Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 11, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #3,466 of 4,141
It seems like more expensive the phones get, the more natural/clear/clean the sound. I read a post on one of the threads about the lack of "fun tuning" on higher end 'phones and whether that was a good thing or not. I am far from an audiophile, but the PM3'S make me smile and the SR325E make me grin.
The HD600, HD650 and Audeze are no doubt accurate, smooth and clean. But while admiring the "clean" sound, they never made me smile.

However since the price was cheap I decided to give them a shot because of the legendary reputation.

It will be interesting to see which pair are my "go to" 'phones in 2018.

Shane D
same here, beer and Patron make me laugh and giggle, and Cristal and XO don't =P

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #3,472 of 4,141
Hello I've got a question since I don't have much time to browse entire thread I gotta act really quick before massdrop ends :) Can anyone tell what's the difference between HD650 and HD598? Yesterday I got H598 for 100$ on amazon prime day. Now I see there's a massdrop available for 650, which would cost me 215$. Do you think it's worth paying double for HD650? Also how's the paint job on massdrop HD6XX release is it as durable as standard HD650?
Another question - still don't have any amps so will HD650 be any good plugged straight to PC motherboard or laptop?

thank you :)

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #3,473 of 4,141
Hello I've got a question since I don't have much time to browse entire thread I gotta act really quick before massdrop ends :) Can anyone tell what's the difference between HD650 and HD598? Yesterday I got H598 for 100$ on amazon prime day. Now I see there's a massdrop available for 650, which would cost me 215$. Do you think it's worth paying double for HD650? Also how's the paint job on massdrop HD6XX release is it as durable as standard HD650?
Another question - still don't have any amps so will HD650 be any good plugged straight to PC motherboard or laptop?

The 6xx is amp dependent; you'll need an amp to drive the can. IMO, if your not gonna get an amp but using the HP straight from PC, I suggest that you stick with 598. However, you can never go wrong with the 650/6xx because when you have proper amp, the sound is superior than 598. Plus, the signature of those two cans are different. The 598 is natural sounding HP with larger soundstage but the 6xx/650 is more engaging, laidback with smaller soundstage.

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #3,474 of 4,141
Hello I've got a question ...........

First off IMHO the 650/6xx’s are a much more robust better built phone overall with higher quality parts and more sophisticated (higher end) sound, the 598 is definitely easier to drive but also easier to overload to distortion, especially the highs. The Sixes also have a denser sound with better controlled deeper base but also more detail and while the 598s sound fine off a Smartphone or laptop the 650s scale much higher given a quality amp and source….so room to grow….there’s a reason they are so highly regarded.

If you are planning on just sticking to your current setup and if you're on a budget the 598s might be fine but the 6XX's at $199 are a steal and with their more utilitarian finish are most likely not to incur any annoying chips and hold up fairly well to be thrown into a back pack over it’s shinier brother.

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #3,475 of 4,141
email from Massdrop:
Thanks to an incredible response from the community, we’ve been able to secure more Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX headphones! We’re adding 10,000 serialized units (that makes 21,500 total units in the second run) for $199.99 with free US shipping and $15 international shipping. This drop will be live until July 30 or until we sell out.

Sweet lord, they are making it VERY hard for me not to buy a second pair. :cold_sweat:

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #3,478 of 4,141
It seems like more expensive the phones get, the more natural/clear/clean the sound. I read a post on one of the threads about the lack of "fun tuning" on higher end 'phones and whether that was a good thing or not. I am far from an audiophile, but the PM3'S make me smile and the SR325E make me grin.
The HD600, HD650 and Audeze are no doubt accurate, smooth and clean. But while admiring the "clean" sound, they never made me smile.

However since the price was cheap I decided to give them a shot because of the legendary reputation.

It will be interesting to see which pair are my "go to" 'phones in 2018.

Shane D

I am also far from an audiophile, but the Nighthawks make me both smile and grin. Which is the only thing keeping me from jumping on the HD6XX's. But for the price, it's so very tempting..

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #3,480 of 4,141
Thanks for all your advices really appreciate it and decided to plunge in a massdrop deal :)

What do U guys suggest as a first decent yet most affordable amp with these?

Schiit stack, Audio-GD NFB11, Aune stack, JDS stack/element.
Cheaper ones would be SMSL and Topping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back