Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 28, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #4,996 of 12,372

thanks. i did see your initial response and have taken it to heart. but you were the only one to reply, i was hoping i'd get a couple more responses.

but it looks like that won't happen, so i went ahead and ordered it, partly based on your recommendation. the 15-day return period makes it an easy decision. i will begin the burn in process the moment i receive it, and do some decision-making listening on those final few days.

thanks Velomane.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #4,998 of 12,372
The whole argument of what input sounds best on the Yggdrasil is a tad silly IMO. Truth is they all sound pretty darn good. Any differences are mostly subtle - even USB sounds not as bad as some would have you believe.
Agreed. My theory of USB complaints is that they are 90% the result of bad source quality or bad configuration: super-noisy general-purpose computer USB ports, ground loops, current leakage, USB cables that the cat used to play with, incorrect software configuration that is sending precious lossless bits through some crappy computer software DSP, and the like. Once all of that is out of the way, the last 10% are real, and have mainly to do with the difficult-to-filter electrical interference between USB sources and receivers on the one hand and very sensitive D2A circuitry on the other. Having said this, and lived pretty happily for quite a while with good USB sources feeding Schiit multibit DACs: a good USB>AES DDC makes a positive difference to how my Yggy-based system sounds. Given the total cost of my Yggy-based system, spending 5-10% more on getting AES does not feel absurd.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #4,999 of 12,372
I've connected a Gustard U12 to my Yggdrasil via AES and it does sound very good. I never had a problem with just going straight to USB though. I'm using Belkin Gold USB cables. I came under the impression a long time ago that USB cables with good shielding and larger data conductors than power conductors are the best sounding. So a 24/28 awg cable sounds better than a 28/24 awg usb cable. Belkin Gold USBs have very large data conductors 20/28 awg, and they sound better than my more expensive Kimber Kable Silver and Audio Quest Carbon cables I tried in the past.

Anyway I wanted to come here to state this experience. I avoided Schiit for a little while after owning the Gungnir and getting completely upset about how it performed with my Onkyo C-7030 CD player. It would continuously click rapidly when I paused it. And it seemed to lose its sample rate lock on when I skipped through tracks. I found that unacceptable for a $1200 DAC regardless of its design. And Schiit just saying get a better CD transport just made it worse for me. However even though the Yggdrasil makes this same warning in the manual, I want to point out that the Yggdrasil doesn't have any issues with clicking with the same CD player. I thought the Yggdrasil has the same mechanical relay design and the Gungnir? or was my Gungnir not functioning properly to begin with?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #5,000 of 12,372
Anyway I wanted to come here to state this experience. I avoided Schiit for a little while after owning the Gungnir and getting completely upset about how it performed with my Onkyo C-7030 CD player. It would continuously click rapidly when I paused it. And it seemed to lose its sample rate lock on when I skipped through tracks. I found that unacceptable for a $1200 DAC regardless of its design. And Schiit just saying get a better CD transport just made it worse for me. However even though the Yggdrasil makes this same warning in the manual, I want to point out that the Yggdrasil doesn't have any issues with clicking with the same CD player. I thought the Yggdrasil has the same mechanical relay design and the Gungnir? or was my Gungnir not functioning properly to begin with?

I remember when you posted that, and I tried to reply (my message was lost in the other responses) I had the identical experience. Yggy in one room and Gumby in another. I had two Toshiba SD9200 transports at the time. Identical behavior as what you describe. Yggy locks into the signal much more quickly, and I do not to this day understand the reason why.

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #5,003 of 12,372
My brand new Yggy arrived, I hooked it up, and straight out of the box my mind is blown.
If it only gets better from here then this weekend is going to be good.

Congrats on your new Yggy! It will only get better as the hours pile up....figure 200-300 hours at a minimum to hear some good sweetness!

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #5,004 of 12,372
My brother in law hates me because I have 2 Yggys and he has none. So mission accomplished!
Or maybe it's just because I am obnoxious...
Was wondering how many of you use the phase button on your Yggy.
Seems like a bit of trouble to A/B the phase for every recording you play.
To me one phase will maybe sound slightly more focused than the other.
I think it is probably the same difference as listening from the front vs the back of my electrostat speakers.
Anyone have an opinion on the practical utility of the phase button?
Doubt I'll ever do more than just leave it in the normal setting.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #5,005 of 12,372
2 Yggy's??? Is that even legal???
Good Luck getting to B-I-L to you another CD or digital download!:ksc75smile:

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #5,006 of 12,372
My brand new Yggy arrived, I hooked it up, and straight out of the box my mind is blown.
If it only gets better from here then this weekend is going to be good.

Just remember...don't turn it off...ever. It takes a while to open up each time it's cooled down. Like hours.

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #5,007 of 12,372
My brother in law hates me because I have 2 Yggys and he has none. So mission accomplished!
Or maybe it's just because I am obnoxious...
Was wondering how many of you use the phase button on your Yggy.
Seems like a bit of trouble to A/B the phase for every recording you play.
To me one phase will maybe sound slightly more focused than the other.
I think it is probably the same difference as listening from the front vs the back of my electrostat speakers.
Anyone have an opinion on the practical utility of the phase button?
Doubt I'll ever do more than just leave it in the normal setting.

I've tried the phase button and on some songs, I hear a subtle difference, but on others I hear nothing. So I just leave it on Normal.

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #5,008 of 12,372
I'm on about 450 hours with the yggy. It is so good it often brings tears to my eyes. Friggin' thing is amazing.
So many layers of previously unmined music presented so magically. I must be in heaven.

Apr 30, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #5,009 of 12,372
Nice to read Mr Foobar....Glad you're enjoying the new box! I hope they got cold beers up there....

Apr 30, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #5,010 of 12,372
Just remember...don't turn it off...ever. It takes a while to open up each time it's cooled down. Like hours.

I'm definitely doing that, especially since Schiit themselves recommend it in the manual - twice.
I won't constantly burn it in over night or anything like that though, I'll just let that happen naturally while using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back