 7. on Philips. Two orchestra's! Its super loud and I think its a very nice recording.

Understatement... mind your eardrums!

It's a great recording though. Gergiev is fabulous.

Järvi's 1812 is my favorite as well. Dorati on Mercury is also notable.

--Chris

Dec 18, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 9
This is my favorite :

B00005AVNH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dec 18, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 9
My favorite version is:

Solti/London

I have not heard any other version that can match Solti in the last
3.5 minutes of this work......he has tremendous swagger/energy which he is well known for but maintains the structure and coherence of the score beautifully. The descending swirling violins after the first cannon volley are like a giant vortex sucking you in, the effect is very dramatic unlike any other version. The bells are synthetic but sound better to me than any other I have heard, the final gallop/march sequence is as powerful/noble as any I have heard.

The only problem is that currently only available in 2CD mid price set of Solti Tchaikovsky pieces
frown.gif
unfortunately the other pieces are not of the same quality/stature as the 1812, his "nutcracker" suite is very good though......used versions available at Amazon:

Solti

My favorite Tchaikovsky orchestral piece is "capriccio italien" so if this is included as additional work with 1812 I usually buy these collections.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 9
I have the Jarvi/Gothenburg version and it's the closest I could get to the version I grew up to (Dad had Garrard LP75 deck and Valve amp feeding into 12" Celestion speakers in home made cabinets). The version I grew up with also uses authentic Cannon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back