Styleaudio's Topaz and Emerald DAC/AMP Sale!!
Mar 27, 2009 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SACD-Man

Formerly With Whiplash Audio
3381349254_e9b9b01df8.jpg

Whiplash Audio is proud to introduce the Styleaudio line of products to North America. Cryoparts will be the sole authorized importer and North American distributor of these fine components from our friends in Korea and they have named officially named Whiplash Audio a dealer!!

To start with, Whiplash Audio will be introducing the "Topaz" and the "Emerald" DAC/headphone amps. These two units are specifically designed for export to the US and employ everything that Styleaudio have learned over the past years as Korea's number one manufacturer of DAC/headphone amps.

In order to better serve the US market, Syleaudio re-designed the Topaz and Emerald with better specifications, used higher end parts/components and added a unique brass footer to help damp resonance. They also designed the Topaz and Emerald specifically to work with our 120VAC here in North America.

Styleaudio Topaz
3380528447_11beaa6f73.jpg

3380528489_4d0b5d2c1f.jpg

3380528557_90f5dfbafe.jpg

The Styleaudio Topaz is an affordable ultra high quality DAC and headphone amplifier. A custom designed and very dense PCB is stuffed with the highest quality parts, including: OSCON and WIMA caps, 1.0ppm TCXO clock and Vishay-Dale resistors. In addition to using top shelf parts, the designers also segregated each section of the unit, isolating the input, digital coversion, main power and analog sections from each other to ensure a very low noise floor.

The headphone driver portion of the Topaz is quite special, utilizing two of the high performance TI/Burr Brown OPA2134 OPAMP's, allowing the Topaz to comfortably drive any headphone from 32ohm to 300ohm. The line ouput section gets the same attention to detail as the rest of the unit and employs two of the Analog Device AD817 OPAMP's, allowing the Topaz to be at home in a high end two channel audio system. Impressively, the Topaz also use four of the TI NE5534 OPAMP's for the I/V section, a testament to their dedication to quality and good sound.

The impressive engineering pedigree and use of top notch parts continues into the DAC section. Utilizing the TI PCM1792 24bit/192Khz DA converter, this DAC is capable of an astounding dynamic range of 123dB with a negligible THD+N of 0.0005%. The USB input is controlled by the proven TI PCM2707 USB controller, allowing use of up to 48Khz files via USB. And, finally, the digital controller is the Crystal CS8416 with low jitter clock recovery.

The Topaz is truly "plug and play" with any Mac OS of 9.0 or later and any Windows OS of 2000, or later. Plug it in, let the dirvers load, select the device (if necessary) and listen to the great sound now emanating from your computer!

Package includes:
Topaz DAC/headphone amp
USB Cable
Brass feet/couplers
User’s manual
6VDC power adapter
For more detailed information and full specifications, visit the Styleaudio factory Topaz blog entry, which will sound a lot like my description as I assisted Styleaudio with the English content.

[size=large]Introductory special $449.00! [/size]
Purchase here: DACs

For optimum performance from your USB source and this DAC, we recommend that you purchase a CryoParts USB cable from Whiplash Audio: USB Cables

Styleaudio Emerald
3381414676_b428eea1e3.jpg

3381414616_0fa4a297d0.jpg

3380592949_9db273ba69.jpg

3380593187_7bbe6a5c8a.jpg

The Styleaudio Emerald is an affordable very high quality DAC and headphone amplifier. A custom designed and very dense PCB is stuffed with the highest quality parts, including: OSCON and WIMA caps, 1.5ppm TCXO clock and Vishay-Dale resistors. In addition to using top shelf parts, the designers also segregated each section of the unit, isolating the input, digital conversion, main power and analog sections from each other to ensure a very low noise floor.

The Emerald is a high performance portable device as it can make use of either USB bus power via its internally TDK filtered circuit, allowing it to be powered from any computer when you are on the go. Or it can be powered via the included external "wall wart", when one is near a power receptacle and desires a bit higher performance.

The headphone driver portion of the Emerald is special as well, utilizing the high performance OPA2134 and OPA2604 OPAMP's from TI. This robust headphone amplification section will drive any headphone from 32ohm to 300ohm with ease.

And, the "goodness" continues into the DAC section. Utiliziing the TI PCM1793 24bit/192Khz DA converter, this DAC is capable of an astounding dynamic range of 113dB with a negligible THD+N of 0.001%. The USB input is controlled by the proven TI PCM2707 USB controller, allowing use of up to 48Khz files via USB.

The Emerald will work "plug and play" with any Mac OS of 9.0 or later and any Windows OS of 2000, or later. Plug it in, let the drivers load, select the device (if necessary) and listen to the great sound now emanating from your computer!

Package includes:
Emerald DAC/headphone amp
USB Cable
Brass feet/couplers
User’s manual
5VDC power adapter
For more detailed information and full specifications, please download the StyleAudio Emerald Specifications PDF brochure, or visit the Styleaudio factory Emerald blog entry, which will sound a lot like my description as I assisted Styleaudio with the English content

[size=large]Introductory special $299.00! [/size]
Purchase here: DACs

For optimum performance from your USB source and this DAC, we recommend that you purchase a CryoParts USB cable from Whiplash Audio: USB Cables

For further details, please visit Whiplash Audio: Whiplash Audio Dynamics

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 17
I had one of these overnighted a few weeks ago from Whiplash Audio, and it sounds amazing! I did some research and bought a USB cable with it and I am so glad I did. The USB cable that comes in the box is nothing compared to the custom cables. This DAC made my ESW9's sound even better
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 17
Hello Everyone,

I am sending Jude one of each of the above to use at the Detroit mini-Meet on 2009-04-18 (Saturday), so those of you that are going, please check them out.

Apparently, Jude will have the HD800's at that meet!

In any event, support Craig at Whiplash Audio as he is my main dealer for these great products here on HeadFi:

Whiplash Audio Dynamics

Peace,

Lee

May 26, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 17
I'm sorry if I just don't get it but could someone please explain this whole "redesigned for 120vac" business? As far as I can see these things are powered by 5-6v DC which means that it shouldn't make any difference if the mains adapter was 220v,120v, 50 or 60hz....If someone could shed some light on that it would be appreciated.

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by karthur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry if I just don't get it but could someone please explain this whole "redesigned for 120vac" business? As far as I can see these things are powered by 5-6v DC which means that it shouldn't make any difference if the mains adapter was 220v,120v, 50 or 60hz....If someone could shed some light on that it would be appreciated.

LoL, i think thats the one more point - dont read advertisment - go and listen - if you like it get it ...

Is "specialy designed" all right !

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 17
Hey Craig, it arrived today! Right on time too, as it's also my birthday....only wished there is a pre amp function with a functional volume control when using the RCA outputs, but other than that, sounds great!

Brendan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back