Philips SHP895 Appreciation Thread
Aug 24, 2006 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

m1k3-tets1

Head-Fier
Hi

I am quite new to this forum. I've been a happy owner of SHP895 for half a year now and can say they sound way better to me than my good ol' Senn HD590.
The bass goes down lower, mids are not recessed and highs are not shrill. And the bass punch is better too.
The soundcard I use is Terratec Aureon Space 7.1

Btw, 895s sell here in Russia for ~$35(!)

Any comments and impressions on SHP895 are welcome.
Thanks.

P.S. Excuse my Russian English.

Aug 24, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 25
I have read some good posts about their sound sig and lots of critical posts about their build quality (headband breaks).

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 25
Although they do sounds good FOR THE MONEY. it has its flaws.
About headband...they are nightmare. I have *ehm* glued mine for zillions of time, so much so that i'm kinda embarrased with it.

The good news is that i research a replacement can and i found this site and then everything go wrong....wallet wise.

Aug 25, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 25
Same deal with the HP890's. Beautiful and huge can. Decent sound. No amp needed. But needs to come with epoxy to fix the inevitable cracks.

Aug 25, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
I have read some good posts about their sound sig and lots of critical posts about their build quality (headband breaks).

that would be HP890, the SHP895's build quality is much better than that.

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 25
Wow...I discovered these cans! I am currently stuck in Asia on a long business outsourcing management assignment and I saw these Philips SHP895 cans for sale for about $60...so I purchase it. They sound remarkably like my W5000; very detailed and dynamic. I don't have any amp with me now so I can not compare directly with my W5000...but wow...what a great sound! It's like 90% W5000!!!...or maybe I am missing my W5000 too much
lambda.gif

The built quality is not bad and I like the tight fit. The soundstage is bigger than HD650/zu that I had (twice) in the past. I might buy another one for backup
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 25
Apparently not everyone likes the 895s all that much stock - here's some extensive modding action:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...80#post2463780
The rather high weight (some review states 330 g), fairly ear-warming earpads (worse than the 805's) and brightness issues of this model were already brought up back in the SHP805 review thread. These Philips cans aren't relatively inexpensive for no reason - the weight alone tells that materials are more towards the cheaper (instead of lighter) side of things. Typical case of consumer crap - not bad at first sight, but ultimately flawed due to badly chosen tradeoffs (in this case, trying to produce a full-blown (semi)open circumaural headphone for a good bit less than usual - doubtlessly a market niche, but hardly one that allows making good products).

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 25
I try my new 895 last two days - and can (still) say only Pros, nothing Contras. They are equal to Senn-555 and (at least once) was better (in highs on Jarre's "Oxygene (Part IV)")

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 25
I have a pair and these are the ones that I use when I want to listen to my HDTV without bothering anyone else.

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I can get another pair for the same price I paid for my first pair ($30). That pair is held together by duct tape.

I cannot help you with finding some 895s for $30 but here are a few options for SHP890s and SHP901s:

Philips HD Stereo Headphones HI-FI LO PRICE + FREE SHIP - eBay DJ Traditional Headphones, Headphones, Headsets, A V Accessories Cables, Electronics. (end time 11-Oct-08 11:25:45 AEST)

PHILIPS SBC-HP890 HiFi Stereo Headphones [SBC-HP890] - A$80.00 : M.A.N's Store!, Aussie Trusted eStore

Hope this helps,
Don

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 25
Sep 14, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SBC HP890*Repairs
icon10.gif

Cheeky...

Since you're in The Netherlands, why not call up the giant Philips Corp and give their heads a shake? In Dutch! Just give'em a call...

I loven the sound of these things but I really HATE it when a product like this comes out and has it's functions diminished by obvious design flaws.

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SBC HP890*Repairs
icon10.gif

Cheeky...

Since you're in The Netherlands, why not call up the giant Philips Corp and give their heads a shake? In Dutch! Just give'em a call...

I love the sound of these things but I really HATE it when a product like this comes out and has it's functions diminished by obvious design flaws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back