Recommodation for Custom IEM
Feb 18, 2017 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

loephi

New Head-Fier
Hi there

First of all i would like to introduce myself, because i'm a new member to this forum.

My name is Phil and i am an engineering student from Switzerland. Im Interested in Hifi ever since i was perhaps 12-13 years old.

I am currently trying to build up a new mobile setup. At home i am listening to a Revox B285 Receiver with Dynaudio Speakers and i am more than satisfied with this combo.

The last few years i was using Headphones on the go, because i seem to have pretty special ear canals, that just wont fit regular in earphones. The only exclusion where Shure Se 215, with the big Foam Tip, but they were also falling out quite often, so you can imagine i have really big ear canals or at least awkwardly shaped ones. But i don't like the shure's sound so much, for me its too bassy and not very clear sounding.

For me it was always a bit of a problem to carry headphones with me all the time. I am currently using V-Moda crossfade wireless and Beyerdynamic Custom One pro's on the go.

Because of the portability i was lately searching for something more portable. So i started to look for custom in ear monitors, because i think they are an option for me to finally use some pretty portable in ear monitors, without carrying a big bulky headphone.

Second thing that i think would be great, is the fact that i often wish to have just earplugs to study in silence, because our learning rooms in the university are very noisy, so the monitors can perhaps also be used as simple Hearing "protection" ;D

Also i am a sport shooter, so the monitors might even be used on the shooting ranch.

As a source i am using an iphone 7 with the problem of the missing Headphone Jack. So i am either stuck to a dac/amp wich is again not very portable or the 3.5mm adapter from Apple which ive already lost. I then found the AAW capri lightning IEM Cable which i supported on Indiegogo, so i can have a "lightning Headphone cable" with integrated dac and symmetrical wiring, which i hope to use on my new CIEM's.

As i was browsing through AAW's site i discovered the fact that only 10km from my homeplace there is an authorized reseller of AAW Custom In Ear Monitors. Which would also to the molding and shipping process ect. So i am basically looking for an Custom IEM from this company.

I researched quite a bit and found 3 Monitors, which will fit my Budget and should also meet my requirements

1. The AAW Musiker Line a2h pro
2. The AAW Musiker Line a3h pro
3. The AAW M20

As you can see from my selection i am willing to spend 600 Dollars at most. But i wont get angry if it will be less to spend because i'm still a student.:D

I am listening Music across all genres, so i think im leaning towards neutral sound with a bit warmer sounding, a slight bass boost won't be a problem for me (I am using my COP on setting 0 or 1 depending on the genre).

i am a big fan of clear and crisp sound (excuse my description of sonic attributes, i am not a very good english speaker). I hate it when headphones sound muddy. I once had a Phonak Audeo 132 which i liked quite a lot, but again the seal was bad even with the big shure foam tips.

Can anyone of you give me a recommendation on what product may suit my style best of these three monitors?

I like the idea of the hybrid system and from what i understand in the reviews i read the dynamic driver will deliver a bit more oomph in the base then the m20's double BA drivers. So i am leaning more to the hybrid ones.

The only other Monitor i could also imagine to buy is an UE 4 pro, because i also have a retailer in less than 10 km's which supports direct 3D ear scanning, may this UE Monitor suit my needs better?

Have i got that right, that the models without a pro ending like AAW a2h have normal sized nozzles with a silicon tip and the ones with a pro like a2h pro have a full custom appearance like ue and jh monitors?

thanks in advance for help, i will appreciate comments of each of this 4 monitors

regards Phil

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 20
I haven't heard the AAW gear, my apologies. There is a company in Poland, however, that is making a truly excellent budget CIEM. The company is called Custom Art and the IEM is called the Custom Art Music Two. I've only head them once and they weren't mine, so fit wasn't perfect, but the sound was outstanding. You might look into Custom Art. They represent a terrific value on the order of 375 euros or so. Very affordable.They have a good website. You might check it out and see what you think..

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 20
I totally agree with serman. Geographically speaking, you better go to UE for 3D scan yout ear, or order from Custom Art. Capri should be compatible on both.

Anyways, I personally recommend Custom Art. Piotr's service is among the best, if not THE best. Music One should serve your taste. If not, just EQ it. Music One responds really well with EQ.

But if you insist:
I have AAW M20 and auditioned A2H and A3H.

M20 is among clearest on AAW musiker line. But bass is still there, I don't really miss anything for normal listening. If anything, it's has almost no rumble, but EQ can fix that, just use 'Dance' on your iPhone.

A2H and A3H bass feels overpowered. Still excellent, but for me it's just, too much.

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 20
Hi guys

Thank you very much for your help, appreciate it.

i am going to check out the custom arts earphones for sure.

@daulagiri  thank you very much for your comments.

I think the capri cable is not working with ue Monitors. The capri has the normal recessed socet, while UE has this awkward reversed recessed cable. On the UE's the cable basicaly is put over a socet on the iem.

So the UE might be out of my 4 Monitors i was considering. I am able to change the connector on the capri to the ue connector through null audio, but i hate this propietary types of connectors. 

So i will stick with a monitor with the good old recessed socket.

Finally someone who has at least heard all the three monitors i am considering. You mentioned both hybrids have to much bass, can you give me a comment on the quantity of bass?

Is much to much bass like the shure se 215 for instance, or is it just a bit to much which you dont like?

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 20
Lucky you I also have SE215 :D.

Both A2H and A3H have more bass vs SE215. But with better bass quality and overall clarity. If EDM/Rap/HipHop is your main genre, get it. But FYI Ei.3 from custom art also offer great bass, while still maintain balanced sound.

Not to discourage you to order from AAW, but geography might ruin your first CIEM experience if things go sideways (e.g. Refit, shipping, tax slap).

For me, I live in Singapore so AAW is perfect for my first CIEM experience :). And they deliver!! Now I have this CIEM upgraditis and collectitis. No cure yet :frowning2:.

CMIIW, UE socket should accept standard 2 pin cable. But just without sleeve, so the connection won't be as secure as native UE plug.

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 20

hi daulagiri

Thank you so much for this informations. So based on the fact the a2h and a3h seem to offer even more bass than the se 215 i think they are out of the game....

I think i have no big problem with the geographical situation with aaw. I have the luck to have an official retailer near me which will do everything for the customer so i basically have to walk in there they also make my impressions, send them for me receive the iems, and i can get them in their store when they are here. The only downside is the long waiting....

i think i made up my desicion now.

i will go to the other dealer i mentioned and try out the ue 4 pro. I know that he has demos to listen to

If this will be good i am going to change the connector to ue type on the capri cable. I found out AAW does support other connectors than 2 pin recessed an mmcx's, because there is also the ue plug mentioned. the connectors will be changed by null audio.

if the ue 4 pro does not meet my interest i am going to buy some custom art music two.

sorry if i resist against your recommondations, but i really perfer the fact that i can either get a all in one package for aaw( Impression making, sending them etc.) or even the 3d scan by ue direct near my homeplace.

thanks a lot for the great help

i will keep you updated on what i finally decided

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 20
Lucky you I also have SE215 :D.

Both A2H and A3H have more bass vs SE215. But with better bass quality and overall clarity. If EDM/Rap/HipHop is your main genre, get it. But FYI Ei.3 from custom art also offer great bass, while still maintain balanced sound.

Not to discourage you to order from AAW, but geography might ruin your first CIEM experience if things go sideways (e.g. Refit, shipping, tax slap).

For me, I live in Singapore so AAW is perfect for my first CIEM experience :). And they deliver!! Now I have this CIEM upgraditis and collectitis. No cure yet :frowning2:.

CMIIW, UE socket should accept standard 2 pin cable. But just without sleeve, so the connection won't be as secure as native UE plug.
Hi,

I'm also using SE215 and since I love its isolation, I'm looking towards buying my first CIEM. I use a lot of Facebook and Youtube, so I guess I need the CIEM to be NOT so picky with the source. I play Dota and CSGO so I need its positional audio to be decent as well. For music, I mainly listen to Yuki Kajiura OSTs (instrumental) and songs (female vocal) (Yuki's music in this link ), piano, violin.
This will be my first CIEM so I prefer it to be affordable, but if there is a mid-end CIEM that can suit all my listed needs, then I guess I push my budget and go for it :D
Please give me your advice. Thanks a lot

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 20
Hi,

I'm also using SE215 and since I love its isolation, I'm looking towards buying my first CIEM. I use a lot of Facebook and Youtube, so I guess I need the CIEM to be NOT so picky with the source. I play Dota and CSGO so I need its positional audio to be decent as well. For music, I mainly listen to Yuki Kajiura OSTs (instrumental) and songs (female vocal) (Yuki's music in this link ), piano, violin.
This will be my first CIEM so I prefer it to be affordable, but if there is a mid-end CIEM that can suit all my listed needs, then I guess I push my budget and go for it :D
Please give me your advice. Thanks a lot

Lol your preference scarily similar with mine. Not picky with source, decent stage, classic instrument. I often losing myself listening to Nobuo Uematsu, check him out!

Without hesitation, I'll recommend FIBAE series from Custom Art. FIBAE 1 is a single driver with balanced sound, FIBAE 2 is a dual driver with slightly fun v-shaped tuning.

Both are brighter vs SE215, but I never feel they lack bass. Both are musical, but I never missing detail. FIBAE tech makes them source agnostic, means their signature won't be affected by output impedance. Yet SQ scales up with better source.

On other note, when ordering your first CIEM, ensure to get good impressions. Go to reputable audiologist. I can't emphasize enough that ear impressions quality is most important factor that can make or break your first CIEM journey.

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 20
Lol your preference scarily similar with mine. Not picky with source, decent stage, classic instrument. I often losing myself listening to Nobuo Uematsu, check him out!

Without hesitation, I'll recommend FIBAE series from Custom Art. FIBAE 1 is a single driver with balanced sound, FIBAE 2 is a dual driver with slightly fun v-shaped tuning.

Both are brighter vs SE215, but I never feel they lack bass. Both are musical, but I never missing detail. FIBAE tech makes them source agnostic, means their signature won't be affected by output impedance. Yet SQ scales up with better source.

On other note, when ordering your first CIEM, ensure to get good impressions. Go to reputable audiologist. I can't emphasize enough that ear impressions quality is most important factor that can make or break your first CIEM journey.
LOL I listen to FF OSTs all the time :))) My fav are Tatakau Monotachi, JENOVA to pump me up, Eyes on me, Tifa's, Aeris's Theme to cool me down :D Absolutely love FF Piano collections <3
Don't tell me you listen to Heroes Might and Magic IV OSTs too, that would be insane :))
Anw, is it worth spending an extra 175 eur to get the FIBAE 2 instead of FIBAE 1?
There is a Custom Art distributor in my country, so I guess they will know how to take good impression.

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 20
Lol.. i listen to all kind of OSTs, they help me focus :).

2 vs 1 differs in tuning and signature. I feel that FIBAE 1 more suited to those purist who crave flat response. FIBAE 2 has more effortless/fun sound signature that blends nicely with any genre.

Ask yourself which one you prefer: SE215/535 or SE315/425. If you like the former, go with FIBAE2. Latter with FIBAE 1.

Music series are affordable and have incredible value. But mind you they aren't source agnostic.

I've music one myself. While it's an excellent CIEM, I've find it lacks something paired to my phone. Plus side, it responds well to EQ so no complain :).

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #13 of 20
Lol.. i listen to all kind of OSTs, they help me focus :).

2 vs 1 differs in tuning and signature. I feel that FIBAE 1 more suited to those purist who crave flat response. FIBAE 2 has more effortless/fun sound signature that blends nicely with any genre.

Ask yourself which one you prefer: SE215/535 or SE315/425. If you like the former, go with FIBAE2. Latter with FIBAE 1.

Music series are affordable and have incredible value. But mind you they aren't source agnostic.

I've music one myself. While it's an excellent CIEM, I've find it lacks something paired to my phone. Plus side, it responds well to EQ so no complain :).
I just realized I used the term "source" wrongly. What I meant was I want my CIEM to be forgiving with "audio files". Since I use a lot of Facebook and Youtube, where there are many low bit rate audio files, I'd like the CIEM to be forgiving and not make these files sound so much like poop :p In this aspect then which suits me best among Music 1, 2; FIBAE 1, 2?
My source is either my laptop or my Sansa Clip Zip btw

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #14 of 20
Still FIBAE :). It's better to future proof your purchase.

Music series won't give you the most with your current setup. FIBAE will scale up nicely if you decide to upgrade later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back