Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
Jun 11, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #1,006 of 1,164
These are the features HTC claims they have. Is this for real? How does this compare with the Xiaomi Piston 3?

Specifications:

• Driver Unit: 13mm, Dynamic
  • Diaphragm: PEEK
  • Frequency Response: 10-40kHz
  • Sensitivity: 106 dB/mW
  • Impedance: 35Ω (at 1kHz)
  • Cord Type: OFC, Y-type
  • Power Handing Capacity: 100 mW
Features:

• Hi-Res audio certified
  • Large 13mm dynamic driver for stronger bass and richer treble
  • Aerospace-grade ultra thin (8μm) PEEK diaphragm delivers more powerful sound
  • Ergonomically designed to fit your ear comfortably
  • Double the sound range (10Hz-40kHz)

I don't understand much about these specs but I believe that what makes HTC claim they are Hi Resolution is the frequency response range (10Hz-40kHz) since the Xiaomi Piston 3 claim to have only from
20-20,000 Hz http://www.mi.com/en/headphones3/#param

Being "Hi-Res Certified" really doesn't mean all that much. As Voxie said, some of the best headphones don't even have that sticker, yet are still very highly-rated. What matters more is quality of parts, how everything is put together or implemented, how it's tuned/EQ'd, etc. I purchase Hi-Res recordings often, and I can tell you I don't do so b/c they're higher resolution. ANYTHING above mp3 (even lossy 256kbps+ AAC) will sound better (and IMO, 256kbps+ AAC will sound THE SAME as some huge Hi-Res 24/96 or 24/192 or even DSD file as long as they are from the SAME master). I do so b/c in my experience, studios reserve the BEST sounding masters for Hi-Res releases. I usually can hear a difference b/t it and the mp3 version of a song or album I have, and even still a CD I have too. CDs get "really good" masters and mp3s generally get the WORST sounding masters for their releases. It is what it is. And it's easier to market "numbers" than explanations like this one. lol (look honey, it has a higher resolution, so it must be better, right?! lol)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #1,007 of 1,164
according to gsmareana and some other reviews...the HTCU11 earbuds sound light years ahead of the ones inlucded in the s8.

having a sticker of a reputable brand company or hi-res certification doesn't always mean anything. you should never rely on labels on quality, but rather actuallly experiencing it for yourself.

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #1,008 of 1,164
Get what your saying Baselhas..."Hi-Res" certification? Seems to me its just some sort of marketing tag. Correct me if I am wrong but from observation lots of "high end" headphone manufactures don't have this tag labelled to its products. Which in itself makes up my mind. The Xiaomi Pistons 3 are great Earbuds and out match the included iems. But the HTC 10 is a fantastic sounding Phone. Cheers and keep well. Voxie....
what you think of sennheiser earbuds like cx300

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,009 of 1,164
No....
Hi-Res certification means the HTC 10 DAC is capable of processing 24-bit lossless files like FLAC.
HTC website
"For instance Just press play and you’ll hear how Hi-Res audio processing, 24-bit DAC and our new high performance headset amplifier are all carefully tuned to work together to deliver a true symphony of sound."

Cayin N3 has Hi-Res sticker because AK4490 Chip can process up to 32-Bit lossless (Useless since nothing is 32 bit yet.)
Or Aune M1S ESS Sabre 9018K2M 32bit/384k
I know that the HTC 10 DAC is capable of playing 32bits files. I was asking about the official included (except in USA) in ear headphones which HTC calls "Hi-Res Headphones"

Jun 11, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,010 of 1,164
I know that the HTC 10 DAC is capable of playing 32bits files. I was asking about the official included (except in USA) in ear headphones which HTC calls "Hi-Res Headphones"

You mean you were asking if the specs were just marketing hype?

Well, the specs may be real (10Hz - 40kHz) but you cannot HEAR that high up or that low, so in that manner the specs are hype.

Still, what matters is whether they sound good to you. Specs or no specs, you may prefer a different sound characteristic than these exhibit.

Terry

Jun 11, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #1,011 of 1,164
You mean you were asking if the specs were just marketing hype?

Well, the specs may be real (10Hz - 40kHz) but you cannot HEAR that high up or that low, so in that manner the specs are hype.

Still, what matters is whether they sound good to you. Specs or no specs, you may prefer a different sound characteristic than these exhibit.

Terry
Yeah it's incredibly rare to find anyone that can hear above 20 khz.

I mean unless they want your pet dog to be the one listening

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #1,014 of 1,164
what you think of sennheiser earbuds like cx300
Sorry, can't help you re the Senn's earbuds as i don't have any in my collection. Just listened to the iem's that came with my HTC 10 and hey they are actually very good. Just as a by the way..the HTC 10 sounds even better with PowerAmp as the go to guy RockStar2005 re all things HTC10 says.

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #1,015 of 1,164
Anyone have a promo code for the HTC10 that is more than $100 off? It would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #1,016 of 1,164
Anyone have a promo code for the HTC10 that is more than $100 off? It would be greatly appreciated.

Nirvana, as of yesterday, the HTC 10's price was discounted from $599 to $499. Check retailmenot.com or other sites for promo codes. They may or may not work. But $499 is a pretty good price. But they no longer offer Uh-Oh Protection for the 10 (just saw that), so you are prob better off buying New off eBay if you want my opinion.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #1,017 of 1,164
Jun 22, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #1,019 of 1,164
How do you get the USB audio out on the HTC10 to detect a Mojo DAC? I do not see the build number to tap 7 times to activate developer options.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #1,020 of 1,164
Ok I activated developer options while at work and I will try detecting my Mojo DAC tonight after work.I hope it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back