Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?
Jan 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 551

Mischa23v

100+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]Hey everyone, I’m interested in seeing head-fi hearing range. Let’s see if all the money we spent ended up hurting our ears.[/size]
[size=medium]Here's a few links:[/size]

[size=medium]1.http://www.mediafire.com/?w6gpmot1gbkgim1,ucvq15nc26vjcab posted by xnor[/size]
[size=medium]2.http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/[/size]

WARNING: DO NOT TURN THE VOLUME UP IF YOU DON'T HEAR ANYTHING.

[size=medium]best regards,[/size]
[size=medium]mischa[/size]

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 551

you either hear a pich note or you don't. They all sound same.

Quote:
it depends. Should the 18khz sound pinch note like the first ones or just any sound?

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 551
What? I can't hear you!

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 551
Male 56 can hear 22khz faint surprised myself having worked in a machine shop for 35 years last 10 years with earplugs thats probably what saved me .

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 551
pretty impressive, my dad is 54 and he can only hear from 14khz - 17khz. Oh and please don't forget to vote.

Quote:
Male 56 can hear 22khz faint surprised myself having worked in a machine shop for 35 years last 10 years with earplugs thats probably what saved me .

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 551
Guess my hearing is going down hill..

Male, 35, 30 Hz to 17 KHz.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #10 of 551
Guys Please Don't forget to vote.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 551
Using the only cans I have on me - HD598s, so they're wide open (computer fan and office-mates are audible), I could hear up to 19khz - had to turn up the volume a bit past a comfortable level, though, past 18khz.  Beyond that, I didn't want to turn up the volume much more to see if I could hear the tones in the 20s.

Interesting test, though!

Here's the question - why does it matter?  Is there an (actual, not electronic) instrument that can produce those tones?

EDIT: Forgot the poll - Male, 26.  Also not going to vote until I listen in a quieter space.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #12 of 551

Please don't turn volume up, it's a very bad idea.

Quote:
Using the only cans I have on me - HD598s, so they're wide open (computer fan and office-mates are audible), I could hear up to 19khz - had to turn up the volume a bit past a comfortable level, though, past 18khz.  Beyond that, I didn't want to turn up the volume much more to see if I could hear the tones in the 20s.

Interesting test, though!

Here's the question - why does it matter?  Is there an (actual, not electronic) instrument that can produce those tones?

EDIT: Forgot the poll - Male, 26.  Also not going to vote until I listen in a quieter space.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #13 of 551
This is so funny. Male, age 23. By these mosquito tones I can hear all the way up to 22kHz. But when I start Adobe Audition and generate sweep tone 20 to 22 khz in 32/96 mode I can only hear up to 16kHz. that means this test is horse ... well you know what. Of course lower registers doesn't matter because ppl till old age are able to hear bass. You can say that my rig and headphones are crap an you will be damn right, but still. I think you can measure your hearing only with precise signal generator and reference quality rig and HP or specialized equipment, good luck!

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #14 of 551
[size=medium]I realized that lots of teens around my area use a ring tome with a 21khz tone. They do so because most of their teachers cannot hear the ringing of their cell phone.[/size]

[size=10pt]Quote:[/size]
[size=10pt]Originally Posted by Anathallo [/size]
[size=10pt]Using the only cans I have on me - HD598s, so they're wide open (computer fan and office-mates are audible), I could hear up to 19khz - had to turn up the volume a bit past a comfortable level, though, past 18khz. Beyond that, I didn't want to turn up the volume much more to see if I could hear the tones in the 20s.[/size]
[size=10pt]Interesting test, though![/size]
[size=10pt]Here's the question - why does it matter? Is there an (actual, not electronic) instrument that can produce those tones?[/size]
[size=10pt]EDIT: Forgot the poll - Male, 26. Also not going to vote until I listen in a quieter space.[/size]

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #15 of 551

hmm interesting, try youtube video? do you get same results.

Quote:
This is so funny. Male, age 23. By these mosquito tones I can hear all the way up to 22kHz. But when I start Adobe Audition and generate sweep tone 20 to 22 khz in 32/96 mode I can only hear up to 16kHz. that means this test is horse ... well you know what. Of course lower registers doesn't matter because ppl till old age are able to hear bass. You can say that my rig and headphones are crap an you will be damn right, but still. I think you can measure your hearing only with precise signal generator and reference quality rig and HP or specialized equipment, good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back