Review of JBL LSR305
Sep 9, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #16 of 65
I guess that having horn loaded speakers before myself I would have a good Idea how this type acoustic loading sounds. It is unmistakable, it's there & it sounds very nice indeed.

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 65
Note that some idiot added that to the article in its recent history. Probably the company website that is used as a reference for that section because they wanted to call their waveguide a horn, and none of the people that wrote the article to begin with picked up on that change. The first paragraph of the article quite clearly defines the purpose of a horn.

And I don't how you can "hear" to know that the waveguide is adding any significant acoustic loading. You'd have to measure the tweeter with and without the waveguide to determine if that's happening. Note that JBL makes no claims of that in their description of their waveguide technology.

I guess he's an idiot now that that he doesn't totally agree with you & you can't use them to totally disprove me. These "idiotic" sayings are found through out the article. You can have your opinion & I can have mine. both are covered in this article so let's please end this now. I'm sticking by what wrote in the review.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #18 of 65
I guess he's an idiot now that that he doesn't totally agree with you & you can't use them to totally disprove me. These "idiotic" sayings are found through out the article. You can have your opinion & I can have mine. both are covered in this article so let's please end this now. I'm sticking by what wrote in the review.

No. Whoever made that edit was always an idiot cherry picking a source which no longer exists (check the reference). That is the only place in the article that attempts to conflate the two as if they are the same thing. The version previous to that addition is accurate.

And notably, you dodged my point that you can't know if the wave guide is providing acoustic loading without measuring the tweeter without the wave guide. You do know that is not possible, right? :rolleyes:

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #19 of 65

Great review. Came close to ordering an LSR310S today, but the idea popped up of replacing my LSR305 with LSR308, and needed to be looked into first before finally being rejected. If If there was more space in from of the desk, the 308 might have worked. Imo 5" monitors are borderline acceptable in terms of size for desktop mounting, but the JBL's sound so-o-o good. 

I listened to the 308's & was considering buying them but were way over kill on the bass. Some reviews mentioned the same. The 305's were better balanced through their spectrum than the 308's. midrange was still quite good on the 308's though in spite of the overdone bass. I would only go with the 308's if you quite a large room to soak up some that bass. not good for smallish rooms, even guitar centers somewhat large room was rather over powered by the 308's

My listening space is acoustically compromised as it is, so I'm sticking with the 305. Tweeter to ear distance while at the computer is 32", maximum would be 45". 

My LSR310S should arrive in a week or two. Not sure if it would be helpful to set the LF Trim to -2dB, as the manual gives little reference to how to use than control.

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #20 of 65
My listening space is acoustically compromised as it is, so I'm sticking with the 305. Tweeter to ear distance while at the computer is 32", maximum would be 45". 

My LSR310S should arrive in a week or two. Not sure if it would be helpful to set the LF Trim to -2dB, as the manual gives little reference to how to use than control.

Glad to here that. Hopefully that sub works well for you.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #21 of 65

you get your sub yet?

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #22 of 65

you get your sub yet?

Sorry for the late reply. The LSR310S came and went. Tried to make it work but sold it because it crowded my work space. In terms of audio imo its an excellent+ match for the LSR 305. Was really sad to see it go.  

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #23 of 65
Here's my recent thread on these wonders. Maybe I should have created the thread in this section of the forum instead... Anyway, after my initial excitement wore off, I am happy that I actually still find my headphones enjoyable to listen to... as long as I don't try to compare them to the speakers. Comparing even HD800 against LSR305 I just can't help but hear a significant reduction in realism and immersion with the former vs. the latter. HD800's "great soundstage" is basically nonexistent next to the LSR305, but I guess that's to be expected. HD800 sounds very confined and awfully small in scale next to the speakers. In terms of technicalities, I honestly feel that LSR305 is more resolving than HD800, especially in the mids. I hear much richer harmonics from the speakers, especially with live instruments. Listening to Candy Dulfer's "Lily Was Here" with HD800, I find the sound overly dry, thin, and lacking fine resolution, especially when the guitar hits those highs...At first I even thought that maybe it was a problem with my hearing - that perhaps my ears just weren't good enough to hear the fine details... until I heard the track with the LSR305s. Basically, LSR305 make it sound almost like a live performance unfolding in front of me and all the rich overtones and harmonics from the guitar and sax than I was expecting to hear and didn't hear through HD800 are there with the LSR305s... Or maybe the extra detail from the LSR305s is just reverb from my room? God, I hope not...lol

I have to say that I do find my Fidelio X2 and NAD HP50 to sound more natural and closer to the LSR305s in tonality than HD800. I think headphones with some reasonable bass and low midrange boost, like the HP50s and X2s sound more natural and speaker-like than neutral headphones like HD800... Still, none I heard can touch the LSR305s in realism. The main problem is that headphones just don't have soundstage and sound terribly in-the-head when AB'ed against the LSR305s, even the HD800s. I wonder if something like Smyth Realizer can really help with this limitation of headphones. That thing is crazy expensive though. Any of you guys have experience with it or something similar?

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #24 of 65

Sorry for the late reply. The LSR310S came and went. Tried to make it work but sold it because it crowded my work space. In terms of audio imo its an excellent+ match for the LSR 305. Was really sad to see it go.  

sorry to hear that

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #25 of 65
Hello it's me again.

I've done some minor modifications to my LSR305’S & I really like what I'm hearing now with them. They have a warmer but also brighter tone at the same time & without any significant harshness, just incredible detail. Smooth & easy to listen to. Draws you into the music rather than harshly throwing it in your face but still retaining incredible punch, in fact better punch than before. It all has to do with the coupling capacitors. Changing them from electrolytic to metalized film capacitors.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #26 of 65
Did one other mod to the LSR305's. I replaced the capacitor that acts as a bleed from the negative feedback to ground. This controls the gain of the amp. This was a 100 uf electrolytic capacitor. I replaced it with a 12uf metalized film capacitor. There is no loss of bass due to the smaller capacitor as the electrolitic was at least ten times bigger than requied to get full frequency response. Bass is actually improved both quantity & quality.

This mod was done as the last one while it increased the warmth of the sound many vocals had a slightly thick character that I find unappealing in the long run. This last mod corrects that characteristic. That sound is still very slightly warm but not excessively unlike before. The bass is full & highly detailed.

Imaging of the speakers have dramatically improved & now you can rarely tell where the speakers are given the sound produced. Imaging is wider & stage is very deep when called apon.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #27 of 65
Can't stop listening to this setup since modifying the LSR305's. They sound absolutely incredible. They sounded very good stock but WOOOOOOOOOOOOW modified. Slightly warm but extremely highly detailed at the same time & almost never congested which stock they were congested at times. Even complex choral music sounds very open, airy & detailed.

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #28 of 65
I don't know that I have the chops but others might appreciate some detail as to the mods performed. Sounds like money and time wellwell spent.

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #29 of 65
I made some more modifications, I changed both the negative feedback bleed caps for the input opamp to 12uf metalized films from 22uf & 100uf electrolytic caps. The sound is now less excessively warm, only warm sounding when the music call for it. It now sounds more like what you expect to hear from live sound I.E. no softening of transients & sound is more harmonically rich. It is a very powerful sound. Bass is still very powerful for the size of speaker matching the original bass for extension & power but harmonically richer.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #30 of 65
I took my 2 sets of JBL LSR305S to my friends house where he has a computerized frequency response measurement tool & we compared the stock verus modified speakers frequency response & the 2 sets almost perfecly overlayed each other.

The only differences were above 4 KHz there was a slight & gradual increase in output topping out at about 1db at 20KHz. This to me was not enough of a difference to explane the differences that I was hearing. The improvement in detail & harmonic retrieval were substantial compared to stock though you could only get the impression of a slight improvement from the frequency response plot so there is more going on with my mod than the plot suggests. This 1db increase in output actually brings the output closer to flat according to the measurement program.

The sound is substantially more lively & detailed. The sound on voices has less thickness to it. It sounds more like listening to a live unamplified voice rather than being passed through a PA. It is this type of sound I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back