Shure SE535 - Harsh Treble?
Jul 9, 2017 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

squee116

500+ Head-Fier
I recently got in a pair of used SE535's, and it took some time to find some tips that fit, although that was an ordeal in of itself (using different sized tips for left and right ear).

Even the small foam tip has a hard time fitting in my right ear, and feels really uncomfortable. I'm coming from Dunu Titan 1's, using the Sony-esque tips, which don't cause this discomfort.

Anyhow, I'm definitely noticing more detail resolution, and articulate bass, but the upper-mids and treble are just incredibly uncomfortable. I listen to a lot of ska, and pretty much all brass instruments are so sharp, I physically cringe when they appear on a recording. Is this a common theme among the models? I was under the impression the 535's were supposed to be warm, which is why I picked them up...

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 18
Sounds like you aren't getting a good seal. so you might have to play around with other tips. One of the critiques of the SE535 was that the treble could be a bit rolled off (they were very mid-forward and quiet lush). If you are hearing treble peakiness and harshness, its usually a sign of an improper seal.

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 18
I tried literally all the tips in the pack, and the only ones I could get to stay in was the smallest foam. Even that one comes loose easily, the rest would just have the right side just falling out...

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 18
Yes - so you need to get and try some other tips until you can achieve a seal.

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 18
What would you recommend? Will the Sony hybrid tips fit the Shure?

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 18
Unfortunately I sold my 535s a long time ago. I'd consider Comply which has softer foam than the Olives. If you look on the Comply website, you should get an idea of which bore width will work

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 18
Comply 100 series fit, getting a good deal is very important otherwise you lose bass as you have discovered.

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 18
I've got a mixed set of the comfort and sports on their way. I'll let you guys know if it helped. Thanks for the advice.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 18
Sorry for straight words, dunu titan is crapp compare to 535, so just belive your own 535.
I think that you are not yet familiar with wearing iem with the wire roll on your helix and leak/not good seal comes from that.
Bend the "memory wire" to close as posible to your helix shape.
Then try with various ear tips comes in pack. I belive most of people can get a suitable one pair from those (before they find something better but stocks pair is good enough).
Can try tenderly press on 535 body to verify how the sound is, bcs it improve leakage

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 18
I hope you re wearing them cable up. I'd try the foams that came with them. Try the next size up, squeeze them before insertion and don't be shy about pushing them in as deep as you can. In a minute, they'll expand back and make a seal. I slightly preferred the se530 because the 535 was a touch warmer overall, Nothing bright about the 535 when sealed. The 530 nozzle angle or the overall shape was also a touch better for me but not really an issue with either.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 18
Sorry for straight words, dunu titan is crapp compare to 535, so just belive your own 535.
I think that you are not yet familiar with wearing iem with the wire roll on your helix and leak/not good seal comes from that.
Bend the "memory wire" to close as posible to your helix shape.
Then try with various ear tips comes in pack. I belive most of people can get a suitable one pair from those (before they find something better but stocks pair is good enough).
Can try tenderly press on 535 body to verify how the sound is, bcs it improve leakage

Yup, I was rolling the foam tips already, still had the issue. I disagree about the titan's. Their detail retrieval and transient response isn't as good, but their sound stage and presentation are pretty darn good. Another reason of why I'm not a fan of blanket statements about x product being objectively better than y. Listening is personal.

Also, no, I didn't find a comfortable pair of tips in the bag. The comply 100's mentioned earlier are much more comfy and provide a much better seal in my ears.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 18
I hope you re wearing them cable up. I'd try the foams that came with them. Try the next size up, squeeze them before insertion and don't be shy about pushing them in as deep as you can. In a minute, they'll expand back and make a seal. I slightly preferred the se530 because the 535 was a touch warmer overall, Nothing bright about the 535 when sealed. The 530 nozzle angle or the overall shape was also a touch better for me but not really an issue with either.

This was a big help. I did NOT know they were supposed to be cable up. I'm still have a bit of an issue, in that the right ear is staying cable up, but the left ear foam is secure, but the actual driver is rotating cable down constantly. I can get it to stay for about 10 min. at a time.

I'm still noticing a spike somewhere in the treble. High pitched guitar notes, woodwinds, and brass seem to highlight it, but it also isn't fatiguing me, or forcing me to brace myself anymore. Between the Complys and the cable up, it's cleaned up immensely well.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 18
I basically have to add an extra step for secure fit. If I don't hold the Shure's in place after rolling the time and inserting deep, they come loose over time. If I hold them in place while the foam expands, they stay pretty snug for longer.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 18
To my ears Shure iems have a hard lower treble no upper treble, even with the SE215 dynamic. This is why me and Shure iems don't get on.

I've tried them all except KSE1500
I agree. That's what I disliked about the SE535 and the SE846. Shure treble is not my cup of tea. I'm a treble head. That area is very important for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back