Sony MDR-7520
Jul 21, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2,372 of 2,535
sorry i should have added:
for my ipod touch 6/mojo i'm mostly using Tidal streaming.
..sure I have a few 24/192 files but vast majority is Tidal
(heck even have 700 gb of ripped music on an external HD
but just love the convenience of Tidal)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,376 of 2,535
Hi Guy,

I have PHA-2A and MDR-1A now.

I need to get one headphone for sound monitoring. Does it still make sense to get MDR-7520 or should get MDR-Z7 with 4.4 cable ?

idk 7520 but Z7 isn't very neutral if that is important to you- more for easygoing listening- also, it's heavily ported so it doesn't isolate at all if that is a consideration.

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #2,377 of 2,535
Hi Guy,

I have PHA-2A and MDR-1A now.

I need to get one headphone for sound monitoring. Does it still make sense to get MDR-7520 or should get MDR-Z7 with 4.4 cable ?

What kind of monitoring? for production and studio work the 7520 is much better than the Z7. For vocal monitoring there a many cheaper options. MDr-v6, ath-m40x, etc

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #2,379 of 2,535
I see, Thank for that. I think I will get MDR-7520 then.

Good luck! If you don't find one consider a Focal Spirit Professional, Yamaha HPH-MT8 or HPH-MT220.

If you are doing any production work that involves percussion or kick drums, you will appreciate the 7520. For some it may sound overly bassy, but for monitoring its going to help. Such a unique headphone, dead flat mid-range and very punchy bass :)

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #2,380 of 2,535
To all -

Purchased the earpads for the Shure SRH1540 to try on the 7520 and I have to say they're a good fit and don't alter the sound signature too much. Worth a try for those of you wanting more comfortable earpads.

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #2,381 of 2,535
Hello, fellas. Here I am writing from Russia and I want to share my thoughts of these headphones. They're indeed great, have bought them half a year ago and still I'm fairly happy with em. Only bad thing is their creaking issue which I fixed using old Soviet motor oil onto the inside of the joints. These plastic joints are real shame on the company, they could've make them out of metal and no problems would have appeared. Anyway, half a year ago I went to the biggest headphones shop in Moscow and listened a plenty of phones priced from $100-4000. These were the Focal Elear which probably very noice phones but with extremely narrow soundstage (which amazed me) and very poor quality which causes rattle sound on pretty loud volume in bass. Shame. Overall sound quality of Elear was OK, but so much better could it be for a $999 ones. OPPO PM3 which used to be quite popular in this thread in comparison with Sony (so did the PM2) seemed to my ears like a very expensive marketing toy, no more, because sounded extremely dull and flat. Just uninteresting listening of every jenre all they can give you, ridiculously dismal phone. Beyerdynamic T1 sounded extremely soapy in bass and screechy in treble despite a very high quality source of Burson Audio Conductor SL 9018. I also checked the Shure 1840 and 1540, these are good phones, but sounding too inexpressive and dull to my taste without any punch in lows. Some more headphones were listened by me either.
I also had experience with magnificent Pioneer HDJ-2000 which were really spectacular headphones for the price, providing very soft and gentle sound in all frequencies. Moreover, they're stylish and solid (MK2 model is a big mistake). Although less natural and punchy sounding than 7520. So I listen them now from my SMSL M9 and I must say they go really well still, my favourite headphones. I also have the senn HD598 which I adore too. Also HD599 I liked a lot more than HD650 and 700.
I'm just an amateur listener who came across 7520. I would only wish their treble would be less sharp. I've also compared the sound between my SMSL M9 and AK380 on 7520. The latter sounded significantly darker and smoother, no detail difference was noticed. Thank you for reading.
If you have questions, I'm glad to answer.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #2,382 of 2,535
Hello, fellas. Here I am writing from Russia and I want to share my thoughts of these headphones. ...
I also have the senn HD598 which I adore too. Also HD599 I liked a lot more than HD650 and 700.
I'm just an amateur listener who came across 7520. I would only wish their treble would be less sharp. I've also compared the sound between my SMSL M9 and AK380 on 7520. The latter sounded significantly darker and smoother, no detail difference was noticed. Thank you for reading.
If you have questions, I'm glad to answer.

Welcome to head-fi! Good to know Moscow has a good headphone shop. You've heard the HD599, how much different is it from the HD598? The only one I've heard from the new series is the HD569, and it kept the 598 sound fairly well for a closed headphone and was pretty good though the bass didn't extend very well.

What kind of music are you listening to on your 7520?

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #2,383 of 2,535
Welcome to head-fi! Good to know Moscow has a good headphone shop. You've heard the HD599, how much different is it from the HD598? The only one I've heard from the new series is the HD569, and it kept the 598 sound fairly well for a closed headphone and was pretty good though the bass didn't extend very well.

What kind of music are you listening to on your 7520?
There are lots of music shops in Moscow, it's ok :)
The 598 has a very decent sound with pleasurable wide and close-to-ears soundstage. Its most problem (to my taste at least) is very transparent bass, and not as low and subby as I would like, especially after the 7520. In 599 they made the bass noticeably more robust, so and the sound more dark. Also the clamping force significantly increased, which is also good for comfort (it doesn't fall from head) and bass power. And I also like its design — finally pretty looking audiophile Sennheiser headphone which is really worth being showed to friends :p
I am absolutely sure this is the very best Sennheiser phone in terms of bang for the buck. And one of the best out there in general for the price.
I listen to utterly different music and this is the reason I love 7520 for its universality. Pop-music, disco, chillout, electronic, EDM, progressive psytrance, rock, metal, old rock (especially I adore Dire Straits as you may have noticed c: ) progressive rock and many others. For instance, the drum in "Epitaph" of King Crimson is adorably sounding. Of course it sounds very good on 598 either, but on 7520 the drum is really powerful, robust, dense, just fabulous, extremely detailed and realistic also. The treble is smoother on sony, as I always notice listening to different songs. Of course, closed-back headphones are always more fatiguing due to sound pressure (at least to me)
By the way, a lot of people complain about almost non-existent soundstage. I don't find it a problem at all, because the sound is extremely close to my ears and details are just shooting them. And if the soundstage was wider of deeper, rather the bass would be lessened. Anyway, 7520 are made for pop-music monitoring, and no one needs soundstage in it, or aren't I right? :wink:
And I may compare the 7520 to the headphone I find the most similar in sound. This is the ATH W1000X. It's got also very nice accentuated bass and (surprisingly) tiny soundstage. W1000X sounds more neutral and veiled, for some reason treble is a lot more realistic on a lot less expensive A700x, which is jaw-dropping phone when listening to Pink Floyd's "Coming Back To Life" guitar in the beginning. 7520 also provides extremely nice and detailed sounding guitar here, but a tiny bit unrealistic. That's not a problem at all though.
And also, your review of 7520/lcd2 is excellent, thanks so much.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #2,384 of 2,535
@Comrakoff

Thanks for your thoughts. I can say that after having owned these cans for about 4 years, I still very much enjoy them. Granted, I'm not a "collector" like many of you with many different cans to swap between, I only have these and my JH13FP CIEMs, but I did audition a ton of different cans before deciding on the 7520. And they just simply sound great. Highly detailed (the way I like it), with plenty of high quality bass and very pleasant mids, great for those fantastic guitar solos. The highs I don't find harsh or too strong, but my hearing is less than perfect these days, so take that with a grain of salt :) Not to mention, these cans have been used for hundreds and hundreds of hours, and I do believe that after a good amount of breaking-in any harshness that was there initially has disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back