SD card for Ipod Mod that sounds like HDD, no joke
Jul 2, 2017 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

moby1974

100+ Head-Fier
Hi
Ok, I know, how is it possible HDD sounds better, thats what I thought.

I tried a fully modded Ipod classic 5.5, then tried my normal 5.5, I used Westone W40 IEMs and was able to tell the difference.

Even my wife did a blind test with me and I pick my Ipod every single time, it was not night and day difference, but the low end and small amount of detail stood out over the same music on the modded Ipod with SD. (bit warmer, range in low end slightly expanded)

After looking online I found others who noticed this if using good IEMs, one guy even noticed a slight difference in SDs, again I dont see how its possible, but after my experience, I believe him/them.

I dont know what brand of card was in the modded Ipod I tried, maybe cheap and cheerful? but I wonder if anyone has noticed this and if there is a SDHC/SDXC card that sounds like a HDD.

Total long shot I know :)

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 3
In the life of an iPod Classic user, sooner or later, the day may come when his plastic-metal friend suddenly gets sad. According to Apple, it is likely that the iPod Classic's built-in storage unit has given up its life. A friend of mine in a similar situation turned to SalvageData for data recovery services. Another solution to such a situation is to replace the hard drive with a memory card. The memory card will not only "revive" the old iPod but also increase the battery life of the gadget by up to half because the power consumption of the Compact Flash card is much lower than that of a traditional hard drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back