Supplements to protect your hearing and slow age-related loss?
May 29, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 7
I hadn't seen those particular studies before. The thing about them to bear in mind is that they were in a setting of cisplatin chemotherapy, which generates lots of reactive oxygen species (metabolites). The question is, is that situation like age-related hearing loss? I don't think anyone knows. The one study showed that in a small number of humans, giving antioxidants halted or slowed hearing loss and tinnitus associated with cisplatin administration. This is a very specific circumstance and as far as I know, antioxidants have never been shown in a really, really good human study to prevent age-related hearing loss. That said, there definitely are less than ideal studies that show efficacy (non-placebo controlled, double-blind ones), which is suggestive. There is a very good study in guinea pigs that showed that high doses of vitamins A, C, E, and magnesium reduced or prevented loud noise-associated hearing loss. It had to be given before the noise, though, and continued for five days. The noise was prolonged close-range, jet engine-level sound. So, the question is, then, which antioxidants and how much? And that is what no one knows, as far as I know. I've seen vitamins A, C, E, beta-carotene, lipoflavanoids, and magnesium used. I'm sure there are others. But you don't want to take too much--vitamins A and C can when oxidized act as free radicals. So, it's complicated--not at all surprisingly.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 7
I hadn't seen those particular studies before. The thing about them to bear in mind is that they were in a setting of cisplatin chemotherapy, which generates lots of reactive oxygen species (metabolites). The question is, is that situation like age-related hearing loss? I don't think anyone knows. The one study showed that in a small number of humans, giving antioxidants halted or slowed hearing loss and tinnitus associated with cisplatin administration. This is a very specific circumstance and as far as I know, antioxidants have never been shown in a really, really good human study to prevent age-related hearing loss. That said, there definitely are less than ideal studies that show efficacy (non-placebo controlled, double-blind ones), which is suggestive. There is a very good study in guinea pigs that showed that high doses of vitamins A, C, E, and magnesium reduced or prevented loud noise-associated hearing loss. It had to be given before the noise, though, and continued for five days. The noise was prolonged close-range, jet engine-level sound. So, the question is, then, which antioxidants and how much? And that is what no one knows, as far as I know. I've seen vitamins A, C, E, beta-carotene, lipoflavanoids, and magnesium used. I'm sure there are others. But you don't want to take too much--vitamins A and C can when oxidized act as free radicals. So, it's complicated--not at all surprisingly.

Very interesting. Thank you for the response. I guess I'll talk to my doctor about CoQ10. Maybe it's worth taking if there are other benefits of doing it. I currently take a multivitamin pill, which has VitA and VitC. Is there much risk there?

May 29, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Very interesting. Thank you for the response. I guess I'll talk to my doctor about CoQ10. Maybe it's worth taking if there are other benefits of doing it. I currently take a multivitamin pill, which has VitA and VitC. Is there much risk there?

I don't think a mainstream multivitamin represents much of a risk. It's the big doses that I think are likely the problem.. Probably a good idea to talk to your doc or an ENT.

May 30, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 7
I am in a rather unique position to address the cisplatin chemo info, as I'm a testicular cancer survivor. Cisplatin causes a variety of nasty permanent side effects - nerve damage (in 2/3 of patients), crosses the blood-brain barrier & damages the brain, etc.

The main issues I experienced were crippling peripheral neuropathy in hands and feet, brain problems (memory loss, executive functioning, speech problems), tooth problems, and hearing loss/tinnitus.

It's taken 10 years to finally progress to the point where I am basically "normal" again, and I'm no longer taking any medications to control the neuropathy and brain effects.

The hearing loss/tinnitus has recovered to my pre-chemo level. Because ALL hair is affected - head, face, eyelashes, eyebrows, arms/legs, south of the border - the hairs in the cochlea have to be affected to. It all grows back eventually, although some of it has changed (pigment changes, thinner, patchy, etc).

As far as supplements, anything that supports nerve health has helped me tremendously - B12, B6, Magnesium, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, and Alpha-Lipoic Adid.

There are reports that Co-Q 10 is helpful, but I would make sure you're taking the ones in my list before Co-Q 10.

As far as "fixes" for tinnitus, there really isn't any. The supplements and OTC remedies for tinnitus don't work. I've looked into this for many years now from reliable (ie non-pseudoscientific) Drs and sources, and the consensus is that tinnitus is permanent. It increases as we age regardless of whether you've had chemo or not also.

The BEST thing you can do to is to protect your hearing in the 1st place - listen at lowest possible volumes, reduce exposure, wear protection when going to concerts/movies/clubs, shooting weapons/fireworks, & operating tools/equipment, etc. Even if you already have tinnitus and/or hearing loss, you should do those things to prevent it from worsening. I have been able to prevent mine from getting any worse.

I still have a bit of hearing loss and tinnitus, but that was all from being stupid when I was younger (concerts and clubs with no hearing protection, career-related frequency loss, etc).

May 30, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 7
I am in a rather unique position to address the cisplatin chemo info, as I'm a testicular cancer survivor. Cisplatin causes a variety of nasty permanent side effects - nerve damage (in 2/3 of patients), crosses the blood-brain barrier & damages the brain, etc.

The main issues I experienced were crippling peripheral neuropathy in hands and feet, brain problems (memory loss, executive functioning, speech problems), tooth problems, and hearing loss/tinnitus.

It's taken 10 years to finally progress to the point where I am basically "normal" again, and I'm no longer taking any medications to control the neuropathy and brain effects.

The hearing loss/tinnitus has recovered to my pre-chemo level. Because ALL hair is affected - head, face, eyelashes, eyebrows, arms/legs, south of the border - the hairs in the cochlea have to be affected to. It all grows back eventually, although some of it has changed (pigment changes, thinner, patchy, etc).

As far as supplements, anything that supports nerve health has helped me tremendously - B12, B6, Magnesium, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, and Alpha-Lipoic Adid.

There are reports that Co-Q 10 is helpful, but I would make sure you're taking the ones in my list before Co-Q 10.

As far as "fixes" for tinnitus, there really isn't any. The supplements and OTC remedies for tinnitus don't work. I've looked into this for many years now from reliable (ie non-pseudoscientific) Drs and sources, and the consensus is that tinnitus is permanent. It increases as we age regardless of whether you've had chemo or not also.

The BEST thing you can do to is to protect your hearing in the 1st place - listen at lowest possible volumes, reduce exposure, wear protection when going to concerts/movies/clubs, shooting weapons/fireworks, & operating tools/equipment, etc. Even if you already have tinnitus and/or hearing loss, you should do those things to prevent it from worsening. I have been able to prevent mine from getting any worse.

I still have a bit of hearing loss and tinnitus, but that was all from being stupid when I was younger (concerts and clubs with no hearing protection, career-related frequency loss, etc).
Congratulations on your good health!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back