Presentation (new member)
Jul 26, 2017 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jony MC

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

My name is João and I am form Portugal. In the last 2 months or so I have been searching for new headphones, because my last ones broke (multiple times), and I noticed that this forum has high quality information posted by many knowledgeable people, and I signed up to be part of this community.

The result of my search: I acquired a Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO, but I was unsatisfied with it because of distortions in the treble, namely in vocals, in sound such as "S", "F", and, to a lesser extent, "Th". Thus, I returned it and I am waiting for the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X (as a replacement), I think it cannot go wrong with this reputable cans.

I used to own a gaming headset (Plantronics Gamecom 788), but I decided to start to prime sound quality over the expensive design, branding and unnecessary features of these headsets.

I have previously owned the Plantronics 380 and the cheap E-Blue Cobra. The latter were my first decent headphones, and by decent I mean that they were not just a piece of plastic with a cable and the cheapest drivers on the market.

If anyone wants personal feedback on these headphones just ask, I used each of them almost everyday for at least 1 year, except for the DT990 which I used for 1 month.

Best,
Joao

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 10
The 990 Pro at 250 ohms right? They do draw a lot of power so if you were running them through the audio card on a motherboard (or similar), they will probably distort quite easily. The M50X on the other hand are much easier to drive, I think you'd like them as long as you enjoyed the treble on the 990 pro; the M50X are a bit bright if I remember correctly. Welcome!

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 10
The 990 Pro at 250 ohms right? They do draw a lot of power so if you were running them through the audio card on a motherboard (or similar), they will probably distort quite easily. The M50X on the other hand are much easier to drive, I think you'd like them as long as you enjoyed the treble on the 990 pro; the M50X are a bit bright if I remember correctly. Welcome!

Thank you very much.

Indeed I used the motherboard to power them. But knowing that issue I connected it to father's amplifier, an Audiolab 8000A, which drove them very easily (I had to be quite careful with the volume knob). The distortion was still there, perhaps even worse because the higher the volume the more noticeable the distortion is. At a certain point I thought it was just me that was to sensitive to the treble, but I was OK with the claps, snares and plates of drumsets, higher pitch voices, etc

I was thinking of getting a amp, but now with the M50X there is no need. In a few months I may think about getting a DAC/amp combo, analyse if it is worth it or not. But for now I will end up better off with the M50X.

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Thank you very much.

Indeed I used the motherboard to power them. But knowing that issue I connected it to father's amplifier, an Audiolab 8000A, which drove them very easily (I had to be quite careful with the volume knob). The distortion was still there, perhaps even worse because the higher the volume the more noticeable the distortion is. At a certain point I thought it was just me that was to sensitive to the treble, but I was OK with the claps, snares and plates of drumsets, higher pitch voices, etc

I was thinking of getting a amp, but now with the M50X there is no need. In a few months I may think about getting a DAC/amp combo, analyse if it is worth it or not. But for now I will end up better off with the M50X.

Sounds like a plan! I've never heard the 50's but I'm "that audio guy" in my friend circle and family, and I helped my cousin pick out the M30X which are exceptionally clean and balanced for the price. A bit boring for my taste but I've heard the 50X are more "fun". Definitely let us know how you like them :D

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 10
Personally, I find the M50x (which I have) to have a sort of overly exuberent bass that is somewhat unpleasant. Of course, we are all different and all view these things differently, but I actually prefer the M40x and the M30x (also have these two) to the M50x. That said, if you liked the low end on the DT990 250, you may find the M50x bass quite appealing actually. YMMV, of course. I wish you good luck with them.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 10
Well when you say "S" and "F" has distortion that is what is called sibilance. I don't think I would call it distortion it is just a very bright can producing high frequencies that don't appeal to you.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 10
Actually heard a pair of M50's this past weekend at the Pittsburgh meet and the owner had put a pair of Brainwavz HM 5 pads over the original pads and it did tend to tame the bloated bass usually associated with the M50's.

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Well when you say "S" and "F" has distortion that is what is called sibilance. I don't think I would call it distortion it is just a very bright can producing high frequencies that don't appeal to you.

I think you are right, the DT990 did not produce distortion, to be rigorous with the wording. They over-emphasized those sounds (at least to my taste). I have also lent the DT990 to a colleague of mine to see whether it was just me who noticed that, but he also noticed that over-sibilance.
I do not know whether it is a urban myth, but I heard that the older you get the less sensitive you are to high frequencies. I am 22 and so is my colleague, that could explain our sensitivity to a bloated sibilance.

Personally, I find the M50x (which I have) to have a sort of overly exuberent bass that is somewhat unpleasant. Of course, we are all different and all view these things differently, but I actually prefer the M40x and the M30x (also have these two) to the M50x. That said, if you liked the low end on the DT990 250, you may find the M50x bass quite appealing actually. YMMV, of course. I wish you good luck with them.

Actually heard a pair of M50's this past weekend at the Pittsburgh meet and the owner had put a pair of Brainwavz HM 5 pads over the original pads and it did tend to tame the bloated bass usually associated with the M50's.

Although I enjoy listening to the whole range of frequencies, with none of them (bass, mids or treble) over-powering the rest, I slightly bloated bass does not bother me. Actually I am a bit of a basshead, but just a bit, not a beats-by-dr-dre-basshead.
Still, I will think about getting those ear pads, not only to improve/flatten the sound but to improve the comfort and hopefully durability.

May 15, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 10
I'd be curious to hear if you end up liking the AT 50x.

UPDATE

After 1 month of getting the M50X I got an amp and a DAC. Since then my setup has been the following:
1. ODAC (JDS Labs) w/ stock USB cable
2. AudioQuest Tower RCA cable
3. Fiio K5 amp
4. Audio Technica M50X w/ Brainwavz HM 5 hybrid pads + 4 toilet paper circles (on each side) between the pads and the cans (initially I used just 2 to compensate for the thinner foam of the Brainwavz pads compared with the stock pads, but then increase to 4 to be able further increase the volume and keep the treble on check) - I had no foam available at the time

Here a brief review of each of these items:

1. ODAC
Enhances the sound stage and the sound becomes more layered (Note: This is the difference I find between plugging my headphones to the PC 3.5mm output vs ODAC + Amp, please not that it is "+ Amp"). I do not find an astronomical difference between the ODAC and the internal sound card of my PC. Still, ODAC is better.
My ODAC has something shaking inside and the 3.5mm output doesn't work. It came like that from the shop. I asked them to swap but they don't have another one and they won't give me my money back. As I use RCA, which seems to work properly, I just kept it.

2. AudioQuest Tower RCA cable
Probably the biggest disappointment of my setup. A cable has just one job: pass the digital signal with no interference. To do so, AudioQuest puts a thick shield to avoid it, but then it makes a connector that doesn't connect firmly to my amp. I have tried a way cheaper cable 3.5mm to RCA and it connects great! So its is not a problem from the amp. Sometimes I have to move my amp to ensure a good connection, otherwise I get left-right imbalance or other distortions. I don't want to sound to harsh, become most of the time the cable works well, but for such as premium and expensive cable it should work 110% of the time! Moreover, the Y shape of both ends combined with the high stiffness of the main cable (because of all the shielding) makes it challenging to find the right position for it to to sit on the table, while keep a good connection with the amp.

3. Fiio K5 amp
Love it! The big smooth knob combined with the 3 way gain switch give great control on the volume. The knob is analog, thus you can hear sound interference (scratch) when you raise of lower the volume with it. Personally I don't mind as I prefer analog knobs then digital ones, or worse having to use my keyboard to change the volume
It's a bit big, but I knew it before I bought it and I have the space for it on my desk.
In terms of sound, I did not really test it alone, I usually test together with the ODAC, as I mention above.

4. M50X
This is what matters, right!? The freaking headphones.
With the current modifications it seems to have relatively flat sound signature (though I am not expert), a tight controlled bass (I can really feel the air vibrating, still I do not find the bass bloated), the mids are there as they are supposed to be (in the DT990, for example, they were a bit shy due to a more pronounced V-shaped sound signature), and the treble is nice and clear, maybe sometimes a wee bit sharp for my taste (I am quite sensitive to the high treble), but more controlled than the DT990, even without the mods (stock pads and no toilet paper). The pads made it more comfortable, as the they are softer and provide depth which not only keeps the hear away from the hard foam covered plastic but also increases sound stage and makes the headphones more open, which makes the bass much more pleasant.
Overall, I am quite happy with these headphones and my whole setup in general.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back