Review: T-PEOS D-200 Dynamic driver budget IEM
Feb 7, 2013 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
T-PEOS D-200 review:

I would like to thank T-PEOS for sending me this sample for review, I will write as honest a review possible. These received more than 50hrs burn-in before reviewing, minor changes were noted.

Gear used:
IPod Classic 160gb (rockboxed) > T-PEOS D200

Packaging, accessories and build quality:
Packaging is an attractive white box with a picture of the IEM's on the front, a window opens to reveal the IEM's and included silicone tips. The IEM's are held in a plastic insert which slides out from the bottom of the box. Very simple but effective packaging, and quite attractive.

Accessories included are only silicone tips, S, M (pre installed) and L, they also kindly sent me some M foam tips, but I couldn't get a good fit with those, I used the S silicone tips. Missing is a carry pouch, which is a needed accessory for all headphones.

Build quality is excellent for the price, metal housings, flat cable which feels strong and has good strain relief on the jack and housing, although a little too stiff. The microphone and button work fine for iOS devices and feel well built. I am impressed by the build quality, especially the finish of the housings.

Comfort, isolation, driver flex and Microphonics:
Comfort is good, these are shallow insertion IEM's, and fit comfortably and securely, no problems here.

Isolation is average for shallow insertion IEM's, fine for most general usage.

Driver flex is present but no really badly, so it doesn't present a big problem.

Microphonics tend to be worse with flat cables, compared to the beyerdynamic XP series which was terrible these fair pretty well but microphonics are still present, but these are easy to wear with the cable over your ear, which pretty much eliminates the microphonics.

Sound:
Split into the usual categories

Lows: the lows are the first thing to notice when using these, big punch with good extension but sub-bass is only just audible at normal listening levels. These are more about the punch rather than the rumble. Luckily the bass is fairly well controlled, it is not the tightest but it doesn't bleed a lot into the mids, which is great.
The lows are excellent for electronica, hip-hop and rap, along with acoustic and slower rock, the bass isn't very fast in attack so it struggles to keep up with metal, but is very articulate on slower recordings.

Mids: with all that bass I was half-expecting the mids to be quite recessed, but that is not the case, sitting her listening to The Scene Aesthetic the vocals come forward and sound very smooth, with good detail and are not affected by the lows. Female vocals are also a pleasure to listen to, and in most tracks the mids are well separated from the lows, only being pushed a little behind on more complex passages. Electric guitars don't quite have the crunch and power needed, but these are geared for the normal consumer, and for that purpose and price I really cannot fault the mids, very articulate and smooth with good presence.

Highs: well colour me impressed again, I really wasn't expecting much from these, but here we are with another great budget IEM, the highs complete the sound, at this price I am not expecting the most detailed highs, which is true, these don't have the most detailed or well defined highs, but they don't lack presence are never bright and just complete the sound. They may roll-off a little early and sound a bit grainy, but you can hear every tap and cymbal crash. Compared to the Dunu Trident, the highs are a lot better, as I found the Dunu to be a little too smooth, these are fun to listen to as you get a bit of everything.

Soundstage, instrument separation and imaging:
Soundstage is actually quite large, and it is fairly easy to pinpoint most instruments, although these do become a little congested on faster tracks.

Instrument separation on slower tracks is good, nothing spectacular as these has quite a full bodied thick presentation which doesn't leave much space between everything.

Imaging is equally good, never feeling detached, but also nothing spectacular or super accurate.

Conclusion:
Well for the price I may have found a new favourite, yes these have a little too much bass for me, but it is all in good measure, I won't call these balanced as they are not, I would say a very mild U shaped signature. But where there is a fun amount of bass, the mids still cut through with authority and the highs still just manage to shimmer. Add excellent build quality and comfort along with a price tag of just $25 and you destroy most other budget IEM's out there.

Thank you for reading, comments are welcome.

Tracks Used:
Skrillex – First Of The Year (Equinox) (320kbps MP3)
Paramore – Franklin (320kbps MP3)
Diana Krall – The Girl In The Other Room (FLAC)
Deolinda – Passou Por Mim E Sorriu (live) (ALAC)
Suicide Silence – Unanswered (FLAC)
Massive Attack – Angel (ALAC)
Eat Static – Dzhopa Dream (ALAC)
The XX – Crystalised (FLAC)
Funeral For A Friend – Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (ALAC)
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man (FLAC)
The Scene Aesthetic – Humans (259kbps MP3)
A Hero A Fake – Swallowed By The Sea (254kbps MP3)
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Spring Allegro (ALAC)

Johnny Craig – Children Of Divorce (161kbps MP3)
Deadmau5 + Kaskade – I Remember (Caspa Remix) (320kbps MP3)
Black Uhuru – Utterance (ALAC)

We Are The In Crowd – Never Be What You Want (226kbps MP3)
Silverstein – Discovering The Waterfront (320kbps MP3)
Concept Of Thought – Our Thought (FLAC)
Nirvana – Something In The Way (Unplugged) (ALAC)

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #2 of 9
Nice review, so do you think these are keepers for you?
In my experience they did improve after burn-in and I would agree to what you hear, but there are no foam tips included in mine.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 9
I gave them away as I don't need them but they are excellent for the price. Burn-in didn't make too much difference.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 9
Thank you for your detailed reviewing,
I purchased this IEM in 2012 after reading ClieOS's review and used for 2 months before returning to use other IEMs.  
In your review, you listed all of advantages of this IEM, but I had bad experiences for other head-fiers can consider before buying. 
1) Bass is very punch, and focus on mid-bass => mid is recessed and laid back much. 
2) Relaxation is not good, I cannot few comfortable when wearing.
1 + 2 => feel much of air pressure with any bass-heavy kind of music.  
3) Wire is too long and big => inconvenient. 

After 2 months, it was broken due to disconnection inside the plug => I return to use some budget IEMs like Philips SHE3580 and Monoprice 8320 => better sound and feeling, for sure.  
My friend also purchased T-peos Rich100, this IEM is more balance in sound compared to D-200 series, but it also broken after 2 months. 
When the T-Peos H-100J hybrid IEM was sell at price of 45000 KRW (43$) in Korea, I really want to buy but after considering the durability, I decide not to buy it.

Some real experiences. Thanks for reading.  

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 9
Interesting experiences. Did you not get them replaced under warranty?

I have just received the H-300, which is a spectacular IEM.

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 9
Congratulations for getting the H-300. 
I'm a foreigner in Korea, so it is difficult to contact with company by Korean language.
If we want to return the product, we have to send it via a particular post service. It's really complicated.  
But at last, I soldered my T-Peos recently and it can work now. 

If you are in Korea, you will find the price of Korean brand earphones or headphones much lower than global price. 
For my own, after using some LG's great IEM (quadbeat 1, 2 & GS100) now I'm really enjoy the Korean's Xacarero PS-30 Dynamic IEM with sound-pipe patented technology.
I never seen anyone in this forum used or reviewed about this brand.   

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 9
Hey guys, can you make a comparison of the d202 compared to other iems in its price range? I'm planning on buying these and i dont have an idea on how they actually sound like. I cannot try and test them first because I'm buying online. And the seller that I'm buying from doesn't have a return policy. So these iem are not durable enough for everyday use?

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 9
"the bass isn't very fast in attack so it struggles to keep up with metal, but is very articulate on slower recordings."

The problem is not in attack, rather in its thinness. Simply not enough of mid- and upper-bass. One of the ugliest earphones for metal ever.
these don't have the most detailed or well defined highs

Probably because the sibilance is off the charts, of what you forgot to mention. Up in the treble things are nearly perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back