Schiit Magni 2 Uber vs Vali 2
Feb 6, 2016 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Wrimel

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I'm just gonna make a new thread because i need to know what i have to buy until tomorrow.

I have a Sennheiser HD 650 and will be buying the Schiit Modi 2 Uber.
My resources are my PC, Ps4 and maybe a Laptop/Chromebook IF i decide to buy one.

I now have to choose between the Schhit Magni 2 and the Vali 2.
I mainly listen to Hans Zimmer, Epic Music, Trap and the Charts. I also play a lot of Video games and watch a lot of Netflix.

I have never ever had an AMP of any sort so this is new territory for me. I don't know if i like the Tube-Sound.

Hope someone can help me with this.

Also, if someone can answer me this it would be nice: My HD 650s are currently plugged straight into my PC and i just did a Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade and left it plugged in while my PC was turned off. I have read somewhere that i should unplug my Headphones from my PC if i turn it off, is this correct and did i do something wrong? It was plugged in while Windows was installing and i plugged it out when Windows 10 was booting. This may sound paranoid but oh what, just wanna make sure im on the right site.

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 25
Vali 2 is better for high impedance headphones like the HD 650. BTW, if you don't have an external DAC, either amp won't make a difference in Sound Quality. Buy the Magni 2 Uber and Vali 2 to see a real improvement in sound

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 25
  Vali 2 is better for high impedance headphones like the HD 650. BTW, if you don't have an external DAC, either amp won't make a difference in Sound Quality. Buy the Magni 2 Uber and Vali 2 to see a real improvement in sound

It makes more power at lower impedance than high impedance, and 2dB gain isn't bad (though I'm not sure how that works with IEMs) for most headphones. Granted, if it is a problem, it will be with headphones that need higher gain but have much lower than 40ohms nominal impedance, as you get too far off the 8:1 ratio. Basically, K7-- won't have problems, but the HE400 might, but of course check the math or at least feedback as 2dB gain might be enough anyway. 

With the HD650, even the 2dB gain is likely enough given the sensitivity, but in case the high gain setting is needed, there won't be any issues with the shift in output impedance.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 25
The real question though is should he really start with tubes if he's never had a solid state or any experience with tubes I mean to be fair tube rolling isn't necessarily cheap and for someone new to the amp game I don't think it would be in his best interest. Unless their is something massively different about the Vali 2 compared to your traditional tube.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenophix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The real question though is should he really start with tubes if he's never had a solid state or any experience with tubes I mean to be fair tube rolling isn't necessarily cheap and for someone new to the amp game I don't think it would be in his best interest. Unless their is something massively different about the Vali 2 compared to your traditional tube.

Having a tube amp means one can roll tubes, but can or having the option to is not the same as must or have to. Basically, he can just use it as it is, and then just replace the tubes when they conk out. Still easier to pull that out than to desolder and solder on chips when they short, but this is a hybrid so he has to deal with both if he keeps it long enough.

Also if it's anything like the Valhalla then the Vali isn't going to be too stereotypically tubey either. As much as Schiit uses the "smokey jazz lounge" analogy, the Valhalla isn't like the Little Dot MkII for example that basically makes Norah Jones sound like she need to clear her sinus first. The Vali2  as I reckon from reviews puts it a bit closer to the Valhalla than the MkII.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 25
I just want to experience how great sound can be. And i think i have the right equipment for this... i just can't decide between the Magni 2 Uber and the Vali 2. Another problem is, i'd have to wait 1-2 weeks for the Vali 2 to ship. The Modi2U/Magni2U will be here Tuesday.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 25
I just want to experience how great sound can be. And i think i have the right equipment for this... i just can't decide between the Magni 2 Uber and the Vali 2. Another problem is, i'd have to wait 1-2 weeks for the Vali 2 to ship. The Modi2U/Magni2U will be here Tuesday.

That's really up to you - normally I'd say make a choice depending on whether one might have issues with driving what headphone you have, but in this case neither will have clear issues than the other.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 25
That's really up to you - normally I'd say make a choice depending on whether one might have issues with driving what headphone you have, but in this case neither will have clear issues than the other.

What would the vali 2 do sound quality-wise? Would it be better than the magni 2 uber? I've read that tubes can also sound worse.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 25
I'd go with them in this order (not implying better or worse though)

Project Polaris + Asus DGX DAC > Project Starlight + DAC > O2/ODAC > Schiit Vali 2 + Asus DGX DAC > Schiit Magni 2 Uber + Asus DGX DAC

The Asus DAC may or may not help depending on your current motherboard DAC. But it will just cost USD 25 or so.

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

What would the vali 2 do sound quality-wise? Would it be better than the magni 2 uber? I've read that tubes can also sound worse.

In most cases when tube designs get distortion it's to the warmer side, while some solid state designs go the other way. The challenge really is to get a tube amp to work in such a way that for the most part it stays below audible distortion, and then when it does get audible distortion, it's warmer, so that loud cymbal crash won't be as ear shattering as it would be on an amp whose distortion patterns go the other way.

Schiit are generally neutral amps, so without pushing the Magni2 and Vali2 into audible distortion levels (note the latter will hit that threshold sooner), you could potentially have enough room to get loud enough on either before it gets easy to pick out which amp is which.

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Wrong. Tube/Hybrid amps have euphoric distortion even without clipping. They will be different regardless of the volume,of course not hugely, but audibly.

I never said you have to get it to clipping to get euphonic distortion, and to begin with audible distortion, euphonic or not, tends to kick in a lot sooner than clipping on most material out there. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #14 of 25
Wow, this is all new territory for me and i just decided to go with the Magni 2 Uber. I mean, i can still buy the Vali 2 sometime later this year and see if i like it. Hope i made the right decision and thank you all for the replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back