Suggestions for a WARM sounding Portable amp
Aug 31, 2012 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Calle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi :)

I am buying my first portable rig and I need some help on which amp I have to choose. I know that a lot of users on this forum has extensive knowledge on various amps. So my question is, which warm sounding amp should I choose. Price is irrelevant. I should mention that the amp is for a pair of IEM. Either the Phonak Audeo PFE 232 or Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 and they will be used for listening mainly to trance. If you have better suggestions for a pair of IEM's that will sound better with trance please do not hesitate to enlighten me. :)

Thanks for your times.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 32
The RSA AMPs are warm sounding and P51 willbe better pick with Pure Cryo or Cryo & Silver 18AWG ALO dock cables or mini to mini helps to sound warmer and richer than only silver cables. The IEMs like Sennheiser IE80/ IE8, Sony EX1000, XBA4, UETF10Pro are better match for these genres music.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 32
OF copper cable is warm. RSA Hornet is nice. But for 10cm of connecting cable you really won't hear much difference. Just pick one that looks nice. Source amp and headphones are the most important. Starting with what's at the ear first :)

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 32
Thanks for the replies.

I have looked at RSA's amps but to be honest I got confused. He has so many portable amps its hard to find info on all of them and if they are indeed warm sounding or not.

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 32
I will again recommend the P51 mustang+Pure Cryo cable to make your CK10, PFE232 warm sounding with add bass and wider soundstage. The RSA offers many portable AMPs and rightnow SR71B are very highend one(Predator are warm sounding too). The other AMPs like ALO offers RX MKII or RX MKIII which are another topend AMPs and you can get recommendation from ALO Audio for cable too. BTW are you using iPods to pair with or other DAPs?.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:
I can report back that I bought the ALO Continental V2 and I am very happy with it. Does the job great and it has lots of power.

Great choice, in my opinion.  Of course, it has the option of the gain switch for your IEMs and more hungry headphones.  Let us know more how it's sounding.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 32
I will write a few words on it when it has been properly broken in. But from what I hear now it is very good. Smooth midrange, bloomy treble and a silky sweet overall signature. This is my first portable amp and I am very surprised that it drives both my FitEar! ToGo 334 and my Audeze LCD-3.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 32
well of all of the warmer sounding amps that I have chased and listened too, which in comparison to other Head-fiers may not be alot, but the C&Cxo2 is an awesome warm amp, more so then my GS Voyager, but not as warm as my Lisa3, I have tried the TTVJ and the Arrow? not warm at all, never had the pleasure of hearing the RSA lineup? or ALOs?

haven't been bitten by an upgraditis bug lately, and not likely either, whew, sure is nice though!

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 32
The P51 RSA amp is an excellent and fun little amp. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 32
JDS Labs cMoyBB with the POA2227 Opamp[size=small].[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back