Stax Sigma design using T50RP Planar Magnetic Drivers?
Feb 6, 2017 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bubblejuice

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know if this type of mod has been done yet?

I'd love to give it a go if it hasn't been done. Considering how much smaller the T50rp driver is, I'm sure the overall aesthetics of the headphones could also be improved lol.

But i'm wondering what kind of differences could be expected between using Planar drivers and Electrostatic ones when working with the forward driver panoramic design.

I'll probably be giving this a shot if I can get my hands on some Fostex for fairly cheap.

P.S. I've never heard the Sigma, only read reviews. I'm not sure why they are not more popular than they are considering the absolutely glowing reviews they seem to receive. I also know very little about modding and the science behind the sound, this is just one of those things i'm going to give go at anyways. But I would love some help to understand what I should be expecting (theoretically).

Feb 11, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 4
There is the AKG K1000  which used a dynamic driver where the drivers could be swivelled out to fire sound back over the ears, like the Sigma.    http://www.akg.com/pro/p/k1000

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 4
  There is the AKG K1000  which used a dynamic driver where the drivers could be swivelled out to fire sound back over the ears, like the Sigma.    http://www.akg.com/pro/p/k1000

Thanks you for the suggestion. Unfortunately the drivers are not forward and they are far too open to resemble this design. But they are a curious design.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks you for the suggestion. Unfortunately the drivers are not forward and they are far too open to resemble this design. But they are a curious design.

The AKG can be used either as a conventional headphone or the drivers  swivelled 90 degrees to the ear so that they run like Sigmas but with no enclosure.  I am a Sigma man myself and  recall that the AKG  was very power hungry and required a power amp, not  a headphone amp. From this I conclude that the enclosure mattered a lot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back