Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 25, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #4,981 of 12,319
  ok... 

i just purchased a Topaz 91095-32 Ultra Isolator Line Noise Suppressor​ rated @ 500 VA and capacitance of .0005pF.

Am I to plug just my audio gear into it (Yggy included...wanted to stay on topic) and computer into a different power source, or does everything plug into the same power source?

this (I promise honey, honest) will be the last tweak for my main system as there aint nothing left to tweak (I think)

I would say try both the options and trust me that you will regret some of your past tweaks after hearing the difference :).

I would prefer two separate transformers - you can buy a smaller and less expensive one for computer and other stuffs and keep Topaz for Yggy.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #4,982 of 12,319

I would say try both the options and trust me that you will regret some of your past tweaks after hearing the difference :).

I would prefer two separate transformers - you can buy a smaller and less expensive one for computer and other stuffs and keep Topaz for Yggy.

​I really haven't gone overboard on the tweaks. I have an I-Fi micro USB3.0 from my computer to a Gustard U12 and then AES into Yggy. I am getting an KTE SU-1 to replace the Gustard, but that wont arrive till later this week or early next (about the same time the isolator arrives)

I do use well made and isolated cables, but not ridiculously expensive. I figured that an isolation circuit would provide benefit, but really didn't pull the trigger until I read enough positives to go that route.

thanks for the advice. I will give an update when I get everything in place and all is working properly

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #4,983 of 12,319

​I really haven't gone overboard on the tweaks. I have an I-Fi micro USB3.0 from my computer to a Gustard U12 and then AES into Yggy. I am getting an KTE SU-1 to replace the Gustard, but that wont arrive till later this week or early next (about the same time the isolator arrives)

I do use well made and isolated cables, but not ridiculously expensive. I figured that an isolation circuit would provide benefit, but really didn't pull the trigger until I read enough positives to go that route.

thanks for the advice. I will give an update when I get everything in place and all is working properly

What do you think about the Gustard U12? Its the most affordable USB to AES converter I can find.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #4,984 of 12,319
Hey guys my yggy's at about 300 hours and sounding great. Right now I'm just running a coax cable (rca) from my PC sound card directly to the coax in on the yggy. No complaints at all on the sound. But seeing that I am a complete tech idiot, would something like this buy me anything SQ-wise...allowing me to use the AES in on the yggy? Or is this just throwing my money away?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...pi=1876,{creative},{keyword}&is=REG&A=details

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #4,985 of 12,319
You guys are sick of me by now... haha... but my 2nd Yggy sounds awesome after only 48 hours. It's in a better system but still, makes me wonder if the 1st Yggy I got used needs a tune up or something. If the new one keeps getting better as expected, it'll be pretty spectacular by next week! Thinking of sending the old one in for a check up.

BTW, new site is a great improvement.
+1 on the new site!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #4,986 of 12,319
Hey guys my yggy's at about 300 hours and sounding great. Right now I'm just running a coax cable (rca) from my PC sound card directly to the coax in on the yggy. No complaints at all on the sound. But seeing that I am a complete tech idiot, would something like this buy me anything SQ-wise...allowing me to use the AES in on the yggy?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...pi=1876,{creative},{keyword}&is=REG&A=details

Hi Guys

Was thinking about Bob Harley's review of the Yggy where he said he waited a full month (with power? with signal?)before seriously evaluating it.

My question is for you Yggy owners who feel their unit is fully broken in: how many 'powered up' hours and how many of those were ' with a signal' before final break in?

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #4,988 of 12,319
Today I received the second hand Yggdrasil I bought.
Unfortunately the wrapping was sub-par and as soon as I got it out of the box, I noticed that there was much rattling happening on the inside of the device.
Obviously I was heart-broken, but the seller is willing to give me back my money.
I didn't try it, because I feel like my experience would have been tainted.

Anyways, after I got in touch with Schiit I got told that they had Yggys in stock in the UK (Mark is one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with) and my Fiancée decided to front me the Yggdrasil money, until I'd get the money for the second hand unit back (I have done similar things for her in the past, but it's still great feeling when you constantly get reminded that you're marrying your best friend).
I went from over the moon to severely disappointed back to ecstatic in the span of a couple of hours.

And now I'm back to: I can't wait!

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #4,989 of 12,319
Alu,

I am sorry about the bad experience but I am glad it worked out for the best in the end. You get the 5 year warranty this way and you will not be disappointed in the sound quality you will get!

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #4,990 of 12,319
i have a couple dumb questions about the Yggy. apologies in advance!

1 - i currently use a Moon Neo 430HAD (with the DAC). would the Yggy be a noticeable upgrade from the DAC used in my current amp? worth the cost?

2 - unfortunately a lot of my iTunes library is in either 320kbps MPEG or 256kbps AAC. i know the Yggy is designed to bring out the best in CD quality sound, but how about this trash? will the Yggy make these files easier/better to listen to? or will it bring out their sub-par quality?

thanks

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #4,991 of 12,319
All of my Red book-based content, including lossy 256Kbps AAC files and 320Kbps MPEG files, sound incredibly good with Yggdrasil.

I have no idea how Yggdrasil compares to the DAC add on for your amplifier so I have no useful input there.

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #4,992 of 12,319
Apr 27, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #4,993 of 12,319
Apr 28, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #4,994 of 12,319
So no opinions on whether this might be a decent alternative to my current PC soundcard coax to yggy coax? It would allow me to use the yggy AES input. Any thoughts appreciated.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=395533&gclid=CJvNn-36v9MCFQ2UaQodm2IG2Q&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,{creative},{keyword}&is=REG&A=details

I personally wouldn't bother with a converter like that unless it has some real benefit like re-clocking the signal etc.
You can try it and see what you think of it - there's certainly no harm in doing so, but if you're expecting a significant sonic difference between using COAX S/PDIF vs. AES/EBU inputs on the Yggy.... Well the differences aren't really that big. You'd probably hear more of a difference by trying out different COAX S/PDIF cables.

The whole argument of what input sounds best on the Yggdrasil is a tad silly IMO. Truth is they all sound pretty darn good. Any differences are mostly subtle - even USB sounds not as bad as some would have you believe.

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #4,995 of 12,319
Hopefully the Eitr will come along before the Fall and it will be a game changer like everything else Schiit makes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back