Sony MDR-XB50: All of your basses...all of them.
Mar 2, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #46 of 93
Well, you learn something everyday......
I posted a question about not having enough bass with my MDRXB50AP but there was actually nothing wrong. I changed out the eatbud tips which were small fitting to the largest size and that fixed my situation about the bass. The bass is cranking!
Like I said, you learn something everyday!!! Thanks for your replies guys!

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #47 of 93
My curiosity got the best of me.  I bought an open box set of these off ebay for $15 with free shipping.  Hope the bass is as good as stated...

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #48 of 93
My curiosity got the best of me.  I bought an open box set of these off ebay for $15 with free shipping.  Hope the bass is as good as stated...

They're a fun piece slowpickr. I think you'll enjoy them. Just don't go in expecting a technical powerhouse. "Mids and treble were harmed in the making of this iem." - Anonymous Sony rep.

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #49 of 93
They're a fun piece slowpickr. I think you'll enjoy them. Just don't go in expecting a technical powerhouse. "Mids and treble were harmed in the making of this iem." - Anonymous Sony rep.

Oh I'm not. Just want some brain shaking :wink:.

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #50 of 93
That they can do in spades :D I've been using them again over the last couple weeks...so much fun. They are really forgiving with low quality recordings/sources as well, which I appreciate. I still think the AS800AP make them somewhat obsolete, as they do everything better ('cept comfort) for only ~20 bucks more, but the XB50 is still worth the money imo. Keep in mind that I got them when they were first released and paid approximately 70-80 CAD. They're not worth that, but they are worth the 30-50 they routinely go for new, if all you want is an ungodly amount of bass
basshead.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #51 of 93
I own several pairs of the Sony MDRXB50AP. The best in ear I'd ever tried, at any price, and I've tried dozens. A good fitting choice of tip gives good isolation and comfort. Mids and highs are flat. Some think they lack highs, maybe they have high end hearing loss with over use of in-ears too loudly. They're conditioned to expect bright and harsh in-ears. The bass is fully extended, powerful and it is tight and clean. Intrudes in low mid a bit, but not bad. It actually gives them just the right amount of body and warmth for me.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #52 of 93
I own several pairs of the Sony MDRXB50AP. The best in ear I'd ever tried, at any price, and I've tried dozens. A good fitting choice of tip gives good isolation and comfort. Mids and highs are flat. Some think they lack highs, maybe they have high end hearing loss with over use of in-ears too loudly. They're conditioned to expect bright and harsh in-ears. The bass is fully extended, powerful and it is tight and clean. Intrudes in low mid a bit, but not bad. It actually gives them just the right amount of body and warmth for me.

Post the same thing in multiple threads? I had the XB50APs for a while. Didn't like the mids and treble. Sold them on eBay for around $12. I'm done with Sony XB series (except the MDR XB500s which I like pretty well).

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #53 of 93
Post the same thing in multiple threads? I had the XB50APs for a while. Didn't like the mids and treble. Sold them on eBay for around $12. I'm done with Sony XB series (except the MDR XB500s which I like pretty well).

Lol, I noticed that too. I am much more hesitant to recommend them now that I've listened to much better gear since I first picked them up; their flaws stick out more now. Mids and treble are pretty significantly compromised, but I still think they're a decent bass-head pick for the price. Can definitely do worse. They're not a well-rounded product but are fun with certain genres. 

Edit: They're also completely outclassed by the AS800AP, which is better in every way. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #55 of 93
Lol, I noticed that too. I am much more hesitant to recommend them now that I've listened to much better gear since I first picked them up; their flaws stick out more now. Mids and treble are pretty significantly compromised, but I still think they're a decent bass-head pick for the price. Can definitely do worse. They're not a well-rounded product but are fun with certain genres. 

Edit: They're also completely outclassed by the AS800AP, which is better in every way. 

Yep, I'm sure there are also some JVC (wink) offerings that are much better. The KZ ED9/10 seem to be getting a lot of love. I've been trying to resist these low budget wonders. Thinking I can save up for something really good in the $100 - $200 range instead. This could be flawed reasoning though. Seems like diminishing returns is taking over at lower cost these days.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #56 of 93
Yep, I'm sure there are also some JVC (wink) offerings that are much better. The KZ ED9/10 seem to be getting a lot of love. I've been trying to resist these low budget wonders. Thinking I can save up for something really good in the $100 - $200 range instead. This could be flawed reasoning though. Seems like diminishing returns is taking over at lower cost these days.

Aaaannnnd what are you suggesting? That I am biased towards the amazingness that is JVC? 
eek.gif

The AS800AP is better than any of the bassy JVCs I own. They're a great earphone betrayed by their egg-based design and exercise focused marketing. Just get the ED10 and there you go. It's super cheap and you'll have one of the best budget earphones out there.

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #57 of 93
Aaaannnnd what are you suggesting? That I am biased towards the amazingness that is JVC? :eek:

The AS800AP is better than any of the bassy JVCs I own. They're a great earphone betrayed by their egg-based design and exercise focused marketing. Just get the ED10 and there you go. It's super cheap and you'll have one of the best budget earphones out there.

Does that include the FXH30? Oh, I would never accuse you of bias. This is Head Fi... no bias, no hidden agendas, no misleading. :wink: (just kidding)

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #60 of 93
I bought the Sony MDR-XB50 for outdoor use. First, I tested them on my iPhone 5s. The sound was weak and not very satisfying. Then, I tested them on my Sony XA50ES CD Player with Little Dot MKIII tube amp. The earbuds instantly impressed me. I didn't expect them to sound so impactful for the price. It doesn't sound as good as my Shure SE846 of course, but very good for the price range. My only complaint is that the mids sound a bit harsh as if the input is too much to handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back