Recable HD650: MiniXLR? purely for aesthetic reasons.
Apr 7, 2011 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spiftacu1ar

Head-Fier
Hello,
   I have had my hd650's for some time now, and want to do a recable, mostly because the cable is too long and unruly. I want to do a balanced cable for if/when I get a balanced setup. I've never been a fan of huge connectors and what not, and so I definately want a singel 5pin connector rather than 2 3pin connectors. However, I discovered miniXLR (ive also seen it as tini q-g, not dire what the right thing to call it is), and sorta like the idea, as it seems like a really small connector.

I did some searches, and can't find any threads of people using them. Switchcraft seems to be the only manufacturer of these connectors, and the max wire diameter is .170", but the smaller mogami star quad (W2893) is .189"
Does anyone know of a way to make this all work? Either a different cable, or some way to get the mogami to fit in there.

Thanks for the help.

Other than that, the plan is to use the cardas hd650 connectors, and cover the cables in multifilament (if I can find it in the right diameter). Cover the last bit of the cable (the left right portion) in paracord sleeving.
Then, of course, I will make some adapters since I don't have balanced equipment yet (Thinking about making a balanced buffalo DAC, and haven't though of what amp yet, but prolly some AMB project)

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 6
wear are you putting these xlr plugs?

For the amp end of the cable use a single full size 4-pin XLR.

For the headphone end use the Cardas HD600 connectors. 

Done. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 6
Yes, XLR plug will go at the amp end of the cable, and cardas connectors on the headphone end

Anyhow, like I said, the point of the miniXLR is purely for aesthetic reasons, so if its possible to use it, I would much rather do that. I know I could easily make everything work with a full size XLR, but that means a huge fat connector inline, since I'm gonna need a XLR to 1/4" adapter to connect to my existing equipment

Lastly, don't I need 5 pin, not 4 pin for a proper balanced setup? (L+, L-, G, R-, R+)
I'm not sure if I am right about that, but that is my understanding. Isn't that why when you have a cable for each channel, they are 3 pins each, not 2 pins?

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 6
The headphones are not connected to ground in a balanced headphone amp, If your in the mood to shield your cables (which seems to be out of vogue anyways) use the shell of the connectors, which should be connected to chassis ground. 

The use of 3-pin XLRs on headphones and amplifier outputs is a leftover from many years ago. The ground pin is not used in these applications. 4-pin FTW

Full sized XLR are not that big. Considering the adapters that will be necessary for whatever you choose (When there are multiple standards, and a few fringe options, you are guaranteed to pick the wrong one. prepare yourself by making adapters). From the few times I have used a mini XLR any advantage in size is more than made worthless by the fact that you cant hold them unless you have little girl hands (I actually have little girl hands, and Im still not convinced - maybe I need to find a child to help?) Leave the mini-XLRs for restricted space applications with infrequent plugging. Use a full size XLR. 

2X3pin or 1x4pin are the 2 most common balanced headphone connections on home amps. By adhering to one of these 2 (and 2x3pin is antiquated) you have MANY more options when it comes time to sell your toys and move on to other things. Same goes for amps. full sized 4-pin XLR FTW.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Ok, Thanks for the explanantion. I am convinced
beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 6
Sorry to dig up an old thread...  Did you ever attempt to do this.  I've recently been considering the same thing.  I would love to put the 4 pin mini xlr in but am unsure where to install them or where to route the wires.  I haven't formulated a good plan yet...  If you did attempt this, do you have pictures of the final result?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back