Schiit Bifrost Multibit or Nuforce DAC-80? Need a second opinion.
May 21, 2017 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ajreynol

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. Per the thread title, I'm trying to decide between the Bifrost and the DAC-80. I've only heard the DAC-80 and am in the process of exchanging one that I just got due to some hardware issues that were causing bluescreens on my otherwise 100% stable computer. Since I'll be returning the DAC-80 and buying a new one, I figured maybe I should have a second look at DACs in the price range.

I've not heard the Bifrost but I do have Lyr 2 and have had a great experience with it. I can also say that when the DAC-80 wasn't blue screening, it was a fantastic compliment and a great upgrade from my aging Nuforce Icon HDP which was my daily driver for years.

As such I thought I'd ask the Head-Fi crowd for any experiences or insights that might help me compare them. The Bifrost would cost me about $250 more (so quite a bit more, actually), but I wouldn't consider it a big deal if the sound is considerably better. And I do like the idea behind its modular design. It's just...really hard when you can't hear these pieces of equipment for yourself, and if the sound is only slightly better/different, I'd rather keep my $250 or so in my pocket you know?

Anyway, any insight here that can help arrest my paralysis of analysis would be greatly appreciated.

May 21, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 3
As an owner of the Bifrost Multibit, I'd say if you prefer a more forward human voice with most of the instruments are a bit laid back, you'll like it. Bifrost Multibit imaging always put vocals upfront and center while the instruments are floating around the voices, sort of how you are standing on the 4th row of stage of the band rather upfront.

May 21, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 3
Interesting. Thanks for the insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back