SMSL M8A (ES9028Q2M)
May 6, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #62 of 298
Have been testing the M8A, so far I don't sound much of a difference between it and the D30.
It has the filters and so far I have only used fast and my RP-HD10's.

I'll test with the quad drivers tomorrow with some difficult jazz/classical songs.

Right now I am testing it with R&B, Rap, GoaPsy

Additionally the additional "heft" comes from a giant heatsync they built into the chassis in the M8A. Maybe it is to increase its lifetime as some people have complained of early failures on the M8 from overuse (it does get super hot and so far the M8A is cool to the touch).

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #63 of 298
Have been testing the M8A, so far I don't sound much of a difference between it and the D30.
It has the filters and so far I have only used fast and my RP-HD10's.

I'll test with the quad drivers tomorrow with some difficult jazz/classical songs.

Right now I am testing it with R&B, Rap, GoaPsy

Additionally the additional "heft" comes from a giant heatsync they built into the chassis in the M8A. Maybe it is to increase its lifetime as some people have complained of early failures on the M8 from overuse (it does get super hot and so far the M8A is cool to the touch).
Where's the bass?

May 7, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #64 of 298
Where's the bass?
What do you mean by that specifically?

So far the M8A is beautifully accurate & detailed and the filters just like one the M8 change the sound just a bit depending. Mini is the least obtrusive filter, but the unit stays mostly cool to the touch even now that its been left on for days.
I haven't tested it against the M8 yet but it is a bit smoother sounding than the D30 and maybe a tad bit brighter. Depending on the kind of music you listen to you might prefer the sound a bit over the D30 which has obviously a very flat sound.

I will be listening to it some more tonight especially with the quad drivers and some more intricate tracks where there is more detail. Even 90s rap doesn't have that much detail save a few tracks, the bass is great but that is only one component of sound reproduction. And as you may know vocals in rap are nothing special and most mainstream players are able to reproduce most tracks fine.

May 7, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #65 of 298
What do you mean by that specifically?

So far the M8A is beautifully accurate & detailed and the filters just like one the M8 change the sound just a bit depending. Mini is the least obtrusive filter, but the unit stays mostly cool to the touch even now that its been left on for days.
I haven't tested it against the M8 yet but it is a bit smoother sounding than the D30 and maybe a tad bit brighter. Depending on the kind of music you listen to you might prefer the sound a bit over the D30 which has obviously a very flat sound.

I will be listening to it some more tonight especially with the quad drivers and some more intricate tracks where there is more detail. Even 90s rap doesn't have that much detail save a few tracks, the bass is great but that is only one component of sound reproduction. And as you may know vocals in rap are nothing special and most mainstream players are able to reproduce most tracks fine.
The sound I care about is classical and jazz which also make great test material.

Audiophiles and probably headphiles love to describe sound in tonal balance. This of course is not a great idea since all of these devices likely measure flat. My pet peeve especially if then said phile thinks you should reEQ your system (driver levels on speakers or subs etc., not so much an issue with headphones.)

I'd much rather hear about timber, texture, perceived level of blackness. Bass certainly can sound very different. My current Avatar is a placette remote volume control that uses bulk foil resistors. When I put that in my system for another volume control it was like a bomb went off. Crazy dynamics. (Friend now calls my system "massive attack" from the change.) It still measures flat and the same likely, but conventional measurements probably don't pick up what is happening with the sound.

I think the M8A is out of the running for me. The Topping will do and I've enjoyed the testing. With the Topping I don't here critical changes going from 24/96 to DSD and other things. I hear them with the D30, but they are swamped by the difference in the analog stages. These are nice DACs, but for my all tube system they aren't a great match because they take away some of my purity I'm getting with my current setup. Its a giant difference that swamps HD digital format wars. That being said I do like some rock recordings on the Topping so I'll continue to play around and I have a feeling it will be a favorite for a number of those recordings.

I'm exceptionally pleased with the purchase experience and your recommendation. The money saved is likely going to a special tweaked out version of my current player. I'm cutting everything to 24/48 or 24/96 and putting it on regular old DVDs that will play in any DVD or bluray player etc. Its old school and I'd love to change, but I'm not confident that even an Oppo tricked out would beat my current "hotrodded" player. The budget is tight so I'm staying very cheap on digital. (LPs still rule, but while funds are tight HD digital has my full attention.)

May 8, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #66 of 298
The sound I care about is classical and jazz which also make great test material.

Audiophiles and probably headphiles love to describe sound in tonal balance. This of course is not a great idea since all of these devices likely measure flat. My pet peeve especially if then said phile thinks you should reEQ your system (driver levels on speakers or subs etc., not so much an issue with headphones.)

I'd much rather hear about timber, texture, perceived level of blackness. Bass certainly can sound very different. My current Avatar is a placette remote volume control that uses bulk foil resistors. When I put that in my system for another volume control it was like a bomb went off. Crazy dynamics. (Friend now calls my system "massive attack" from the change.) It still measures flat and the same likely, but conventional measurements probably don't pick up what is happening with the sound.

I think the M8A is out of the running for me. The Topping will do and I've enjoyed the testing. With the Topping I don't here critical changes going from 24/96 to DSD and other things. I hear them with the D30, but they are swamped by the difference in the analog stages. These are nice DACs, but for my all tube system they aren't a great match because they take away some of my purity I'm getting with my current setup. Its a giant difference that swamps HD digital format wars. That being said I do like some rock recordings on the Topping so I'll continue to play around and I have a feeling it will be a favorite for a number of those recordings.

I'm exceptionally pleased with the purchase experience and your recommendation. The money saved is likely going to a special tweaked out version of my current player. I'm cutting everything to 24/48 or 24/96 and putting it on regular old DVDs that will play in any DVD or bluray player etc. Its old school and I'd love to change, but I'm not confident that even an Oppo tricked out would beat my current "hotrodded" player. The budget is tight so I'm staying very cheap on digital. (LPs still rule, but while funds are tight HD digital has my full attention.)

I understand what you mean, as my initial findings show I hear no difference in timbre or blackness levels with the M8A vs the D30.

Overall the M8A sounds great, but then again so does the D30. Since DSD is something that really has limited offerings in the first place and both players can play DSD files and high level PCM I don't really see the reason to splash out the extra cash for the M8A. I can say though that the longevity problems with the M8 are most likely fixed since this unit runs so cool in comparison.
When I get more time I will do more side by side comparisons and eventually I'll test the M8/M8A/D30/Modi Multibit all side by side and make observations of each.

May 8, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #67 of 298
I understand what you mean, as my initial findings show I hear no difference in timbre or blackness levels with the M8A vs the D30.

Overall the M8A sounds great, but then again so does the D30. Since DSD is something that really has limited offerings in the first place and both players can play DSD files and high level PCM I don't really see the reason to splash out the extra cash for the M8A. I can say though that the longevity problems with the M8 are most likely fixed since this unit runs so cool in comparison.
When I get more time I will do more side by side comparisons and eventually I'll test the M8/M8A/D30/Modi Multibit all side by side and make observations of each.

Ah... the MassDrop ends in 11 hours !! I wish I had your thoughts in comparisons before committing to the massdrop.

I have been looking for an DAC to match with my Aune X7s amp. right now I am using two DACs

Schiit FULLA 2 : AKM AK4490 with TI OPA1662-based filter stage (My portable/work-place DAC)
Creative Sound Blaster X7: Burr-Brown PCM1794 (Home desktop DAC)

I am not really educated and just knowing the dac name and how great it is, or differences between them.

I have been thinking of getting the Modi Multibit (Mimby) but saw the M8A on MassDrop.

May 8, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #68 of 298
Ah... the MassDrop ends in 11 hours !! I wish I had your thoughts in comparisons before committing to the massdrop.

I have been looking for an DAC to match with my Aune X7s amp. right now I am using two DACs

Schiit FULLA 2 : AKM AK4490 with TI OPA1662-based filter stage (My portable/work-place DAC)
Creative Sound Blaster X7: Burr-Brown PCM1794 (Home desktop DAC)

I am not really educated and just knowing the dac name and how great it is, or differences between them.

I have been thinking of getting the Modi Multibit (Mimby) but saw the M8A on MassDrop.

The fulla2 is good with its line out, but the USB implementation isnt great at all. Personally I am going to sell mine because it has too many pops with my laptop.
I am still doing some testing right now but overall its really hard to recommend it for $150 more than the D30. Maybe if you get it for a good price on MassDrop like I did (but remember everything on massdrop has no warranties).

I'm about to grab the quad drivers and listen to some classical and jazz, so ill make another post in a couple hours.

By this time I don't have much expectation so if it exceeds it then I will surely make a note of it.

May 12, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #69 of 298
Alright so overall I would say its not worth it at this point. IT has some bugs to work out, if you change the source type for example from USB it actually disconnects from the computer and will not reconnect properly unless you power cycle the device.
I've also had it bug out one time when changing the filter modes.
Otherwise it runs very cool and is a viable alternative to the M8.
I haven't done any side by side testing with the M8 yet but its the same sound signature

In another week or two I should be finished unpacking my new house and be able to setup all the DAC's for side by side comparisons.

Up to this point all testing has been done via USB, I haven't tried any of the other inputs.

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #70 of 298
Dear all ,
I got a SMSL M8A . I got the driver from Shenzenaudio web side but when i try to install to my windows7 , its getting failed.
Is there anybody who can help me . It may certificate problem but i cant find a proper solution.
Will wait any reply.
Thanks

Jun 8, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #71 of 298
Dear all ,
I got a SMSL M8A . I got the driver from Shenzenaudio web side but when i try to install to my windows7 , its getting failed.
Is there anybody who can help me . It may certificate problem but i cant find a proper solution.
Will wait any reply.
Thanks

Is there an error message? Are you running with administrative rights?

Jun 8, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #72 of 298
Is there an error message? Are you running with administrative rights?
yes i runned the driver installation with admin rights. Its seems got installed but when i plug the usb again , its checking windows drievers update and trying to complate the installation but giving failed message.
And saying that contact with the manufacturer.

Jun 8, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #73 of 298
In computer management check the event log for error messages, check the device list to see if it's there. If there uninstall (using the uninstall in C:\Program Files\SMSL\SMSL_Audio_Driver), reboot and re-install

Jun 8, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #74 of 298
In computer management check the event log for error messages, check the device list to see if it's there. If there uninstall (using the uninstall in C:\Program Files\SMSL\SMSL_Audio_Driver), reboot and re-install
When ii am rebooting my computure i open boot management and chose installation uncertified program forcement ... and installation has been done after that...

Now i should find a correct info to adjust foobar2000 cause no sound to me amplifier at the moment ( i chose out but usb dac also but no sound for DSD )

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #75 of 298
When ii am rebooting my computure i open boot management and chose installation uncertified program forcement ... and installation has been done after that...

Now i should find a correct info to adjust foobar2000 cause no sound to me amplifier at the moment ( i chose out but usb dac also but no sound for DSD )

There are settings to use with USB.
But you said you got the driver installed now right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back